Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New threads

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    When we get a new stadium, it will have field turf. That has been reported in the media by Sell a few times when discussing plans for the new stadium.
    Nothing like having a huge agriculture dempartment in the school and you have a fake football field. Thats ironic, no wait, its tragic.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      What makes it "better", its just your opinion, I feel playing on real grass is a better surface to play on.
      What makes it better? No need to water it and we would be guaranteed a good surface in ****ty weather. We wouldn't have to worry about the field being torn up by BHS.

What also makes it better?

According to this study, when compared to natural grass, field turf leads to:

- 74% fewer muscle tears
      - 42% lower ACL trauma
      - 32% fewer ligament tears
      - 22% fewer severe injuries
      - 19% fewer substantial injuries
      - 12% fewer concussions
      - 10% less injury from shoe surface interaction during contact
      - 8% less injury from shoe surface interaction during non-contact
      - 7% fewer total injuries

Obviously you have no idea what tradition is.
      Yes I do, I just don't hold it in as high of regard as you do. Sorry I'm not all that nostalgic.

I know your high on how awesome fake grass is safer, but I don't hear you making an argument for going back to leather helmets, that would be safer for players too.
      Leather helmets are safer? Says who? The reason that they got rid of leather helmets is because they were unsafe.

Shouldn't you be arguing for that since it's "tradition"?

If playing on real grass is so dangerous to you, they probably shouldn't be playing football in the first place.
      So just because football is dangerous, we shouldn't do anything to make it safer? Like I said earlier, just because grass is important to YOU, doesn't mean it is in the best interest of the players.

I understand you are into fads, but some, including me, feel tradition is important to keep, not just the next new thing.
      I'm not into fads, I'm into common sense.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Nothing like having a huge agriculture dempartment in the school and you have a fake football field. Thats ironic, no wait, its tragic.
        Unless i'm way off base, I'm pretty sure the College of Ag and Bio has nothing to do with the maintenance of the field at Coughlin Alumni - that is done by folks in Athletics. And removing that section of grass isn't going tarnish the reputation of SDSU as a land grant school.

There are many good arguments for keeping a real grass playing field, but the one you made above isn't one of them.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          Unless i'm way off base, I'm pretty sure the College of Ag and Bio has nothing to do with the maintenance of the field at Coughlin Alumni - that is done by folks in Athletics. And removing that section of grass isn't going tarnish the reputation of SDSU as a land grant school.

There are many good arguments for keeping a real grass playing field, but the one you made above isn't one of them.

Maybe not to you, but a school that prides it self on its agriculture, and horticulture and such, not having a grass field, seems wrong to me.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            I only briefly reviewed the publication regarding this study. It appears that it was not designed to determine if one surface was better than the other and in the conclusion it states nothing supporting that argument. In addition, multiple authors declared conflicts of interest and it is in no way blinded or randomized (as prospective studies should be). So, I don't think the link supports your argument in anyway. In fact, I think it might harm it. Carry on.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What makes it better? No need to water it and we would be guaranteed a good surface in ****ty weather. We wouldn't have to worry about the field being torn up by BHS.

What also makes it better?

- 74% fewer muscle tears
              - 42% lower ACL trauma
              - 32% fewer ligament tears
              - 22% fewer severe injuries
              - 19% fewer substantial injuries
              - 12% fewer concussions
              - 10% less injury from shoe surface interaction during contact
              - 8% less injury from shoe surface interaction during non-contact
              - 7% fewer total injuries

Yes I do, I just don't hold it in as high of regard as you do. Sorry I'm not all that nostalgic.

Leather helmets are safer? Says who? The reason that they got rid of leather helmets is because they were unsafe.

Shouldn't you be arguing for that since it's "tradition"?

So just because football is dangerous, we shouldn't do anything to make it safer? Like I said earlier, just because grass is important to YOU, doesn't mean it is in the best interest of the players.

I'm not into fads, I'm into common sense.
              For all the reasons, I am surprised you don't want to build a dome, completely take weather out of the picture.

Helmets cause players to lead with their head, causing injuries to both them and the person they hit, I am sure if you look you will find studies that show how dangerous and how many injuries result from it. If helmets where not a concern, why is the NFL putting in new rules to protect players from defenders who lead with the helmet, you put those defenders in a leather helmet they are going to change how they tackle.

If fake grass is so safe? how did Minett get hurt on it? hmm, maybe because its a risk playing a contact sport no matter what surface.

