Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Uni game day

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    Outscored 58-0 in the first half this season.
    Good lord...I didn't realize it was that bad. Time to mix another drink...
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The play calling needs to be more like the last part of the fourth quarter. Get rid of all the unneeded motion. Watch the other team's defense. They make no adjustments when the Jacks move the tight ends from one side to the other or to the backfield. On what, the 1 yard line and we have a false start because of the unneeded motion. Get rid of the 'wild rabbit' too. We aren't fooling anyone. I've been wanting to see them pass out of that set, and the one time they do it this game, I don't think anyone on defense thought it was going to be a run the entire time.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
        Get rid of the 'wild rabbit' too. We aren't fooling anyone. I've been wanting to see them pass out of that set, and the one time they do it this game, I don't think anyone on defense thought it was going to be a run the entire time.
        I guess that's where I'm at with this one. Like yourself, I was waiting for Minett to finally pass it, and now that he has and seeing what it produced, that play has run its course.

I guess Minett has gotten a few good runs out of it...but I'm not so sure it confuses the D much.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

As for the running vs. passing, going into the final drive with 4-5 min left (the drive where Cochart caught the TD) we had 23 passes and 21 runs. That's pretty good balance. The only reason the pass total is so high is because at the end we had to throw every play. Just thought I'd point that out.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Tough loss, Jacks. You got us in Brookings next year, so relax!

Comment

"In '93 at the start of the season McDonald had a good arm and no head. By the middle of the season you could watch him checking off recievers and throwing pin point strikes. It was a thing of beauty. This could happen again with TOB."

I believe there is a low probability in this.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                So are the O'Brien lovers out there ready to admit that he is falling short of his potential by far yet?
                Once upon a time there was a QB who wasn't very good as a sophomore. He improved a little as a junior and in his senior year, he grew up to become Ryan Berry.

Regarding Meadows: He isn't responsible for TOB's poor play in the first half. Looked like there were a lot of open receivers to me. Isn't it the coach's job to get the players in the right spot? It looked like they were in the right spot. TOB improved a lot in the second half. I'm no expert, but as I recall, Ryan Berry used to get obliterated about five times a game, but he got the ball off on target on those plays. TOB stood in there a lot more in the second half, and it paid off. Maybe he learned something. If you think Sumner would do better, you're kidding yourselves. He's a very talented young guy, but it's a big step from playing Brookings High School to playing UNI. Give him this year to learn and next year, we'll see.

Tyler: My understanding is that Steve Imming has asked Tyler to interject more. So he's doing what he's asked to do. All you have to do is listen to the godawful announcers on the UNI TV feed for about 20 seconds and you realize how good both Steve and Tyler are. Nobody studies and prepares more for games than Tyler does. Take note of the stats he brings in, and he has a close relationship with the coaching staff and brings a good bit of insight there.

Minett: On the pass play, he was no doubt pressing trying to make things happen. The point of the Flash (Wildcat) isn't to deceive anybody, but to put another blocker out there. It's not "surprise!" but is more "let's see if you can stop us". UNI did better than others have with it, I'll admit, but it's probably good to mix it up a bit and keep that in the gameplan.

Positives? Cochart, Tyrell Kool, Minett, O-line, Brodie, Domino, Wise.

0-4? I guess we should have known this was possible, given the insane schedule (3 of 4 on the road, everybody's ranked... Wish we could afford a home game vs. Wagner or Austin Peay like NDSU has every year.)
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Wish we could afford a home game vs. Wagner or Austin Peay like NDSU has every year.
                  Oh, we could. And I suspect we will. And soon. Like next year. Cobbling together this year's schedule, when we were in transition, was difficult. The lesson learned should be that there is an upside to scheduling an easier game at home to open the season. Not a team a division down, but not somebody who's going to be ranked, either. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's a model we can shoot for.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

1. TOB: I had such high hopes the kid. So far...wow...not good. To date this year, he's been worse than last year.

2. Play-calling: You can question it, no doubt. In fact, this forum would be both boring and unpopular if nobody disagreed with each other. There have been some head-scratchers.

