2012 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Sucks to lose an in-state kid to UNI but on the other hand we did land an OL recruit in Shoff over offers he had from Kansas and other schools.

I'm guessing we'll find out in 2 or 3 years how big of a mistake, if any, this is.

Comment

I think it's a bit early to be second guessing our coaching staff on this one. Different coaching staffs look for different skill sets for positions based on the style of offense ( or defense ) they run. I don't want our coaching staff tied to kids just because they are from South Dakota. The fact that they don't offer a kid probably means the coaches saw better fits for their system somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        If our peers think they are good enough we probably should too. that really bugs me because if state wants to develop a consistant top program, they are going to need a lot of the best from SD to do it and when they want to go to SDSU that should have been a lock to get him.
        We very may very well have been set at O-line with this years recruiting class and need the scholarships elsewhere. Who knows, maybe the coaches thought he was 4th behind Lansman, Carr and, Schoff and they only had 3 O-line spots to fill in this recruiting class. Just because he didn't get an offer doesn't mean the coaches thought he couldn't hack it. It's quite possible they just didn't have an available scholarship to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I think it's a bit early to be second guessing our coaching staff on this one. Different coaching staffs look for different skill sets for positions based on the style of offense ( or defense ) they run. I don't want our coaching staff tied to kids just because they are from South Dakota. The fact that they don't offer a kid probably means the coaches saw better fits for their system somewhere else.
          I wasn't trying to pass any judgement either way. She was one of my nurses in the ICU before she took a job with better hours. Great family and a kid that wanted to be at SDSU. I suspect we had other priorities at the time and at his position. I didn't probe too deeply but wonder if he was offered a walk-on. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't convinced, based on the limited looks I had, that Ty was a DI prospect. What do I know? UNI has a very successful FCS program and they wanted him. I didn't say it was a mistake just wondering out loud if SDSU might regret letting a SD kid end up at UNI.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            We very may very well have been set at O-line with this years recruiting class and need the scholarships elsewhere. Who knows, maybe the coaches thought he was 4th behind Lansman, Carr and, Schoff and they only had 3 O-line spots to fill in this recruiting class. Just because he didn't get an offer doesn't mean the coaches thought he couldn't hack it. It's quite possible they just didn't have an available scholarship to offer.
            I just hope I dont hear people complain about how we lost an in state kid we were recruiting when they go elsewhere. I think it boils down to culture, SDSU needs to develop a culture where kids grow up wanting to go to SDSU no matter what their options are. Until we get there we are probably going to lose a fair amount of talent that probably was deserving to stay. Maybe we didnt need him from what the coaches see, but from what a program sees a kid who went D-1 wanted to go to SDSU and didnt even get an offer. I think SDSU needs to go for those kids and take a risk on the scholly to develop that culture that in the long run will pay off in huge dividends.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I just hope I dont hear people complain about how we lost an in state kid we were recruiting when they go elsewhere. I think it boils down to culture, SDSU needs to develop a culture where kids grow up wanting to go to SDSU no matter what their options are. Until we get there we are probably going to lose a fair amount of talent that probably was deserving to stay. Maybe we didnt need him from what the coaches see, but from what a program sees a kid who went D-1 wanted to go to SDSU and didnt even get an offer. I think SDSU needs to go for those kids and take a risk on the scholly to develop that culture that in the long run will pay off in huge dividends.
              I think the Jacks do pretty well in this regard. There are 28 S.D. natives on the Jacks roster,compared to 19 at USD. The national champion Bison have 18 N.D. players on their roster. I don't think anyone will argue that South and North Dakota are meccas of high school football talent. No doubt there are loads of pretty good S.D. high school players that would love to be Jacks . Are some of them going to slip through the cracks and go on to play for other schools ? No doubt,but the Jacks have struck a good balance with their roster.

Comment

Doc, did USD offer?
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Appears to be similar to the situation with the Mahoney kid out of OGorman that excelled as a linebacker at UNI. He has relatives, some SDSU grads, that are still unhappy about that. Then again, SDSU beat UNI at Coughlin when the young man was a Senior.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I don't know any of these kids, but I do know kids who have been recruited, and its amazing how some of these recruiting stories get distorted from the truth. Not saying its this guys case.
                    Many times thought it seems like its either, they really wanted me, and I didn't want to go there, or they didn't want me at all and I'm going to prove them wrong.

When I was at Black Hills State, it seemed every football player there was the next guy to get an offer from a BCS program, or I was going to go and the grades weren't there.

I think sometimes recruits can take it the wrong way when a coach says they aren't interested. I've known of NAIA recruits who have talked to SDSU coaches, and they said hey, you will get much more accomplished at the NAIA level then here.

It was odd though the low number of preferred walk-ons announced this year. What was there 1 or 2? Was that because Meadows was on his way out? I do know the talent in SD was low this year, but still it seemed lower then normal.

Not knocking this guy, the little I've heard he's a good kid, good family, just in general was what I was getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Doc, did USD offer?
                      I didn't ask that question and I haven't heard that they did. I don't know how many offers he had just that they were disappointed that SDSU wasn't one of them.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Heard at a track meet that Tyler Thielges from LaMoure, ND is attending SDSU as a preferred walk-on QB. Some other people on here probably know more. Really good basketball and baseball player too.

Comment

Some future SDSU kids having success. Scroll down to the "Class D Shotput" story.

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-s...05212c6b0.html

Comment

I talked to Shoff's dad, Chris, a couple of times over the weekend. He was very pleased with how the meet went and he proudly wore his Jackrabbit apparrel on both days of the meet. Unfortunatley, I saw as many wearing NDSU gear as I did Jackrabbit. My son and I did our best to represent the blue and yellow. Chris is excited to have Mike be part of Jackrabbit nation, but he is not looking forward to the long drives to Brookings from Cambridge. Cambridge is in the southwest corner of Nebraska and roughly an 8 hour drive to Brookings.

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                            Some future SDSU kids having success. Scroll down to the "Class D Shotput" story.

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-s...05212c6b0.html

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              I talked to Shoff's dad, Chris, a couple of times over the weekend. He was very pleased with how the meet went and he proudly wore his Jackrabbit apparrel on both days of the meet. Unfortunatley, I saw as many wearing NDSU gear as I did Jackrabbit. My son and I did our best to represent the blue and yellow. Chris is excited to have Mike be part of Jackrabbit nation, but he is not looking forward to the long drives to Brookings from Cambridge. Cambridge is in the southwest corner of Nebraska and roughly an 8 hour drive to Brookings.
                              Yes Cambridge is a long ways from Brookings. I know it as a couple of times in my career I found myself working at the power district and or the rural telephone company in Cambridge on game day for BB in Brookings. It was a four hour drive from Columbus to Brookings, but another 4 from Columbus to Cambridge. I was fortunate in having flexible hours and the whole weekend to do the return travel. The 8 hour estimate is spot on.

Comment

Tom Peitz from Crofton, the 3rd from his family to play for the Jackrabbits, also did very well. Note that his name is spelled wrong in the article associated with the first link, same author for both. Peitz and Pietz are often confused, even within 1 day for some.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2012...b057142616.txt

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2012...2174381110.txt

Comment

Working...
                                X