Jimmy Rogers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimmy Rogers

You know, we can rip on the coaching staff all we want, but in the end, it boils down to the players and having them step up.

As I mentioned in another thread, the difference between the mediocre teams and the great teams is paying attention to the little things... catching catchable passes, blocking for a second longer, making field goals, not making bone-headed penalties, etc.... those are things that the PLAYERS themselves can control.

When I played football *gasp!* nearly 20 years ago, our coaches said "We can't win the game for you, we can't put on the pads and play the game for you. YOU have to go out and do it." Well, we haven't the past few games and it's come back to bite us in the butt.

There comes a point where the coaches can do all they can humanly do... then it becomes the players' responsibility to step up. I didn't see that for three quarters Saturday night. I'm hoping the 0-2 record lights a fire under their butts by the time Saturday rolls around.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
      You know, we can rip on the coaching staff all we want, but in the end, it boils down to the players and having them step up.

As I mentioned in another thread, the difference between the mediocre teams and the great teams is paying attention to the little things... catching catchable passes, blocking for a second longer, making field goals, not making bone-headed penalties, etc.... those are things that the PLAYERS themselves can control.

When I played football *gasp!* nearly 20 years ago, our coaches said "We can't win the game for you, we can't put on the pads and play the game for you. YOU have to go out and do it." Well, we haven't the past few games and it's come back to bite us in the butt.

There comes a point where the coaches can do all they can humanly do... then it becomes the players' responsibility to step up. I didn't see that for three quarters Saturday night. I'm hoping the 0-2 record lights a fire under their butts by the time Saturday rolls around.
      Great post.

I'll add this. There were times when I played at SDSU that I felt the coaches had us more than ready going in...and we laid and egg and lost. Other times I felt like it would be a long day on gameday for whatever reason...and we rolled over the opponent.

Coaches can only do so much before the players have to perform.

And this year's play calling...it would appear to me from last Saturday that Eidsness is calling the plays. Meadows spent most offensive series at the opposite end of the field watching...which bugged the carp out of me. JD was running the sideline during our time with the ball. Meadows jumped in between series with the O-Line.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

And to those fans who think they have to yell "sit down" to fans that are rooting on the team, I've got news for you... This isn't the St. John's Lutheran Church Social.... this is a COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME... Standing up and yelling is not only acceptible behavior, it's ENCOURAGED!

This is one area where our neigbors to the north has us beat... I can remember sitting among a bunch of NDSU fans a few years ago and they NEVER SHUT UP!! We need to have those people in the stands, that are going to yell, make noise, and cheer on the team whether we're up 20 points or down 20.

So for you who say to "Sit Down and Shut Up," I stick my tongue out at you.

For crying out loud, this is FOOTBALL, not GOLF!!!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

You're right... one person won't make a difference... but can you imagine if all 12-thousand were to get on there feet and start cheering? That's HUGE! But hey, it's gotta start with one person and go from there.

Like I said, this ain't no church social... if you want peace and quiet, listen to or watch the game at home.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

You're right... one person won't make a difference... but can you imagine if all 12-thousand were to get on there feet and start cheering? That's HUGE! But hey, it's gotta start with one person and go from there.

Like I said, this ain't no church social... if you want peace and quiet, listen to or watch the game at home.
            I deleted the post that you are making reference to and I doubt very seldon the crowd affects the outcome of a 3rd down play. We may think so at the Fargodome, but even there we found ways to silence the crowd. There were some years where we did not.

If you are blocking the view of some one who has paid equal admission, how exactly do you justify that action? Do you have a right to block some one view of the game? Because you are boistrous fan? I dont think so.

Comment

So we're supposed to sit down and be quiet all the time? Sheesh, man. It's a game. If your view is getting obstructed, that's why there's the video display.... or just stand up.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

So we're supposed to sit down and be quiet all the time? Sheesh, man. It's a game. If your view is getting obstructed, that's why there's the video display.... or just stand up.

I may offend a few people here, but I think it needs to be said and I've actually probably said it before, but not this harsh.

I've been an SDSU fan and have been attending SDSU sporting events for the past 5-6 years and have become a very passionate fan. Now I know we all root for our team differently and I know some of the fans at the games have been around a lot longer than I have, etc.
                But when it comes to "game-time" and how our fans(students included) react and give to the players on the field as far as emotion. Other than very big games...Summit League Championship, NDSU/SDSU 2007 Dakota Marker and WNIT games. We as fans are not good, actually we are not good at all. BTW, I was not as harsh as I wanted to be.

I'm not talking about standing up the whole game...that's for the students. But standing up and yelling when the team takes the feild or at least making some noise on 3rd down plays...don't tell me it doesn't help the team. Considering players on the field are looking up at us and encouraging noise...it does help, and the players want it and deserve it. This is why they call it a "home court/field advantage", it isn't just some made-up term. It's why Las Vegas gives the home-team 3 points just for being at home.
                And as far as people being told to "settle down" or "sit down" such is the case at EVERY home game, FB or BB...I'm sorry, but I'll never sympathize, not even when I'm 80 years old and still going to Jackrabbit FB and BB.

And sorry for the further thread-drift, but I'm guessing Jimmy Rodgers would agree with me 100%.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                  I may offend a few people here, but I think it needs to be said and I've actually probably said it before, but not this harsh.

I've been an SDSU fan and have been attending SDSU sporting events for the past 5-6 years and have become a very passionate fan. Now I know we all root for our team differently and I know some of the fans at the games have been around a lot longer than I have, etc.
                  But when it comes to "game-time" and how our fans(students included) react and give to the players on the field as far as emotion. Other than very big games...Summit League Championship, NDSU/SDSU 2007 Dakota Marker and WNIT games. We as fans are not good, actually we are not good at all. BTW, I was not as harsh as I wanted to be.