You want fake grass because its safer, then you would want leather helmets because its safer, its all for player safety I guess.

So when you own a house, will you be putting in field turf for all the obivous benefits?

Comment

Maybe not to you, but a school that prides it self on its agriculture, and horticulture and such, not having a grass field, seems wrong to me.

If you think the pride of the SDSU College of Ag and Bio, the Horticulture department, or any of their research areas relates in anyway to whether or not the football field needs to be mowed, it might be time to take a closer look at some of the more meaningful things they are focusing on.

Comment

If fake grass is so safe? how did Minett get hurt on it? hmm, maybe because its a risk playing a contact sport no matter what surface.
                  There is just a teeny bit of difference between good field turf and the rug they have in the Fargodome...

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I only briefly reviewed the publication regarding this study. It appears that it was not designed to determine if one surface was better than the other and in the conclusion it states nothing supporting that argument. In addition, multiple authors declared conflicts of interest and it is in no way blinded or randomized (as prospective studies should be). So, I don't think the link supports your argument in anyway. In fact, I think it might harm it. Carry on.
                    The more I'm researching it, the more I'm finding conflicting information. Most studies that I have read say something along the lines of more time being needed for anything conclusive to be proven.

Comment

You want fake grass because its safer, then you would want leather helmets because its safer, its all for player safety I guess.
                      Leather helmets are not safer.

Comment

Leather helmets are not safer.
                        Not a betting man, but I bet if the nfl went to leather helmets for one year, they would not see the same injuries that are currently seen now because of the current helmets.

your best argument for field turf is really up in the air about safety, it may or may not. Your best argument would maybe be long term cost and maintance costs.

Maybe I am too much like John Madden that I like seeing players come up dirty on the field or a tuff of grass in the helmet.

Opposite of Madden, I am not in love with Farve like he is.

Comment

If you think the pride of the SDSU College of Ag and Bio, the Horticulture department, or any of their research areas relates in anyway to whether or not the football field needs to be mowed, it might be time to take a closer look at some of the more meaningful things they are focusing on.
                          Never said its a main focus for them, its just Ironic a school will boast those kinds of porgrams and has fake grass on campus. Simple as that.

Comment

Not a betting man, but I bet if the nfl went to leather helmets for one year, they would not see the same injuries that are currently seen now because of the current helmets.
                            You're backing your statement up with baseless conjecture. And poor conjecture at that. My idea of figuring out which is safer has to do with what will protect that athlete better in a head on collision. You think that leather helmets are safer because players wouldn't try to hit as hard? That is like teaching abstinence as a form of birth control. You'll have as much luck convincing teenagers not to have sex as you will as trying to convince NFL players with millions of dollars on the line not to hit hard.

As for the uniforms, they will be new next year.

And as for the field turf, looks like the new stadium will have it whenever it gets built. So...ha

Comment

There is just a teeny bit of difference between good field turf and the rug they have in the Fargodome...
                              So if it was a real grass stadium maybe he wouldnt have been hurt, or maybe would have been hurt either way. The point is claiming player saftey is paramount for getting fake turf. The best way to protect players would be with rule changes. Which that is not going to happen. My point is its a risk to play sports either way, and if a player is worried about getting hurt because its a grass field, well maybe football is not the sport for them.

Comment

You're backing your statement up with baseless conjecture. And poor conjecture at that. My idea of figuring out which is safer has to do with what will protect that athlete better in a head on collision. You think that leather helmets are safer because players wouldn't try to hit as hard? That is like teaching abstinence as a form of birth control. You'll have as much luck convincing teenagers not to have sex as you will as trying to convince NFL players with millions of dollars on the line not to hit hard.

As for the uniforms, they will be new next year.

And as for the field turf, looks like the new stadium will have it whenever it gets built. So...ha
                                Correction, the best way to project players is through rule changes so if you are concerned about safety, you should be a champion for rule changes, but I am going to guess you would not support that. Rugby players do not have the pads or helmets that football uses, what are there percentages of injuries and such that your concerned about.

You made my point, people are not concerned with safety because money is more important to them.

unfortuantly its going to happen one way or another, its a loss of tradition that your probably happy to see go, I however will miss that.

Uniforms change, they did when I was in college, and they were different then before and they will again, but my point still stand, taking pride in tradition should be important to a colleges identity.

Comment

Working...
                                X