Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it might be time for open trials for pitching help from the student body.

or maybe UNC has just turned into the greatest offensive baseball team since the 27 Yankees

last week they averaged over 11 runs a game vs UNO- impressive
    this week they averaged over 21 runs a game vs the Jacks- insane
    next week 31+ runs per game vs ?? must be ORU or NDSU gonna be interesting if they keep this up

I think that will be the end of my baseball comments regarding this weeks action

OH one more thing- in the middle of ALL THAT, Nick McKay probably still has at least an outside shot at being pitcher of the week again. I mean he only gave up 3 runs in 6 innings in the first game today. in the second game UNC put up that much, AT LEAST, in 6 of 7 innings. plus he only walked one batter and had 8 Ks

honestly i dont even want to look at the box scores and know how many innings UNC scored 3+ runs, 4+ runs, 6+ runs, or 8 or 9 runs. they have had FOUR run rule games in their last 5 and technically 5 of 5, including all 3 against us, but one game today, they did not go up by 10+ until the top of the ninth, so the regulation 9 innings were played

Comment

Jacks get off to a good start vs the mavs in game 1 last night

I was a little worried. earlier in the year, coming off a great road sweep of ORU, the Jacks played back to back weeks in omaha and lost 4 of 5 games to STU and UNC

but played very well yesterday. Mckay- 8 innings, 1 earned, 1 BB, 10 Ks, 4th win in 5 summit starts (the other was a no decision. he left with the jacks leading by 3. absolutely has to be leading the P(itcher) OY race) and Frost 2 HR and 4 RBI (absolutely has to be leading the POY race) lead the way to a win

can the Jacks get another good outing from a pitcher not named Mckay

in the conference race, it feels like ORU is beginning to find their footing. after UNC scored over 21 runs a game vs the Jacks, ORU held them to less than 6 runs a game to go 2-0-1 against the bears. Jacks got back on track taking the road series 2 games to 1 in Fargo. another road series win vs UNO would be BIG and hopefully ORU / STU and NDSU / UNC beat each other up

Comment

Weird season, some major wins and then some major slumps. BIg win last night over the Huskers in Nebraska. Big series this weekend against the Bison to fight to even get a spot in the conference tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
          Weird season, some major wins and then some major slumps. BIg win last night over the Huskers in Nebraska. Big series this weekend against the Bison to fight to even get a spot in the conference tournament.
          WEIRD is an understatement!!

I am not gonna say i have this 100%, but I think since the start of conference play, the Jacks have lost SEVEN games in which we have scored SEVEN OR MORE runs (honestly I believe many people would tell you that is not possible) including losing games when we scored 15 runs and 12 runs (i truly wonder if that has ever happened to any team in ncaa history)

again, we have played 22 conference games. in those games we have had ONLY 3 games where we scored less than 5 runs, but in basically 1/3rd or our conference games we have scored 7 or more runs and still LOST!!! most coaches would be thrilled just to score 7 or more runs in a third of their games. i dont know what the ncaa percentages are on how often a team wins when they score 7 or more but i bet they are pretty darn good. i am willing to bet that ncaa teams win at least 2 out of every 3 games when they score 7 or more and i would honestly bet it is significantly higher

beyond that we have played 6 games vs UNC. after our last game vs UNC they had scored 101 runs in 6 games vs the Jacks and less than 200 runs in about 40 games against everyone else

YES that is correct UNC scored MORE than 1/3rd of their runs for the entire season in just 6 games vs the Jacks

UNC has 11 conference wins and sits currently in 4th place. SIX of their 11 wins are vs the Jacks. they have 2 wins vs UNO and they have not beaten any other conference team more than ONE time

the facts are that this Jacks team can score runs EXTREMELY well !! and in nearly every game we play, we have at least one excellent hitter on the bench- meaning we are VERY DEEP with fellas who have proven they can hit the baseball !!!!

example- we just beat the Huskers with the freshman, Ronken sitting on the bench. he is second on the team in batting average and one of SIX players batting .300 or better

I am not gonna go into all the detail about the hitting. pretty sure the Jacks have 3 of the top 6 in the conference in OPS. we can HIT!!!!

but we have WAY WAY TOO MANY errors and our pitchers walk too many, throw too many wild pitches, and are generally inconsistent, outside of McKay

we have a historically good hitting team, but errors and inconsistent pitching are threatening to put this season in the tank, no matter how good we hit

last time we actually played home games at home we played very well and won the series against first place STU. if we can do it for the last 2 weeks, maybe we can save this season!!

regarding the season and making the postseason-

we are currently in last place in the conference. WHO saw that coming after sweeping ORU in Tulsa to begin the season? but we are NOT out of hope for making the SLT. we also won the season series against league leading STU. i am pretty sure we are the only team that can say that!!

like i said, WEIRD is an understatement!!! we sweep ORU in tulsa and we win the season series against the top team (SERIOUSLY!!!) and we are in last place!!

