Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU on Groupon

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    We are going to have to pack the stadium for every home game to prove that a new stadium is practical.

I feel sorry for the folks that don't go to the late season games, those tend to be some of the more entertaining ones.
    A new stadium is necessary, how big it is, well...that's the practical part. I've said I'd be happy with 18000-20000, but it's not truly building for the future and growth. In 1965, I'm sure there were plenty who said "No way this stadium ever get's filled".
    How embarrassing for us if they show up one day and condemn the thing!!!! To me that would point right at the BoR for their overall failure to act on this for the past decade and of course their most recent excuse. IMO
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I understand all sides in this one. Here's what you have to watch: If tickets to the last game or two each year go on sale for five or 10 bucks...does that impact season ticket sales? If so...then the strategy backfires. If a season-ticket holder says, "Hey, I can get tickets a lot cheaper if I just get them by the game," not only is the extra ticket revenue gone, so is the $50 or $100 per ticket paid before you can buy season tickets. So, it's not wrong to say the policy is a bit unfair. But, on the other hand, most season-ticket holders either: 1) Are OK with the extra expense because the money supports SDSU athletics, or 2) Want their specific reserved seats. But there certainly are two sides to the argument. So far, these deals clearly aren't impacting season ticket sales. There new, though. If it becomes an annual thing, it's something to keep your eyes on.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        A new stadium is necessary, how big it is, well...that's the practical part. I've said I'd be happy with 18000-20000, but it's not truly building for the future and growth. In 1965, I'm sure there were plenty who said "No way this stadium ever get's filled".
        How embarrassing for us if they show up one day and condemn the thing!!!! To me that would point right at the BoR for their overall failure to act on this for the past decade and of course their most recent excuse. IMO
        One thing is for certain, a condemned CAS would ensure a new stadium gets built...

Let's find the toughest building inspector in the state and bring him to town...
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          One thing is for certain, a condemned CAS would ensure a new stadium gets built...

Let's find the toughest building inspector in the state and bring him to town...
          Or it means the team will be moved to Fishback park.

When Solberg was condemned it sat empty for what? three years? before the College of Engineering did something about it?

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            I understand all sides in this one. Here's what you have to watch: If tickets to the last game or two each year go on sale for five or 10 bucks...does that impact season ticket sales? If so...then the strategy backfires. If a season-ticket holder says, "Hey, I can get tickets a lot cheaper if I just get them by the game," not only is the extra ticket revenue gone, so is the $50 or $100 per ticket paid before you can buy season tickets. So, it's not wrong to say the policy is a bit unfair. But, on the other hand, most season-ticket holders either: 1) Are OK with the extra expense because the money supports SDSU athletics, or 2) Want their specific reserved seats. But there certainly are two sides to the argument. So far, these deals clearly aren't impacting season ticket sales. There new, though. If it becomes an annual thing, it's something to keep your eyes on.
            I can't see cheaper tickets for the last two home games affecting the overall season ticket sales. After all, the added expense of a season ticket is well worth the money when you don't have to worry about where you will be sitting at the Beef Bowl or the Hobo Day game.

My bigger concern is the people that already have season tickets that choose to not attend the last couple games of the year. That is a more alarming issue for our fan base.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I can't see cheaper tickets for the last two home games affecting the overall season ticket sales. After all, the added expense of a season ticket is well worth the money when you don't have to worry about where you will be sitting at the Beef Bowl or the Hobo Day game.

My bigger concern is the people that already have season tickets that choose to not attend the last couple games of the year. That is a more alarming issue for our fan base.
              Agree. I use to get tickets to every game for free. Didn't really matter where the seats were when it was just my wife and I. Now, I've got a family of 5 and I enjoy the luxury of knowing my 6 reserved chairback seats will always be available. Heck, my kids are all junior jacks so they don't even need a ticket but they do need a seat. I don't think of season tickets as being comparable to single game tickets. They come with perks like parking passes, tailgate preference, priority points, etc....

Promotions like the groupon one are meant to recruit "new" fans. Not season ticket holder types.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

if some fans are calling for 18k-20k stadium and the team is averaging less than 13k for the games. it ain't gonna happen fellas. nothing worse than lots of empty seats. there is no return on investment and if you can't fill it up you're not making money. like it or not, money is the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                  if some fans are calling for 18k-20k stadium and the team is averaging less than 13k for the games. it ain't gonna happen fellas. nothing worse than lots of empty seats. there is no return on investment and if you can't fill it up you're not making money. like it or not, money is the bottom line.
                  The beef bowl and hobo days, they can bring 15K to 16K a year. Possible a few years way from adding a few thousand to thatup to 18K with in say 10 years. If this is a 50 years stadium atleast, future growth needs to be considered. How many stay away because over 15K and this stadium is packed. If there is more room, that allows for more people who other wise stay away from an already packed house.

