Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nebraska vs SDSU

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    In regards to the goal line wildcat call, I wonder if the coaches had the 2001 NU/CU game (63-36) in mind. Colorado kept cutting back and letting Nebraska's quick linebackers over run the play and take themselves out of position. If I remember correctly, wasn't there some sort of misdirection to go with the goal line play?

To me, it was prolly to give them a different look. I would have rather had under center with a split back field to make them guess a little bit more. Like they say ride the horse that brought you. Minnett should have had the ball I feel, just thought the tradition power run game would have been the best to get that yard.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      In regards to the goal line wildcat call, I wonder if the coaches had the 2001 NU/CU game (63-36) in mind. Colorado kept cutting back and letting Nebraska's quick linebackers over run the play and take themselves out of position. If I remember correctly, wasn't there some sort of misdirection to go with the goal line play?
      Well, I think another issue is the number of times you can run the ball up the gut even when your line is doing a good job. You can't take one play out of context.

Comment

ok, funniest moment for me of the entire game... walking across the field after the game getting shots of the players on the field and heading to the exit I needed to be at... (this will absolutely show my ignorance but oh well) am walking not with anyone, just walking ... a coach from UNL is in the same area mumbling something along the lines of "That damn number 39 had like 39 freaking tackles, it is freaking embarrassing." I was still pretty pumped about the game and said you mean Domino? he was like Yeah that damn Domino kid. I replied.. "Well, he is a very good player." his response... "It was damn embarrassing." at which point he walked away. I Swear to GOD I didn't know who he was.... ask anyone I was talking to after the game, I just thought it was funny...

So I came into work yesterday to download images and went to the Omaha Herald site to see what they had written and clicked on a link to see their coaches comments.... yep, I had a personal quote from head coach Bo Pelini.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
          ok, funniest moment for me of the entire game... walking across the field after the game getting shots of the players on the field and heading to the exit I needed to be at... (this will absolutely show my ignorance but oh well) am walking not with anyone, just walking ... a coach from UNL is in the same area mumbling something along the lines of "That damn number 39 had like 39 freaking tackles, it is freaking embarrassing." I was still pretty pumped about the game and said you mean Domino? he was like Yeah that damn Domino kid. I replied.. "Well, he is a very good player." his response... "It was damn embarrassing." at which point he walked away. I Swear to GOD I didn't know who he was.... ask anyone I was talking to after the game, I just thought it was funny...

So I came into work yesterday to download images and went to the Omaha Herald site to see what they had written and clicked on a link to see their coaches comments.... yep, I had a personal quote from head coach Bo Pelini.

Awesome!!!!

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I hadn't had a chance to post since the game until now.

A few observations:

1. We can all agree that SDSU played their hearts out and can take a lot of pride in their play.

2. The players and coaches prepared to WIN that game. They weren't there for a moral victory nor was the team there for a check. They definitely felt like they let an opportunity slip by.

3. I'm not sure many of us fans were prepared for the team to compete with Big Red. I know I wasn't. Based on the first couple weeks there wasn't much of a reason to be optimistic. In the future I as a fan will be there for the win. No moral victories for fans either.

4. If they play like that the rest of the season they will win a lot of games.

5. Hats of to the Jacks fans that made the trip to Lincoln. In talking to a number of Husker fans, they all commented on how that was the most visiting fans they have seen in Memorial Stadium. That is a Jacks game I won't ever forget.

6. Hats of to the Husker fans for being a classy bunch. The standing ovation from them to the Jacks when they left the field is something those players and coaches will never forget.

The first couple weeks weren't pretty but something tells me these guys are coming together and we might see a much better team against UNI. They will have to match the intensity because UNI is coming off a loss.

Play like your hair is on fire the rest of the way!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              You know? I wonder if anyone's ever tried that as a motivational technique.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                SUPERBUNNY

Shouldn't it be "Play like your hare is on fire" ?

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  He went in standing up but then got tackled about a yard into the end zone. In the above photo you can see the side judge signaling 'touchdown'...that never happened on the 'break the plane' play...no signal was ever given. If you need further proof, check out the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNwpv54KvnY

Go to about the :50 second mark of the video.

FWIW, why in the heck did we not ask for a 'review' on the 'break the plane' play?
                  Well, I completely disagree with you Jacks1. I've got the photo, and I've viewed the video numerous times and very carefully...and I can say without a doubt that the photo is not when the penalty was called. If you stop the video at :49, there is a piece of the yellow flag in the lower left-hand corner, and the ref is starting to run in, and waive off the play (as you can see in subsequent frames. Now go forward to :50 and you will see Kyle burst into the end zone standing up. THAT is the penalty play. Now forward to :56 and you will see Kyle's arm down on the goal line. That is the play viewed in the photo, which confirms it. And the photo clearly shows that his arm with the ball is on the goalline, and his right foot is under his left leg. The whole body, except for the foot, and the arm is off the ground...and there is no possibility that the right knee or the left knee are on the ground.

