Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU Game

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
    I think you will be surprised with attendance Saturday. It's the Beef Bowl this weekend, which is consistently the 2nd largest attendance draw of the season behind Hobo Day. I would be very surprised if it was anything less than 12k and I expect it to be between 13k-14k. Now on the other hand, hopefully the weather cooporates. Looks like a 30% chance of T-storms Saturday.
    Does anybody show up to the game that wouldn't have otherwise because it is the Beef Bowl? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse or anything, I just wonder if it is an attraction for some.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
      I think you will be surprised with attendance Saturday. It's the Beef Bowl this weekend, which is consistently the 2nd largest attendance draw of the season behind Hobo Day. I would be very surprised if it was anything less than 12k and I expect it to be between 13k-14k. Now on the other hand, hopefully the weather cooporates. Looks like a 30% chance of T-storms Saturday.
      I believe it is a 3 day weekend for the students thus my prediction of a smaller crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        Does anybody show up to the game that wouldn't have otherwise because it is the Beef Bowl? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse or anything, I just wonder if it is an attraction for some.
        With the Pre-game BBQ, and socialization, this is institutionalize school sponsored tail-gating. So yes, it attracts the many cattle-raising farmer/ ranchers in. Likewise as a student, (granted a couple of decades ago), this was THE GAME to have the folks come visit and enjoy. Usually good weather, 3-6 weeks into semester so settled in. and can show off life. So family in, rather than rolling home = more students + more family + more farmer/ranchers = better attendence.

Comment

The WIU fan board.

http://www.leathernecknation.com/Topic8431-15-1.aspx

Good thread answers: Why is WIU 4-1 this year, and 1-10 last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            The coach had cancer, left the team for an interim coach, came back, and then had to leave again. He soon died afterward I believe. To many coaches with their own schemes but now have one head coach and his scheme. Besides Barr coming back they also added a running back from Michigan State ( Michigan State had a bunch of players kicked off the team because of lying about a fight with a black fraternity that the black players don't like.) Plus losing to ISUBlue last year probably woke them up big time.

Addendum Coach Patterson is very much alive, sadly it was a Softball coach who passed. I apologize for the mistake and wish coach well.
            Close, actually it was the very well-liked men's baseball coach, Stan Hyman, who passed away suddenly last September from cancer.
            To give you an idea of the time frame, the official news of his cancer came out in late July: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=7415
            and he died in early September: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=7491

It was rumored that the athletics administration was afraid that they'd end up losing two popular head coaches to cancer in a very short time (Coach Patterson had only recently finished treatment for his cancer), and that somewhat played into their dealings with Coach P (hence the quick "resignation" which led to rumors that he was pushed out, and eventual lawsuit and settlement for wrongful termination).

So, now we have much more stability in the coaching staff, a healthy QB who's not spectacular stat-wise, but scrambles really well and makes great decisions (Matt Barr), and the two new RB's who should be with the program for a few years (one is a sophomore transfer and the other is a freshman).

Anyway, should be a great game. Nearly every team in the MVFC is tough and will put up a fight. I'm pretty sure that most of us in Leatherneck Land realize that SDSU is a much better team than their record shows and this weekend's game should be quite a battle.
            Scott
            Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
            Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              For the record, it's UNI, not NIU. NIU would be Northern Illinois University.
              I know. I just like to irritate Cap'n Cat.

Comment

Like what's the best thing coming out of Iowa? I35.

Why do they have halftime at the Northern Iowa football games? So the cheerleaders can go out to graze.

How about them Northern Iowa cheerleaders...

Sry - just had to get it out. I hate the Wildcats. We will beat them in Brookings next year.

Now Macomb IL is fun. It probably has the cheapest beer in the conference and the old stadium has character. The people there are great too. Plus the school has a lot of past glory. Does anyone know of any cheaper beer than Macomb IL?

Still the Jacks need to win at home.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                  Now Macomb IL is fun. It probably has the cheapest beer in the conference and the old stadium has character. The people there are great too. Plus the school has a lot of past glory. Does anyone know of any cheaper beer than Macomb IL?
                  Yup, although we're hoping to spruce up the old stadium a little in the next few years: http://db.tt/sZdSUbt
                  Still should keep the same feel, just be quite a bit nicer on the home side than the 60 year old concrete stands.
                  Scott
                  Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
                  Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    I believe it is a 3 day weekend for the students thus my prediction of a smaller crowd.
                    I wish I could be at the game, but I have to work

A lot of people I talked to aren't interested cause the team is doing bad, and a lot of people are lame and are heading home for the three game weekend.

Hopefully I just have lame friends and the rest of the students show up.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      Like what's the best thing coming out of Iowa? I35.

Why do they have halftime at the Northern Iowa football games? So the cheerleaders can go out to graze.

How about them Northern Iowa cheerleaders...

Sry - just had to get it out. I hate the Wildcats. We will beat them in Brookings next year.

Still the Jacks need to win at home.
                      Great post, Wildcats, funny. I've never been to Macomb, probably never will be.

As for RO, we already know your friends have at least one lame friend who has to work this weekend. I think the crowd will be decent, the tailgate will be excellent and you might hear more noise than you expect if the Jackrabbits show up and play.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

As for RO, we already know your friends have at least one lame friend who has to work this weekend.
                        Well, it was either this weekend of Hobo Day weekend.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                          Well, it was either this weekend of Hobo Day weekend.
                          I could probably arrange for one of my colleagues to write you note. I think you've made the right decision, we'll have 2 wins by Hobo day and everybody will feel better.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            ... we'll have 2 wins by Hobo day and everybody will feel better.
                            THIS!
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I've been to Macomb twice: once for the Summit League X-Country championships (SDSU's women won!) and once for the Summit League track championships at the stadium.

We had a great meal one evening at an Italian restaurant downtown. The weather was great both weekends we were in Macomb and that hleps give one a good impression. The people were nice...the town is old and historic complete with a town square and some neat shops in the blocks around the town square. We look forward to returning to Macomb in the future.

But, all that aside, I'm predicting the Jackrabbits surprise the Tanned-animal-skin-necks early and go on to win comfortably. The pieces finally come together and we avoid the untimely penalties.

Comment

OK. I have been asking myself all week whether WIU can be as good as they "seem" to be. I think I have convinced myself that while they are good, they're not that different from last year's WIU team.

The difference, of course, is Matt Barr. WIU was without Barr most of last year, and ever since his last visit to Coughlin a couple of years ago, I have thought he is one of the best QBs in the league. The guy can run and throw and he's a gamer.

They're 4-1, which is a great start. But who have the Leathernecks played?

Valpo (W): No-scholarship team SDSU beat about 40-kabillion to 0 during transition.

Purdue (L): The team that lost at home to Toledo. Minnesota vs. Purdue will be a fair fight... that's how bad they are.

Sam Houston State (W): Good win here. Big win. But SHSU has one win, against Gardner-Webb (granted, GW is decent)

Indiana State (W): 'Nuf said.

NDSU (W): Good win in Fargo. Have to give them credit there.

Meanwhile, we've been playing Delaware, Illinois State, Nebraska, and UNI.

What does it all mean? WIU is good, but their 4-1 start is a bit misleading. SDSU is good, but our 0-4 start is very misleading.

If SDSU plays solid run defense (not a given) and runs the ball, we win by 10 or more. If they run the ball and we're forced to throw it around, it could be ugly.

WIU: 17
                                SDSU: 24
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X