Wiu gdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiu gdt

Good fan turnout for the game (for it being a 3 day weekend for the students). I understand calling the first timeout towards the end of the first half, but after they get a first down, I really didn't like calling a second one. Gave them plenty of time to draw up plays and they easily got down the field and scored. Some shotty tackling again by the Jacks but it still counts as a win. Didn't think the refs would ever call a holding penalty. Just nice to get the 'win monkey' off the players' backs.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Biggest change on offense was we did not run a 5 yard route with 8 yards to go. We threw the ball down the field. We had some drops but TOB played a lot better this week. I still hate the fact that our DB's play 10 yards off the receivers at the line every down and that we seem to not use the slants and sit routes over the middle of the field.

We have a lot to still work on, but the O-line was changing about every series and at one point we had a Senior and all Freshman/redshirts on the field at one time.

Comment

Nice win by the Jacks over a good team. WIU's quarterback is a stud. Very elusive and he throws well to big receivers. TOB looked solid, though, and Minett-Duffy were very good. Too many special teams mistakes by the Jacks though, including two botched PATs and a botched field gold attempt. Hiking and holding for kicks were a major challenge.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Was at the game. It was a lot of fun to watch (pretty tense, too). The refs were the strongest opponent in the first quarter.

Our team showed some of the same stuff it displayed against Nebraska.

The conference remains a tossup.

Go Jacks! Nice victory.

Comment

Random thoughts...

1. WHEW! And thank God. We needed a win.

2. Had we lost, this one would have been completely on the defense. There was one fumble. Aside from that, TOB and the offense did all that we could ask.

3. Many pre-game kinks were worked out today. It went much better.

4. The kicking part of the kicking game is great. The snapping is an abject disaster. Halfway though the season and this is where we're at with that? E'gads! It was turrible.

5. OK, it's not a time to bitch. We won! It was a much more enjoyable drive home and a great day to watch a Jackrabbit victory (though there is no such bad day). The weather was perfect.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              Biggest change on offense was we did not run a 5 yard route with 8 yards to go. We threw the ball down the field. We had some drops but TOB played a lot better this week. I still hate the fact that our DB's play 10 yards off the receivers at the line every down and that we seem to not use the slants and sit routes over the middle of the field.

We have a lot to still work on, but the O-line was changing about every series and at one point we had a Senior and all Freshman/redshirts on the field at one time.
              Coach Stig in his post game interview by WNAX, commented that Coach Erick Eidness has worked with TOB during the week on a number of things. Our valuable addition to the coaching staff is starting to show up. Eric knows his stuff and soon we will not know our qb and TOB got through the game without an INT.

Also we saw changes in the D such as No 54, Zachary Bowers who made some neat plays, and also Winston Wright No 14. Things are getting better.

Comment

Pre-game was better, but still lots of gaps and zero energy in the place when the team (finally) emerged from the Dykhouse Center (I liked the camera in the Dykhouse Center, but then we had the captains standing out on the field by themselves waiting for the rest of the team... weird). The timing is still messed up and the video was different, but not much better... same song. I miss the "welcome to the show" thing... when the State Sensation did their dance thing to that song, it generated more energy in the place than the new video ever will.

Yes, the defense could have played better (tackling was atrocious at times) but Barr is as good a QB as we'll see all year. The guy had more than 400 yards of total offense himself. And they have some very tall wide receivers for him to throw to. His little dance after their last TD was a bit much. It was nice to answer and put him back out there to be sacked late in the game.

Last night I was watching TOB closely and it's just so evident that when he steps into his throws, he's basically right on target every time. And I don't remember WIU pressuring him very much, so kudos to the offensive line. TOB didn't turn it over either, which is great. With Kyle Minett and Tyler Duffy, he doesn't have to win it himself, just has to make plays from time to time.

Speaking of the o-line, they're really starting to come together. WIU has a tough defense (lots of hard hitting) and we moved the ball very well on the ground.

Lots of grumbling in my section about soft coverage by the corners, but I think much of that is on the lack of pressure on the QB. Barr had a lot of time on those deep comeback routes. I don't know how long you can expect those corners to cover.

That last measurement on a play where the WIU guy was clearly short and clearly down in bounds was unbelievable. The ball was spotted 24 inches from the sideline and they couldn't eyeball it and see it was a yard short? I could see that from section F across the field with my lousy eyesight. That debacle ended up being like a time out for WIU instead of forcing them to spike the ball, and it was just some of the weirdest officiating I can remember.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

That last measurement on a play where the WIU guy was clearly short and clearly down in bounds was unbelievable. The ball was spotted 24 inches from the sideline and they couldn't eyeball it and see it was a yard short? I could see that from section F across the field with my lousy eyesight. That debacle ended up being like a time out for WIU instead of forcing them to spike the ball, and it was just some of the weirdest officiating I can remember.
                  That call was unreal. It was the Field Judge in front of the Jacks bench that waived his hands in the air to stop the clock. Why on earth he had anything to do with that call is beyond me. There were plenty of bad calls in the game and I'm sure the WIU fans have plenty they would point to but the refs were a major factor in the game and that is very unfortunate.

BOTTOM LINE- We got a win and the gorilla is off our back! The other great news is that everyone in the conference has a loss so the Jacks are still right in this thing and have a couple of the toughest conference games out of the way. A win next week would be HUGE and then they would kind of control their own destiny.