Having said that, it doesn't matter, except I'm pretty tee'd off at the call...we definitely got screwed.

Haven't posted here, been too busy since coming back from Lincoln. But IMO, any Jack football fan who isn't thrilled at the way the Jacks played, despite the loss, was either not there, or is out in left field. There is a lot I could say...but will use Bo Pellini's words from his press conference: "Give credit to the Jackrabbits. They completely outplayed us."

Also, I don't care if people continually pick at one or more players, because I pay little attention to those posts, but forget picking on TOB for any (or all) of his faults. He is way ahead of the alternative, and the coaches are NOT going to pull Austin Summer's redshirt. We are going to hope he keeps progressing...and I think he will. Could there be a battle for starting QB next year...absolutely...but this isn't next year.

And for the comments that we played "not to lose" instead of "trying to win", I say...baloney. I believe the coaches had a great plan and it kept us in the game...and the fact that two TD's were called back, shows we were in the game. I'm as proud as I can be of this team's performance Saturday night...the whole experience will be one of my better memories!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Well, I completely disagree with you Jacks1. I've got the photo, and I've viewed the video numerous times and very carefully...and I can say without a doubt that the photo is not when the penalty was called. If you stop the video at :49, there is a piece of the yellow flag in the lower left-hand corner, and the ref is starting to run in, and waive off the play (as you can see in subsequent frames. Now go forward to :50 and you will see Kyle burst into the end zone standing up. THAT is the penalty play. Now forward to :56 and you will see Kyle's arm down on the goal line. That is the play viewed in the photo, which confirms it. And the photo clearly shows that his arm with the ball is on the goalline, and his right foot is under his left leg. The whole body, except for the foot, and the arm is off the ground...and there is no possibility that the right knee or the left knee are on the ground.

Having said that, it doesn't matter, except I'm pretty tee'd off at the call...we definitely got screwed.

Haven't posted here, been too busy since coming back from Lincoln. But IMO, any Jack football fan who isn't thrilled at the way the Jacks played, despite the loss, was either not there, or is out in left field. There is a lot I could say...but will use Bo Pellini's words from his press conference: "Give credit to the Jackrabbits. They completely outplayed us."

Also, I don't care if people continually pick at one or more players, because I pay little attention to those posts, but forget picking on TOB for any (or all) of his faults. He is way ahead of the alternative, and the coaches are NOT going to pull Austin Summer's redshirt. We are going to hope he keeps progressing...and I think he will. Could there be a battle for starting QB next year...absolutely...but this isn't next year.

And for the comments that we played "not to lose" instead of "trying to win", I say...baloney. I believe the coaches had a great plan and it kept us in the game...and the fact that two TD's were called back, shows we were in the game. I'm as proud as I can be of this team's performance Saturday night...the whole experience will be one of my better memories!!
                    Holy cow that a TD. I felt like I was watching the zapruder(SP) film breaking down frame by frame.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post

That is the funniest $%&# ever!!!!!!
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                        u make some good points except the deep post that was thrown that got picked off in the end zone was thrown to A Rollins
                        That ball was thrown just a couple seconds too late. You can see him open, but when the ball was finally thrown, 2 defenders made up the ground and got the INT.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

I don't know what you guys are looking at, but in the above referenced Minett photo (post 108) his entire freaking body is on the painted part of the endzone practically, about 2 yds into the endzone. That is the penalty play. On the 'break the plane' play, his body never ended up in the endzone, just the ball when he fell forward. And again, on the 'break the plane' play, there was no TD signal given. In post 108 there is clearly a TD signal. This was from the side judge opposite the end the flag came from. Not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but my point is valid.
                          Last edited by jacks1; 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Jacks had two TD's scored by Minett in that series, not counting the penalty. Watch the TV replay, not the camera frames. When Nebraska's announcers say it is a TD, it is. Or better yet, watch the halftime highlight, it is very clear it is a TD.

Comment

Just wanted to say that I'm a Husker and from the way the game went last Saturday, yous' Jackrabbits can hang your hats on this game...albeit there was no victory. You played with inspiration, strength, and a will to succeed. The only reason you didn't win probably was the fact that the imaginary "4-star player" system held water. Otherwise, you were the better team. Good luck the rest of the season...play like you did Saturday night and you'll be in your playoffs.

Comment

I found an interesting tidbit while doing some other research

From the NCAA Rules committee action report

"Blocking Below the Waist
                                The committee had an extensive discussion about blocking below the waist. There is general agreement that the current rule is overly cumbersome and complicated. Committee members will make suggestions for modification of the rule to the secretary-rules editor who will frame possible new language. This will be considered at the next committee meeting in 2011."

Could have been a game changer.... a day late and a dollar short however.

Comment

Working...
                                X