I'm not talking about standing up the whole game...that's for the students. But standing up and yelling when the team takes the feild or at least making some noise on 3rd down plays...don't tell me it doesn't help the team. Considering players on the field are looking up at us and encouraging noise...it does help, and the players want it and deserve it. This is why they call it a "home court/field advantage", it isn't just some made-up term. It's why Las Vegas gives the home-team 3 points just for being at home.
                  And as far as people being told to "settle down" or "sit down" such is the case at EVERY home game, FB or BB...I'm sorry, but I'll never sympathize, not even when I'm 80 years old and still going to Jackrabbit FB and BB.

Go Jacks!!

Well said. Although not "harsh" enough.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

And sorry for the further thread-drift, but I'm guessing Jimmy Rodgers would agree with me 100%.

Go Jacks!!
                    Something tells me this post is aimed at me and my age group, but first of all I am not offended by what you have said. I do disagree about the 3rd down plays. I can not count the times where the opponent has converted on 3rd down due to a line backer missing his assignment and zigging when should have zagged. Those standing and yelling often politely say OH sh&t and then shut up and sit down. Yes the 3rd down group should make a difference, but the way it currently is working and with our team off to a slow start, I dont expect any change soon. Just be more gentle to people who question your standing and yelling like a fool on 3rd down.

As far as being 80 not sympathizing with those who might complain about their view being blocked, most who are 80 plus do not get above row 5 or6 as our facility was so poorly built in the 1960's when I was a student btw, that they did not have any hand rails installed above the tunnel opening between Sections EF and I believe GH. So those folks are not going to be telling you to sit down. They are down and front so to speak based on physical setbacks. My point is that at age nearly 70, I have more aches and pains than I ever imagined at age 35 or when I was 28 or 29. So you might be whistling a different tune by the time you reach age 80. Maybe the new facility will have elavators and wider aisles with hand rails. I am certainly going to voice my opinion on that issue.

I did by the way stand on 3rd down plays at the ISU game and the Daktronic folks who sat behind me did not seem to care one way or another. In fact one spouse of the Daktronic houncho's has the most annoying voice and cackle. She uses it all the time, she and hubby usually stand too on 3rd downs. Most of the fans between Rows 6 and 17 in Section F are a very quiet bunch. I dont find that offensive either. Either way I will continue to come to games and will continue to sit ahead of the annoying mannerism's of some family that has given very generously to SDSU.

Telling people to go to a church social when they have paid the same admission as you have and you have blocked their view is not right either. Maybe you might explain why you are standing. Some folks are not always up on football rules.

Comment

Maybe a compromise is that ticket holders (less the students and band) stay seated to not block anyones view, but are allowed to scream their n*ts off?!?

Believe me, I do sympathize with those who have physical limits as to standing up, sitting down, etc.

It's all about noise. As long as we can make as much of it as we want, I'm cool.

But like previous posters have said, this isn't the library.

With that in mind and currently sitting in Section J, I'm not sure why I would want to move closer to the 50 to try to see over the students and band. Seems rather odd. Maybe that will get fixed once our stadium upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        Maybe a compromise is that ticket holders (less the students and band) stay seated to not block anyones view, but are allowed to scream their n*ts off?!?

Believe me, I do sympathize with those who have physical limits as to standing up, sitting down, etc.

It's all about noise. As long as we can make as much of it as we want, I'm cool.

But like previous posters have said, this isn't the library.

With that in mind and currently sitting in Section J, I'm not sure why I would want to move closer to the 50 to try to see over the students and band. Seems rather odd. Maybe that will get fixed once our stadium upgraded.
                        I'm with TK. You don't have to stand and block someone's view to yell on 3rd down.

IMO, you cheer, yell, scream whenever you want to.

You stand cheer, yell, scream when something happens on the field.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Here's a thought.. have the next re-distribution year make a cheering/standing section where people know people around them will stand on 3rd down and scream, heck I wish they had this now, and then I would consider season tix. They could start with a small section and then increase it's size based on demand. Maybe charge $10 extra bucks to sit there for a year but give a T-shirt to everyone that sits there. They could also have a rule prevent standing the entire game in that section tor prevent that from happening.

Oh: and they should sell beer... @ like $6 a cup. (getting drunk would prove to be cost prohibitive in short order all but eliminating that issue)

Comment

SF rabbitt fan,

Good research.....you must be very bored! Too bad 2008 the entire game plans were made by Don Bailey. And look what happend the year after he left, although we did lose ryan berry in his defense there should not have been that much of a drop off with the quality o line, backs and wrs we had. If u have watched any sdsu fball over the past 2 years anyway you would notice the defenses we play always seem to have an idea what plays we run, probably because they are the same ones....like last year against siu when you could hear the defense yelling the plays that our offense was running out loud from the stands before they were run.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnybacker05 View Post
                              SF rabbitt fan,

Good research.....you must be very bored! Too bad 2008 the entire game plans were made by Don Bailey. And look what happend the year after he left, although we did lose ryan berry in his defense there should not have been that much of a drop off with the quality o line, backs and wrs we had. If u have watched any sdsu fball over the past 2 years anyway you would notice the defenses we play always seem to have an idea what plays we run, probably because they are the same ones....like last year against siu when you could hear the defense yelling the plays that our offense was running out loud from the stands before they were run.
                              Style is not more important than substance. I don't care if we run 1 passing play and 1 running play and gain exactly 3.4 yards every play. As long as the team is winning games, I don't care.

Last year we won games. This year we aren't. If the play calling hasn't changed, perhaps something else has???
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Getting back to the topic of this thread, Jimmy Rogers wants you to stand up and cheer (or sit down and cheer).

And if you don't, this might happen to you...

Comment

Working...
                                X