Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Moss?

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Packers have some older WR. If Moss impresses,practice squad should be a good possibility
    Change "some older" to "one older" and you have it right. The only spot open is possibly Driver's. Right now he is Dancing with the strars. Thompson and McCarthy both said they weren't sure if Driver was coming back or not. They had two guys on the practice squad last year to contend for that one spot. Jaron Harris signed with the Packers too and didn't last long. You'd think Moss would have know that. The Viqueens would have been a place to land. They need WR's. Coming from a guy who saw everyone Dale's plays last year and everone of the Packer's plays - Good Luck. I do wish him the best.

Comment

Written in the Green Bay Press Gazette today - "Pass-catchers: The Packers are loaded at receiver and tight end, so it’s no surprise they didn’t draft anyone at those positions. There will be enough competition as it is with practice squad receiver Tori Gurley attempting to land on the active roster and four tight ends jockeying for position behind Jermichael Finley."

I'm very confused why Dale chose Green Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        Change "some older" to "one older" and you have it right. The only spot open is possibly Driver's. Right now he is Dancing with the strars. Thompson and McCarthy both said they weren't sure if Driver was coming back or not. They had two guys on the practice squad last year to contend for that one spot. Jaron Harris signed with the Packers too and didn't last long. You'd think Moss would have know that. The Viqueens would have been a place to land. They need WR's. Coming from a guy who saw everyone Dale's plays last year and everone of the Packer's plays - Good Luck. I do wish him the best.
        Vigueens would have been smart to draft moss 7th round imo. Frankly the system stability the quaility of coaches the packers where a better choice. Even if he doesn't see the field he went to a winner which will only help him in the longer run.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

So what I'm missing in all of this questioning Moss to the Packers is...did he have another option? I'm sure someone "who has a friend that knows Dale's 3rd cousin twice removed heard from a guy at the gas station" can fill us in on all of his options.

The reality is he's getting a shot, plain and simple. No matter where he would have signed he's on the outside looking in, BUT he knows what he's up against and I would hope to damn heck he's going to do everything he can to land with someone (most likely a practice squad, but who knows). The fact is this, in 12 months he went from DI basketball player to getting a FA chance with an NFL team. Pretty sure he's got some skills and drive to make this last a while. And if the NFL doesn't work, there's always the CFL as a potential option

So, rather than questioning the decision, I say congratulations Dale on getting a shot. Make the most of it.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Vigueens would have been smart to draft moss 7th round imo. Frankly the system stability the quaility of coaches the packers where a better choice. Even if he doesn't see the field he went to a winner which will only help him in the longer run.
            Would be fun to see Moss in purple, but after taking two WR earlier in the draft there was no way they were going to take another receiver in the 7th round.

Comment

I'm sure he had more offers, but what was the $ with the deal? maybe his agent was thinking, that because of the veterans with the GB that he will get more reps in camp, and playing time in pre-season.

Comment

I'm with JamesJacks in that for selfish reasons, I would have loved to see him go to the Vikings. However, when they drafted two WRs from Arkansas in the second round, things didn't look good. Their second Hog, Greg Childs, has similar attributes to Moss with proven success in the SEC prior to injuring his patellar tendon his junior year. In my opinion, while Moss would have been higher on the initial depth chart with the Vikes, I believe he may ultimately find more lasting success by starting with the Pack.