I really think to be sure we finish in the top 4 we need to win 5 of 6 against UNO and NDSU at home to end the season. i would definitely not bet money on that happening and hopefully winning 4 of 6 will be enough!!

if we could sweep the Mavs, we would win the season series and have a tie breaker with them. in omaha we lost 2 of 3 and scored 24, YES 24, runs in the 2 losses
          we won 2 of 3 in Fargo, so if we win 2 of 3 again we win that season series and would also have the tie breaker on them

last time we actually played IN brookings, we won 2 of 3 vs STU, so hopefully that continues the next 2 weeks

if we finish in a tie with UNC, we are obviously hosed
          STU basically needs to lose every game the rest of the way for us to catch them- not gonna happen
          ORU we have the tie breaker

again WEIRD is an understatement!! it is possible we win or tie the season series with every team in the conference except one but we currently sit in last

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

WEIRD is an understatement!!

I am not gonna say i have this 100%, but I think since the start of conference play, the Jacks have lost SEVEN games in which we have scored SEVEN OR MORE runs (honestly I believe many people would tell you that is not possible) including losing games when we scored 15 runs and 12 runs (i truly wonder if that has ever happened to any team in ncaa history)

again, we have played 22 conference games. in those games we have had ONLY 3 games where we scored less than 5 runs, but in basically 1/3rd or our conference games we have scored 7 or more runs and still LOST!!! most coaches would be thrilled just to score 7 or more runs in a third of their games. i dont know what the ncaa percentages are on how often a team wins when they score 7 or more but i bet they are pretty darn good. i am willing to bet that ncaa teams win at least 2 out of every 3 games when they score 7 or more and i would honestly bet it is significantly higher

beyond that we have played 6 games vs UNC. after our last game vs UNC they had scored 101 runs in 6 games vs the Jacks and less than 200 runs in about 40 games against everyone else

YES that is correct UNC scored MORE than 1/3rd of their runs for the entire season in just 6 games vs the Jacks

UNC has 11 conference wins and sits currently in 4th place. SIX of their 11 wins are vs the Jacks. they have 2 wins vs UNO and they have not beaten any other conference team more than ONE time

the facts are that this Jacks team can score runs EXTREMELY well !! and in nearly every game we play, we have at least one excellent hitter on the bench- meaning we are VERY DEEP with fellas who have proven they can hit the baseball !!!!

example- we just beat the Huskers with the freshman, Ronken sitting on the bench. he is second on the team in batting average and one of SIX players batting .300 or better

I am not gonna go into all the detail about the hitting. pretty sure the Jacks have 3 of the top 6 in the conference in OPS. we can HIT!!!!

but we have WAY WAY TOO MANY errors and our pitchers walk too many, throw too many wild pitches, and are generally inconsistent, outside of McKay

we have a historically good hitting team, but errors and inconsistent pitching are threatening to put this season in the tank, no matter how good we hit

last time we actually played home games at home we played very well and won the series against first place STU. if we can do it for the last 2 weeks, maybe we can save this season!!

regarding the season and making the postseason-

we are currently in last place in the conference. WHO saw that coming after sweeping ORU in Tulsa to begin the season? but we are NOT out of hope for making the SLT. we also won the season series against league leading STU. i am pretty sure we are the only team that can say that!!

like i said, WEIRD is an understatement!!! we sweep ORU in tulsa and we win the season series against the top team (SERIOUSLY!!!) and we are in last place!!

I really think to be sure we finish in the top 4 we need to win 5 of 6 against UNO and NDSU at home to end the season. i would definitely not bet money on that happening and hopefully winning 4 of 6 will be enough!!

if we could sweep the Mavs, we would win the season series and have a tie breaker with them. in omaha we lost 2 of 3 and scored 24, YES 24, runs in the 2 losses
            we won 2 of 3 in Fargo, so if we win 2 of 3 again we win that season series and would also have the tie breaker on them

last time we actually played IN brookings, we won 2 of 3 vs STU, so hopefully that continues the next 2 weeks

if we finish in a tie with UNC, we are obviously hosed
            STU basically needs to lose every game the rest of the way for us to catch them- not gonna happen
            ORU we have the tie breaker

again WEIRD is an understatement!! it is possible we win or tie the season series with every team in the conference except one but we currently sit in last
            Counting today's game, the pitching staff has given up at least 10 runs in 22 of 44 games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Counting today's game, the pitching staff has given up at least 10 runs in 22 of 44 games.
              and including today, we have now lost 8 freaking conference games when scoring 7 or more runs.(11 losses overall scoring 7 or more). and plenty of those are WELL OVER 7

one troubling difference today and recently, McKay is now giving up runs also. he was completely untouchable for the first 4 or 5 weeks of the conference season winning at least 3 and maybe 4 Pitcher of the Week awards in the first 5 weeks, but recently teams are getting to him more and today he allowed 8 earned runs. I dont think the walks were terrible, by comparison to the numbers we are giving up on a regular basis. I think it was 3 BBs today for Mckay, but there were also multiple wild pitches and at least one hit batter

Clemons was absolutey terrible today. threw 22 pitches and got only 2 outs. first seven pitches he threw were balls!! plus 2 wild pitches. Clemons has been awesome in several outings this year and horribly bad in multiple others

very disappointing start to the final homestand giving up 11 runs when you have your best starter going and you also throw your top reliever

NDSU is far from unbeatable, so hopefully we get a good start tomorrow and get some momentum going. and it was good to have a game with no errors today!!! hopefully they keep that up

Comment

The pitching is god awful. I don’t even want to look up the team ERA.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  The pitching is god awful. I don’t even want to look up the team ERA.
                  Beer league slow pitch softball teams give up less runs...
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                  X