It feels great to have something positive to talk about on Sunday morning!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't know if I'm hungover or if my head hurts from yelling. What a game. Down to the last play just like last time the Jacks played WIU at the Beef Bowl in '08.

The offensive line last night was simply great. Best unit on the field, IMO. The RB's were getting yards all the time and even down at the goal line when they knew the Jacks were running, the line was just blowing their guys into the endzone. And TOB had lots of time pretty much all night. This unit should be commended on their improvement since game 1.

TOB was better than average and maybe that had to do with the time he had to throw, but he was setting his feet and he actually looked off his first receiver and threw to a secondary receiver more than once. What a concept. Drops again by NFL prospect(?) Cochart and Kool didn't help. The route and the throw on the 2-pt conversion were absolutely perfect and Kool just flat out dropped it.

The special teams is just flat out maddening. They can't get a kick return worth a damn, ever. Stig made WIU re-kick after an off-sides and the Jacks actually got 5 yards less than they had the first kick. The punt return down to the 25 was refreshing. The long snapper flat out sucks. Priddy had 2 snaps skipped to him and the snap on the extra point was brutal too. That nearly cost them the game.

The defense giving up 3 drives of 85 plus yards was simply frustrating. Somebody make a play. Get a turnover. Quit playing 10 yards off the receiver and maybe double cover #88 since they threw to him on about every play it seemed. And he was open. Make a play in the second half, please. The best play of the game on defense was the 4th down hold in the first half. That gave the whole team a good vibe from there on out.

The referees would not have made it out of that stadium unscathed if the Jacks would have lost that game. The first quarter was simply terrible. The ref who called Minett's fumble had a terrible angle for that call, they blatently missed pass interference in front of 8000 Jacks fans on the west side, etc., etc. Then it all starts up again with 30 seconds to go. The "necessary" measurement was completely bogus, the second to last play there was a hold on Fischer that was as bad as they get right in front of the umpire who swallowed his whistle. But desperate teams b*tch about referees, good teams make plays.

I am hereby calling out section F, rows 3 through 12. You know who you are and you know why I'm calling you out. Shape up and become fans. I stand up more and am louder in church. You have great seats and don't deserve them.

Comment

Yeah, as a guy who has done some officiating, I'm not one who generally says too much about it. I'm always trying to try and figure out what a ref saw or didn't on a particular call. I'm more forgiving. But...holy crap...there were some major head-scratchers last night. The offensive pass interference in the first half, a big missed holding and that stopping of the clock...that was unacceptable.

I agree that one reason the coverage was soft was that we sometimes didn't get pressure. Our d-backs were undersized (and slower) that WIU. If we blitzed and didn't get there (and we rarely did), it was trouble time. Jeske's (spelling?) sack was HUGE...so huge.

Pregame was acceptable this time. Not perfect, no. But compared to the home opener, it was much better. Still need to work on some timing things...not sure why it took the team so long to run out when it was clearly go-time, but...I'll give everybody a pass because we won.

Finally, while there wasn't anything flashy about the offense, O'Brien needs to be given some credit today. There have been some brutal moments so far this year, but he made no mistakes yesterday.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

And yes folks get out the cowbells. I was the first one to notice it in my section (yes, I'm patting myself on the back) and it spread around from that. I think the conference needs to answer some questions about what happened last night. Otherwise, we're bringing them back. Piss on the "rules".

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          And yes folks get out the cowbells. I was the first one to notice it in my section (yes, I'm patting myself on the back) and it spread around from that. I think the conference needs to answer some questions about what happened last night. Otherwise, we're bringing them back. Piss on the "rules".
                          Oh I noticed the cowbells!!!!
                          Not going too much into it. I don't think you get too down on the defense about the yardage.I won't do the exact number, because I too am nursing beer induced fuzziness.I think they had been averaging 250 yds a game on the ground, we held them to 150. That Barr is one hell of QB, his throws opposite his bootleg route were simply amazing at some points. I can see why they missed him last year and why I am glad he is a Senior.

Also, I don't get too down on any of Kool's dropped passes. He is a RUNNING BACK! He is just talented! Imagine the offense next year when he drops into the slot from the RB position! That will have defenses scrambling!

I guess I missed the drops by Cochart, just the one where I thought maybe O'Brien threw a little to early on the route.

TOB's play was much better.
                          O-line has officially earned the title "Fatguys". Good for them, they are playing great!
                          WR's are coming along too.
                          The rest of the season will be fun.
                          The future's bright!
                          Ok....looks like I did go into it, a little. But **** it, who's not excited about this win?
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

By the way who was that on defense that was leaping over their offense? It wasn't all that effective...but damn it was pretty cool and impressive!
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

The first time I saw it, it was Bo Helm, and I believe it may have been him each time. Never quite got there, but certainly added to the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                The first time I saw it, it was Bo Helm, and I believe it may have been him each time. Never quite got there, but certainly added to the pressure.
                                D. Kool (#48) did it twice. I don't know if Helm did it or not.

Barr was slippery. Not fast, but elusive. Jeske's sack in the last drive was much needed. Best tackle of the night. Wrapped up and hauled Barr down.

And WIU's #12 was impressive. Reminded me of Jimmy Rogers. Wreckless abandoned and hitting like a truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X