SDSU on Groupon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU on Groupon

This promotion allows me to bring my family with me. State gets $5 per ticket, some concessions, and most importantly helps to build some allegiance with another generation. Seriously, I took my oldest daughter to a game last year and she is dead set that she will attend SDSU. I've been encouraging it all along anyway , but having some experiences at a young age sold her and will sell more in the future. I don't mind paying full price for myself and my wife, but if we can save some cash and have a family night/day with the Jacks...it's a great thing.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I totally think promotions are a good idea, SDSU knows its main ticket holders will be there, but why not try to spice up the later season games. Frankly I say move Hobo days back, 1st weekend in nov. Try multi promos late in the year. Family fun day, military appreciation day, brookings outreach many could be on the same day if you ask me. I think its sad many fans forget to show up after Hobo Days, that is the culture we need to start changing. Start with families and kids, make them see the fun in SDSU, like RTB said, create positive experiences and its will be self rewarding for SDSU.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I wonder if this is a reflection of our new AD and the direction he wants to take things. Doesn't UNI run all sorts of ticket promotions for football?

Since its for the MSU and UND games, I don't really have a big problem with it, people haven't come out for post hobo day games in the past.

The choices are to do nothing and hope attendance changes, or try something to mix things up and hope to increase attendance for late season home games.

Personally, I'm all for trying something new in this regard. As long as it doesn't become habit forming.

FWIW, SDSU fans love to talk about the success of the Beef Bowl and the attendance numbers. There are a ton of people at that game that don't actually buy a ticket themselves, but get it from an organization, bank, or other business (who I would assume pay a discounted price). What's the difference?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I don't mind this. I'm a season ticket holer and know I can probably get cheaper or even free tickets for just about every game each year....I know the economy is tight. I cannot donate as much as I'd like to the school, so I look at this as part of my donation towards the football program which I am happy to support. But that is my perspective, I know.
          I do think it's tough to get people to got to games after hobo day, I really don't know if $5 tix are going to change that. Anything is worth a try once.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            What does the athletic department do?
            Assume that they're getting a net gain in fans and potential donors, even if a few sourpusses get their panties in a twist over it.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Devil's advocate...because I've been on the receiving end of this argument.

Hypothetical situation, but you'll see my point.

I went to the Cereal Bowl, had a great time and decided to buy four GA tickets the next week for the Missouri State game because I'll be back in town. So I drop $50 (rounding for ease) on those tickets that have a no refund policy. Now, those same tickets would cost me $20. Economy is tight, and I'm pissed because I cannot get the same price as someone who waited to buy tickets. I'm also pissed enough that the nice donation I was going to make is on hold because of this promotion and my in ability to get the same deal. What does the athletic department do?

I would hope any individual in that situation would chalk it up as money well spent for a cause they believe in and support already. I would also hope such an individual would see that $20, even in the tight economy, is not much in the grand scheme of things and would likely be equal to the amount a regular family would drop at McDonald's for 2 value meals and 2 happy meals.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Got my tickets to the UND game.

Comment

How Groupon works:

It goes out currently to 30,000 households

They run a deal for a 24 hour period.

Can set a limit on how many they are allowed to sell

Groupon takes 50% of the profit!

SDSU is making 2.50 for each one sold

Currently with 2 hours to go, they have sold 170

Problem with it is most of the people that purchased already attend alot of SDSU games.

Pros: More concessions sold to people attending.

Comment

other pro: great visibility!

Comment

I think groupon is a great marketing ploy, however like others have stated it does seem a little unfair. I've heard of groups using groupon but generally it is last minute type of things, not with weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I think groupon is a great marketing ploy, however like others have stated it does seem a little unfair. I've heard of groups using groupon but generally it is last minute type of things, not with weeks away.
                        I am planning with this deal to bring the youth football team from SF to the UND game. kids love the cold!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I don't see how it is unfair. There are always people at games that pay less than others. Some don't even pay for tickets at all.

Using the "I had to pay more, woe is me" logic, shouldn't people be upset at all the people that use a tailgating spot that aren't the paying users? Aren't they getting something cheaper than others?

If a person gets upset that their tickets cost $30 dollars more, then they really don't see the big picture of what the athletic department is doing.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            I don't see how it is unfair. There are always people at games that pay less than others. Some don't even pay for tickets at all.

Using the "I had to pay more, woe is me" logic, shouldn't people be upset at all the people that use a tailgating spot that aren't the paying users? Aren't they getting something cheaper than others?

If a person gets upset that their tickets cost $30 dollars more, then they really don't see the big picture of what the athletic department is doing.
                            Kinda like airline tickets... you're always going to have people who pay more for their seat than others. It all relies on how savvy a shopper you are.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I know it may seem unfair to some who have already bought tickets at the higher prices....but overall I think it is a good idea.

If we truly want the Board of Regents to buy into the fact that we need a 22,000 seat stadium then we have to prove that we can put more than 10,000 in the seats after Hobo Day. If that is by artificially stimulating attendance......than so be it.

It will be pretty hard to get them to sign off on a $50 Million stadium if we are currently showing we would have it at half capacity for a handful of games. Just my perspective on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                                I know it may seem unfair to some who have already bought tickets at the higher prices....but overall I think it is a good idea.

If we truly want the Board of Regents to buy into the fact that we need a 22,000 seat stadium then we have to prove that we can put more than 10,000 in the seats after Hobo Day. If that is by artificially stimulating attendance......than so be it.

It will be pretty hard to get them to sign off on a $50 Million stadium if we are currently showing we would have it at half capacity for a handful of games. Just my perspective on the situation.
                                I agree with this 100%. The general attitude of SDSU fans needs to be adjusted once Hobo Day is over. We are going to have to pack the stadium for every home game to prove that a new stadium is practical.

I feel sorry for the folks that don't go to the late season games, those tend to be some of the more entertaining ones.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X