I bet if we had seating for 18K, the first game we play USD at home would be sold out IMO.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There is something worse, people not coming because they can't get a seat. There is a fine line however, you want a certain amount of demand to keep prices at a premium. I'd say trust the guys doing the research when it comes to seating capacity and amenities.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Except for the fact that we don't have enough room for the people that come to some Hobo Day games and the amount that are deterred from not having a seat they can see from. We need that seating empty seats or not we will grow into it, especially with people who come out just to see the new stadium. That in itself can add more fans.
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

When State played at Oakland Univ the last two years they were offering discounted tickets for the mens game and the womens games were free. Why, to try and get butts in the seats because it was during and the end of spring break or winter break, they get so many breaks at schools in Michigan its hard to remember which break it was. thanksgiving break, christmas break, winter break, spring break, is break spelled right or should I take a break,

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          The beef bowl and hobo days, they can bring 15K to 16K a year. Possible a few years way from adding a few thousand to thatup to 18K with in say 10 years. If this is a 50 years stadium atleast, future growth needs to be considered. How many stay away because over 15K and this stadium is packed. If there is more room, that allows for more people who other wise stay away from an already packed house.

I bet if we had seating for 18K, the first game we play USD at home would be sold out IMO.
                          of course it would be a sell out. new and improved is always a draw. you have to look past 1 game tho.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            There is something worse, people not coming because they can't get a seat. There is a fine line however, you want a certain amount of demand to keep prices at a premium. I'd say trust the guys doing the research when it comes to seating capacity and amenities.
                            what are "the guys doing the research" saying? does anybody know? i'm not trying to be a nay sayer here, i just think a lot of questions need to be answered before taxpayer money get's spent on an addition that might not be justified. what is the number of season ticket holders? has it been consistent over the years? has it been growing? i think that is the number that needs to be focused on. like i said, "nothing looks worse than empty seats." i saw highlights from last weekends game in illinois and the place was empty..... embarrassing.

Comment

Here goes my rant of the day. Not directed at you KI, just this particular line of thinking.

The current stadium has about 10,000 seats.

Here are the average attendance numbers for the last 4.5 seasons:
                              2010 - 11,889 (Its safe to say 3 of 5 home games will have over 12K, 11K, and 12K)
                              2009 - 13,265 (5 of 5 games had over 12K, 13K, 14K, 15K, and 10K)
                              2008 - 9906 (3 of 6 home games had over 11K, 14K, and 15K)
                              2007 - 11218 (4 of 6 home games had over 10K, 14K, 15K, and 16K)
                              2006 - 9652 (2 of 4 home games had over 12K and 15K)

We don't have enough seating for 65% of our home games. Over the last two seasons, we don't have enough seats for 80% of our home games. 4 out of 5 home games are technically a sold out right now.

In other words, at least 17,000 people have attended SDSU football games in the last 5 years knowing they might not get a seat. Do you suppose another 17,000 stayed home because they knew they might not get a seat?

Would it be out of line to suggest that we need a 14,000 seat stadium as of today (30% of games for the last 5 years would still be sellouts)? How many seats will we need in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years?

IMO here's what will happen:

The stadium that gets built will seat about 8500 on each side (17,000 total capacity).

For the time being (5-15 years), the temporary aluminum bleachers under the scoreboard will stay in place. This will create a stadium with seating capacity of around 20,000, enough for big games like NDSU, UNI, USD, Hobo Day, and Beef Bowl.

Once we consistently average around 17,000 a game (only 4000 more than last year, 5000 more than this year so far) the permanent structure can be built for general admission endzone seating for a total permanent seating capacity of around 22,000.

I know that's not the proposal, but I'd bet that's what will happen once things get whittled down.

BTW, I wouldn't be shocked if we sold over 5000 season tickets the first season in the new stadium. That alone would probably be a good return on investment (each season ticket holder makes at least a $100 donation).
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

what are "the guys doing the research" saying? does anybody know? i'm not trying to be a nay sayer here, i just think a lot of questions need to be answered before taxpayer money get's spent on an addition that might not be justified. what is the number of season ticket holders? has it been consistent over the years? has it been growing? i think that is the number that needs to be focused on. like i said, "nothing looks worse than empty seats." i saw highlights from last weekends game in illinois and the place was empty..... embarrassing.
                                Explain how taxpayer money will be spent on the new stadium?

Season ticket holders are growing, I don't know the number, but there has been consistent growth for the last 3-5 years.

Attendance for the SIU game was 11,136. Their stadium seats around 12,000. A ton of people left after the game was out of reach.

Comment

Working...
                                X