Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    Free bloody mary bar at Skinners Saturday morning for students and then buses bringing them to the game straight from the bar. Heck I might find my old student ID if they started this.
    I am for this.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'd like an explanation why the students do not go to the game.

What else do they have to do in Brookings besides sleep off the night before? Back in the day, at my former U, we'd be up in the morning at 8 for an 11 o'clock game pouring beer on our cornflakes. Cheap, off flavor beer, but beer... we were students after all.

Saturday's game was at one oclock. They could have started at 10 or 11 and been primed by one.

The U of MN Gophers have a serious problem with the students not attending, but with that program, you can understand why.

Comment

A lot of students go home. Also, it's hard to believe, but a lot of students still don't know when the games are taking place. Seriously.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          A lot of students go home. Also, it's hard to believe, but a lot of students still don't know when the games are taking place. Seriously.
          Do you think more signage around campus, hype up the game day atmosphere? I recall back in my day, which was like 5 years ago, a lot never knew when basketball games where. People would be like where you going goon? and its like Duh, basketball game. They are like oh I didnt hear about it. always felt like there should be more energy around campus getting people pumped for game days, but really I dont think there is anything.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            B-b-b-but they pay to be able to attend each and every home game.

The poop is really going to hit the fan the first time USD comes to Brookings for basketball and the AD caps student attendance.

In all seriousness, the students that did show up did a very nice job. Perhaps the student section should be the first 3 rows all around the stadium. It might get people on their feet for a third down in the late 3rd quarter.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Do you think more signage around campus, hype up the game day atmosphere? I recall back in my day, which was like 5 years ago, a lot never knew when basketball games where. People would be like where you going goon? and its like Duh, basketball game. They are like oh I didnt hear about it. always felt like there should be more energy around campus getting people pumped for game days, but really I dont think there is anything.
              We have a class of students working on a promotional campaign to encourage other students to attend. The Nov. 20 game is going to be billed as fan appreciation day, and there will be a "golden ticket" promotion, dorm storming, social media elements, etc.

The good news is that weekend is not a big "go home" weekend since students will be leaving the following weekend for Thanksgiving. The trick is to get them to the game. The MCOM 492/592 students will do what they can.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

What else do they have to do in Brookings besides sleep off the night before? Back in the day, at my former U, we'd be up in the morning at 8 for an 11 o'clock game pouring beer on our cornflakes. Cheap, off flavor beer, but beer... we were students after all.

Saturday's game was at one oclock. They could have started at 10 or 11 and been primed by one.

The U of MN Gophers have a serious problem with the students not attending, but with that program, you can understand why.
                Wisconsin is also notorious for having empty student section seats when the game starts. However, that is usually for the Big Ten's 11 AM start times.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

I honestly have no idea. They are really missing out on part of the college experience. My group went and tailgated, had a great time, ate some breakfast burritos, and then went to the game and cheared our throats out. It was really sad to see that no more students showed up. I do think some of the casual fans have heard that we are out of the playoff picture and this in turn means the team stinks. (NOT MY OPINION)
                  For once I'm not trying to defend the other students because I think it is pathetic to not take advantage of the events that ALL students already pay for.
                  As much as I hate to see students lose the grandstand seating I can understand why the student section will be moved if push comes to shove.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    I honestly have no idea. They are really missing out on part of the college experience. My group went and tailgated, had a great time, ate some breakfast burritos, and then went to the game and cheared our throats out. It was really sad to see that no more students showed up. I do think some of the casual fans have heard that we are out of the playoff picture and this in turn means the team stinks. (NOT MY OPINION)
                    For once I'm not trying to defend the other students because I think it is pathetic to not take advantage of the events that ALL students already pay for.
                    As much as I hate to see students lose the grandstand seating I can understand why the student section will be moved if push comes to shove.
                    Students need to be put on the other side- it was terrible seeing how many no shows there were the other day..

Comment

Students are notorious for being more of a bandwagon type fan. And, contrary to many of us on this board, SDSU football just isn't a priority to many.

I never missed a home game when I was at SDSU and have only missed a handful in the 10 years since I got out. I think that there are plent of opportunities for students to find out about game times. How much can we hold their hands?

When the students are moved to the endzones, or wherever, in the the new stadium there better not be any complaining. Same goes for basketball events. If we have to turn students away from every game, then maybe they will have a legitimate complaint. I really don't see that happening in the near future.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        Students are notorious for being more of a bandwagon type fan. And, contrary to many of us on this board, SDSU football just isn't a priority to many.

I never missed a home game when I was at SDSU and have only missed a handful in the 10 years since I got out. I think that there are plent of opportunities for students to find out about game times. How much can we hold their hands?

When the students are moved to the endzones, or wherever, in the the new stadium there better not be any complaining. Same goes for basketball events. If we have to turn students away from every game, then maybe they will have a legitimate complaint. I really don't see that happening in the near future.
                        Suitcase college pack and go home on the weekends

Comment

I think all 4 of the Dakota schools were down in attendance and from what I saw on television a couple of them were WAAAAYdown. USD reported around 7300 and UND didn't have their website stats updated for this game. From what I could see on TV, there was probably 100 students at the USD game, especially in the 2nd half and the UND game looked like there was maybe 3000 people there total when the camera's would show the fans. NDSU reported 12,834, but I'm sure it was more like 8K.

I have no doubt that our 7600 was "butts in seats"...as for the other three I'm not going to speak to their method, but we do know that NDSU has admitted to counting tickets and USD...well...I think they just like to keep people guessing. And I have no idea how UND counts...maybe they throw in Hockey numbers if the games are played the same day...who knows.

I've got to believe that if Saturday's game against MSU was to keep us in the playoff hunt, we would've cracked 10K, if not more. But we're not and did not. I think it's always going to take a big game/playoff hunt for the students to show up for nov. games. But like a few of us have said...when you get moved to the east side, no complaining, same with Frost.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
                            Wisconsin is also notorious for having empty student section seats when the game starts. However, that is usually for the Big Ten's 11 AM start times.
                            This quote is pure BS and a sad attempt to try and justify why the Gopher students don't show up. Sections N, O, and P at Camp Randall are always full, 11 AM or not. I should know, I was there. You cannot compare this to TCF stadium with thousands of empty seats. Jackrabbit students attend better than U of MN students.

My daughter attends the U of MN. She chooses to go to SDSU games instead. Her comment is the Pride is 10X the band than the Gopher band.

Comment

How about the deflated football in the Missouri State game? We made an extra-point kick attempt and the kick was blocked. Priddy, the placeholder, got the ball and held it up: it had popped! The ref took a look at the deflated ball and tossed it to the sideline for a replacement.

We had a do-over on the kick due to a MSU penalty and the kick was good.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                How about the deflated football in the Missouri State game? We made an extra-point kick attempt and the kick was blocked. Priddy, the placeholder, got the ball and held it up: it had popped! The ref took a look at the deflated ball and tossed it to the sideline for a replacement.

We had a do-over on the kick due to a MSU penalty and the kick was good.

I was wondering what Priddy and Stig were laughing about. I thought Priddy was telling Stig that if there wasn't a penalty, he could've ran it in for two.
                                That's amazing!

Go Jacks...Beat the Bison!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X