New offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New offense?

On second thought, I wouldn't mind predictability if we are so good that we still can get it done, as in, "Here's what we're going to do. Good luck stopping us." I especially enjoy how demoralizing that can be for an opposing defense. We just might have the offensive line that can get us close to that point, maybe not in 2011, but 2012?
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      To get away from predictability,we have to be more "explosive",for lack of a better word,on offense.Too many third and longs.I like to see 2nd and 3 or less, then you have one down where you can take a chance on catching the other team sleeping for a momentum building,or game changing TD.Good first downs,lets you explore many more options.Which begs the question,2nd and three, do you play it safe and run for the first,and keep the drive alive, or do you gamble with one down ,to get a big play or TD,and possibly not even get a first down? I'd say both.....about 50/50.

This is like saying you need to score more than the other guy to win the game. Of course these are the goals; this discussion has been about how you get there and whether we have the offense and personn
      el to do it. It remains an open question.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        I don't want to open a can of worms, but...

The offense we ran last year wasn't the problem. It was the execution that was lacking.

The offense works, just look at the past numbers. If the personal is in place, the offense works. Last year's offense was too young and inexperienced to provide consistent results.

Last years stats were good enough to win games, it was just the missed blocks, the fumbles, the dropped passes (too many to count) & errant throws (way too many to count) that cost us games. Our passing game consisted of a barely experienced QB, no experience WR's & a Freshman O-LINE. That's like sending out the JV vs the other team's varsity.

Look at the other offenses in the conference, they are nothing special unless you have the right players and upperclassmen to execute them.
        The reason that this team was successful the past couple years had more to do with a dominating defense. Two years ago, when the Jacks made the playoffs, we had the same "inexperienced QB."

The offense that we had last two years didn't work. No defense last season made that glaringly obvious. A team that wants to compete at a level we do cannot run dives all day long and not have a viable passing game.

I applaud all the things that Kyle gave us during his career at SDSU, but having a back that has actual break-away speed with be great. I just hope that the men coaching the offense realize that the rules of football allow for running plays outside the tackles.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          The reason that this team was successful the past couple years had more to do with a dominating defense. Two years ago, when the Jacks made the playoffs, we had the same "inexperienced QB."

The offense that we had last two years didn't work. No defense last season made that glaringly obvious. A team that wants to compete at a level we do cannot run dives all day long and not have a viable passing game.

I applaud all the things that Kyle gave us during his career at SDSU, but having a back that has actual break-away speed with be great. I just hope that the men coaching the offense realize that the rules of football allow for running plays outside the tackles.
          Hear! Hear!

Comment

Working...
          X