The Pack has a history of developing lesser name wideouts. Their current roster both proves that and offers optimism.
                Donald Driver: 13 years in NFL out of Alcorn State - 7 years as a 1,000+ yd receiver, but last two 565 & 445 yds respectively. Retirement in not to distant future.
                Greg Jennings: Starting 7th year out of Western Michigan - was on pace for 1,300+ yards prior to injury and would have been his 4th consecutive 1,000+ yd season.
                Jordy Nelson: Led Pack with 15 TDs and 1,263 yards in 4th season out of K-State, not bad for a former walk-on.
                James Jones: 6th year receiver out of San Jose State who failed to start a single game for Pack for the first time in his career. While he had a career best 7 TDs, still limited to 635 yds.
                Randall Cobb: 2nd year receiver after All-America career at Kentucky where he was a QB, WR, and returned kicks. Next year will be key development year as he tries to become 3rd receiver.
                Shaky Smithson: Free Agent out of Utah who saw no action with Pack. Likely better returner than receiver with average size and skills, despite his ability to 'shake' defenders.
                Diondre Borel: FA from Utah State where he was a 3-year QB after playing as a WR his freshman year. Make or break year for average player of size and skill.
                Tori Gurly: FA from South Carolina, player most like Moss with excellent size and potential, made jump to NFL after only two marginal years as a letter winner for the Gamecocks.

Those are the eight receivers who were on the roster at the end of last season. As previously mentioned on this board, Driver is past his prime and could be cut or retires. Jennings and Nelson are the core of the receivers. Both are excellent role models in work ethic and proving what can happen from modest beginnings. Jones will likely have a journeyman career for the next couple of years at best, who knows if it will all be with the Pack. Cobb is the talent that will likely be developed as the third receiver, but if he fails to develop that paves the way for one of the free agents. Of the three free agents, Gurly is the player that Moss will likely need to beat out. He is 6'4" and 232 with tons of potential, but a limited history to base a future NFL career on. Borel and Smithson will likely compete for a last roster spot with the either facing the real potential of being cut.

I like the potential for Moss to develop this year. The Pack will likely utilize five receivers on the active roster this year. Two are potential pro-bowlers, one may retire, one is a journeyman at best, and one will be looked at hard as a third receiver. Moss will be competing with three free agents from last year and Marcus Rivers from Buffalo this year. Rivers is a large figure at 6'5" and 220 lbs, however, his 60 catches yielded only 600 yards and 2 TDs. Moss is a much better athlete. If Moss can prove that he is not as raw as other experts paint him, he should land a practice team position at the start of the year. With a year or two of development and no major roster changes for the Pack, he could become a legit Packer. While this would be exciting to see, I would still have a hard time rooting for the Pack.

Comment

Great article site on Moss on the Green Bay Press Gazette Packer site. http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...ketball-player

Comment

Dale Moss is an athlete that can find success in the NFL. I'd say if he adds some muscle and just gets a little more football savvy which comes with the experience- he can be a legitimate NFL WR.

Comment

The Sports Block May 1st

Our first reaction to the 2012 NFL Draft
                      http://chirb.it/Nrb5Kr

Our reaction to the Vikings Draft and our thoughts on Dale Moss signing with the Green Bay Packers
                      http://chirb.it/vmK1am

Our favorite and worst draft picks of all-time from our favorite teams and the Redskins taking Kirk Cousins
                      http://chirb.it/kgmhq5

The NBA and NHL Playoffs
                      http://chirb.it/dPCGx4

Travis shares some stories from his internship with the Charlotte Bobcats
                      http://chirb.it/vwAqq1
                      Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                      Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Packer podcast talks about Moss. The sportswriters are high on Moss. They think he has a good chance of sticking and these guys are cynical. They talk about him at about the 31 minute mark. They say his high jump of 41 1/2 and his broad jump of 10' 10" would be up at the top of the combine.
                        http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...oFile=74141465

Comment

Argus article on Dale: http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Reminder: Packers on ESPN at 7 tonight

Comment

Catch by Moss! It was for 8 yards. Great to see him get a catch and throw a couple of nice blocks.

Edit: He just got a second catch for 7 yards.
                              Edit 2: Third catch for 14 yards and bonus announcer talk about him being from South Dakota State and a former basketball player like Antonio Gates!

Comment

3 catches for 29 yds. He certainly has the look of a guy that can play in the league. Not sure if he'll crack the gameday active roster (this year) barring injury, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the practice squad.
                                Last edited by jacks1; 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM.
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X