3. Offense: The two things listed above have made the offense a disaster so far this year. ZERO points in the first half. ZERO. There's plenty of blame to go around.

4. 0-4: Ouch. I didn't think this was going to happen. For some reason, I have hope for next week. I'll grant 0-5 is a very real possibility, but I think we'll show up Saturday...and I don't always feel that way. But O'Brien must do better. Plain and simple, no questions asked. He is crippling the offense.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Once upon a time there was a QB who wasn't very good as a sophomore. He improved a little as a junior and in his senior year, he grew up to become Ryan Berry.

Regarding Meadows: He isn't responsible for TOB's poor play in the first half. Looked like there were a lot of open receivers to me. Isn't it the coach's job to get the players in the right spot? It looked like they were in the right spot. TOB improved a lot in the second half. I'm no expert, but as I recall, Ryan Berry used to get obliterated about five times a game, but he got the ball off on target on those plays. TOB stood in there a lot more in the second half, and it paid off. Maybe he learned something. If you think Sumner would do better, you're kidding yourselves. He's a very talented young guy, but it's a big step from playing Brookings High School to playing UNI. Give him this year to learn and next year, we'll see.

Tyler: My understanding is that Steve Imming has asked Tyler to interject more. So he's doing what he's asked to do. All you have to do is listen to the godawful announcers on the UNI TV feed for about 20 seconds and you realize how good both Steve and Tyler are. Nobody studies and prepares more for games than Tyler does. Take note of the stats he brings in, and he has a close relationship with the coaching staff and brings a good bit of insight there.

Minett: On the pass play, he was no doubt pressing trying to make things happen. The point of the Flash (Wildcat) isn't to deceive anybody, but to put another blocker out there. It's not "surprise!" but is more "let's see if you can stop us". UNI did better than others have with it, I'll admit, but it's probably good to mix it up a bit and keep that in the gameplan.

Positives? Cochart, Tyrell Kool, Minett, O-line, Brodie, Domino, Wise.

0-4? I guess we should have known this was possible, given the insane schedule (3 of 4 on the road, everybody's ranked... Wish we could afford a home game vs. Wagner or Austin Peay like NDSU has every year.)
                      Couldn't agree more about Tyler and Steve. They do an awesome job and are some of the better radio guys covering college ball you will ever find. We are fortunate to have both of them doing Jackrabbit sports.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        I guess that's where I'm at with this one. Like yourself, I was waiting for Minett to finally pass it, and now that he has and seeing what it produced, that play has run its course.

I guess Minett has gotten a few good runs out of it...but I'm not so sure it confuses the D much.
                        Lets admit that was the worse play call in history, even exceeding the play out of the wildcat formation down at the one yard line against Nebraska a week ago. We drive down there and then call a play like that. Heck we don't even throw it to our best WR We run the play and throw it a WR that is more of a possession Wr than anything else.
                        Wow- we need a wake up call.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          Iwas just going to say let Tief fly downfield three times .....maybe he could get open one of them.....but we're intercepted....please learn from this game,please.
                          And how stupid was that? Bring a kid off the bench in the 4th quarter to throw one deep ball- Unbelievable!! at least we got a pass interference call but offset by a offensive holding call.

Comment

I am one of the 4000 quiet fans who were order by theeeee cats@ss not to show up on Saturday. Guess what I will be there, and cheering.
                            Enough about the qb, coaching staff and their shortcomings. I am thankful all these helpful critics are not keeping score on my life.

Comment

No way to keep me from the game Saturday, to cheer on the Jacks, though I may be a bit slow climbing the stairs. Fully expect to see them win. I am after all a fan.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I am one of the 4000 quiet fans who were order by theeeee cats@ss not to show up on Saturday. Guess what I will be there, and cheering.
                                Enough about the qb, coaching staff and their shortcomings. I am thankful all these helpful critics are not keeping score on my life.
                                If you are cheering then you aren't quiet are you? But if you are the little old lady telling me(and apparently other fans on here to be quiet) then yes there may be a problem.
                                I'll take my neg rep now. Sign it a little nicer this time would you?
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X