Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Tourney Game 2 -ORU

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    I know Cadwell Park has alot of history in SD. But the facility and playing surface are average at best. When you compare the playing surfaces at Erv Heuther Field & Cadwell Park it's not even close. There are alot of politics (Amateur President lives in Salem) that go into who hosts the amateur tournament. It has nothing to do with bringing the event to the best park available. The Summit League Tourney needs to be either in Brookings or Sioux Falls!
    I understand that Sioux Falls has very nice facilities, but I also have done several state tournaments and the vibe I got there is that the most of the Canaries staff running the tournament (the minor league team there) was lackadaisical at best. Perhaps it was because it was just "amateur baseball" and not a pro game, but I was not all that impressed with the staff.

Whenever I've gone to Cadwell for a State tournament, I've found that the staff and volunteers are very enthusiastic about doing their jobs. From the grounds crew, to the concessions, to the announcing staff, they go out of their way to make sure that they are putting Mitchell in the best possible light. I've never had a bad experience doing a game at Cadwell Park.

As for politics, I don't think so.... Mitchell has been hosting the tournament on a consistent basis since the 1980's well before Dale Weber became president of the SDABA. The decision on where to host is made by the commissioners and not the president. In addition, many of the teams perfer to play in Mitchell for the State tournament. It's better situation, location-wise for some of the western teams and south central teams. And the fact that the Canaries/Pheasants have to adjust their schedule for the 10 days to accommodate the tournament makes Mitchell an easier choice.

I think with an experienced, enthusiastic volunteer staff and the fact that there is a hotbed of baseball in and around the Mitchell Area, the Summit League tournament would do very good here. It would also help SDSU get more of a foothold in the Mitchell area, as well as the south central part of the state.

Granted, I'd like to see the tournament on campus, but the facilities aren't up to specs yet. But I think this would be a HUGE PR boost for SDSU!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I never said Mitchell couldn't host a tournament (I agree on the burgers). I've played infield on all three surfaces and Mitchell is nowhere near The Stadium or Erv Heuther Field. Mitchell's playing surface is very average and I would not rate it in the top 7 in SD (1. Erv Heuther 2. SF Stadium 3. Elk Point 4. BSF (Brookings) 5. Rapid City 6. Pierre 7. Aberdeen 8. Maybe....... Mitchell). The Summit League Tourney needs to be in either Brookings or Sioux Falls. No questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
        I never said Mitchell couldn't host a tournament (I agree on the burgers). I've played infield on all three surfaces and Mitchell is nowhere near The Stadium or Erv Heuther Field. Mitchell's playing surface is very average and I would not rate it in the top 7 in SD (1. Erv Heuther 2. SF Stadium 3. Elk Point 4. BSF (Brookings) 5. Rapid City 6. Pierre 7. Aberdeen 8. Maybe....... Mitchell). The Summit League Tourney needs to be in either Brookings or Sioux Falls. No questions asked.
        It may seem strange to some that Elk Point would be ranked 3rd on your list, but I would have to agree that they have a very nice playing field and is definitely one of the best in the state.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Here's a possible site for 2012, if we can host then.Just came out in the Argus today.Sioux Falls has finally figured out in order to draw in money, you have to invest some.
          http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...12/1002/sports

Comment

One block from my house, that would be nice.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
            X