New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Stadium

if it's on state owned public property, the state will have a say in what will, or will not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
      if it's on state owned public property, the state will have a say in what will, or will not happen.
      just no skin in the game...

Comment

think about this, government never has "skin in the game" it's not their money to begin with. it's the taxpayers.

Comment

Though in America the government is the taxpayer as in We the People. So, the government does have some skin in the game.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Always amazes me that the state has to approve plans for which they contribute no money to build or maintain a facility.
            I agree wholeheartedly

Comment

I believe the major consideration is as someone else has stated that the facilities are often built on state property. Secondly the state has to provide funds for maintence of the facility forever. They seldom if ever go back to the donors for utilitie expenses. We depend on the government appropriations for these items.

Since the BOR are the first level of control, approval is normally required and then we are on to the legislature for their okay.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                Just as an FYI there are currently 89 members of the Foundation's Council of Trustees. See page 34 for the list.

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/wp-con...DF-FOR-WEB.pdf

Also it is my understanding that the President will be sharing a number of facilities master plans with the Board of Regents to make sure they are up to date on the progress that has been made and to ask their permission to take the next steps (the next steps will involve additional and more detailed planning). There are lots of steps when you are talking about master plans that project out to 2025.

Go State!

How does someone get on the SDSU Foundation? I noticed they are some that are from around the United States.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  How does someone get on the SDSU Foundation? I noticed they are some that are from around the United States.
                  It helps to know people who are already on the board, plus you need to bring some expertise and networks of knowing people that will move the foundation goals forward. Others probably have a better answer. I served on the Alumni Council for two years and enjoyed that but do not wish for a position on the foundation board.
                  I frankly do not know enough people who are in position to help SDSU.

I do think they do need to include more recent grads, who down the road could be big assets to SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Seems like what I read did mention the public phase, which was not defined. Can you help me out here? How would the public phase differ from the private phase?
                    All fund drives my foundations usually begin with contacts looking for large initial donors, and includes working with numerous known donors. At some point, the drive goes "public", i.e., it is pushed through more solicitations with all possibe donors and includes a lot more publicity in an attempt to reach the "goal".

I was on the Foundation board for 20 years and served as its president for two terms...but that was a long time ago. The Foundation Board is now much larger and includes a cross-section of donors and knowers (those who know possible donors and are willing to work on them). Every person who is asked to join the Foundation board, makes a financial commitment (varying sizes) to the Foundation, showing their own commitment, so they can ask others to commit. If you're interested in a Foundation Board position, contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      It will be a major announcement, but not to announce a major contribution to a new football stadium
                      I know exactly what the announcement is about, I just wanted to tease a little. To say it isn't to announce a contribution DIRECTLY to a new football stadium would be correct. I hope I can juggle my schedule and be there. I wish I had more time to contribute to the campaign. I'm very glad there are dedicated people who have spearheaded the effort and want to be there in person to thank them.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                        I don't know if anyone else is watching the Utah State vs. BYU game on ESPN, but I have posted on here before that they have a great stadium that we could definently model ours after. It holds around 25,000 and has great volume, its sounds very loud on TV. Here is photo of Romney Stadium.

I am watching it and thought the same thing.. Would look great in Brookings

Comment

there a lot of questions that need to answered before a stadium is built or added on to.
                          one of them is, are you going to be able to fill it up every game? if you have 25k seats and only put 15k fans in there you're wasting your money. nothing looks worse than a lot of empty seats.
                          you need parking, you need streets that can handle additional traffic. you need water you need sewer. none of it is free, or cheep.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                            there a lot of questions that need to answered before a stadium is built or added on to.
                            one of them is, are you going to be able to fill it up every game? if you have 25k seats and only put 15k fans in there you're wasting your money. nothing looks worse than a lot of empty seats.
                            you need parking, you need streets that can handle additional traffic. you need water you need sewer. none of it is free, or cheep.
                            People with way more experience than any of us have already asked that question and did those studies, that's why they have created a master plan that simply does not answer the questions about a stadium, but about the entire campus as a whole.We know things cost money, you still have to build for the future and expandability. Or you just end up rebuild 10 years down the road.
                            I believe they are going more for the 20000 seats. We are maxing out currently at around 13000-14000. I also think a lot of students do not come to the games because they are usually SOL when they get there for any sort of decent seating. I believe we can fill 18000 no problem every game.
                            Currently traffic is not really a big deal....It's never taken me more than 15 minutes to get out of the area after a game. So I'm not buying the parking or the traffic too much. People walk. We walked 5 blocks to get to Lincoln Memorial.They have way more of an influx of people and then we would ever have to plan for, and to be honest, I don't think they care...took 20 minutes for us to get from the ground to our nosebleed.
                            Nobody's going to argue about the need for additional bathrooms. However even an added set opposite the main stand will be more than enough when once again you consider how fast you get thru the bathrooms we have now with 12000-14000 folks, with a couple port-a-pottys to help.
                            These all sound like Sioux Falls Anti-events center grumblings. My stand on that remains the same: Getting 20000 people to an event in one area is never convenient. 20000 people leaving an event is never convenient. No none of it is cheap or free that's why they convince donors to give large amounts. Then they ask for donations from everybody else. I've been saying it for years, I have no problem with paying a few extra bucks a ticket if it will help in any way. I give what I can.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I believe the major consideration is as someone else has stated that the facilities are often built on state property. Secondly the state has to provide funds for maintence of the facility forever. They seldom if ever go back to the donors for utilitie expenses. We depend on the government appropriations for these items.

Since the BOR are the first level of control, approval is normally required and then we are on to the legislature for their okay.
                              I think the problem is that the legislative approval comes in February or March then construction can't happen until July 1. A lot can happen in that interim (like costs going up dramatically, for example). And it's not like the Regents have been irresponsible with their management of physical facilities. I think it is odd that the Regents don't have the power to approve projects without Legislative approval.

As for maintenance: The state has shirked its duties to pay for maintenance for decades. The universities are left to fend for themselves. The reality is: The state doesn't buy buildings and it doesn't do much to maintain them, either.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

so, what do you consider a realistic number of seats to add to the current stadium? what is the capacity of the stadium now? what is the average attendance? i have never been there, but i'm considering going to the game next weekend. can a person walk up to the ticket window and buy a ticket? i will have about a 500 mile drive would it be worthwhile to make the drive?

Comment

Working...
                                X