X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Colorado @ Rapid City

Final Score of Game 2

SDSU 14 - UNC 9

Attd: 674, going for the sweep tomorrow! 8-)

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      Final Score of Game 2

SDSU 14 - UNC 9

Attd: 674, going for the sweep tomorrow!  8-)

Go State!  
      Great game today...UNC's coach was begging to get thrown out after we hit that homer in the 7th. It hit just below the scoreboard in left center but above the yellow line. The Grand Slam was awesome. Hard to believe someone who's only 5'6" can hit a ball that far; but he crushed it to dead center. Lots of home runs, the wind was blowing out, not hard...but enough to factor.

I'll be back tomorrow. I had a 1:00 tee time but moved it up so I can go to the game. Hope the Jacks get the sweep...

Comment

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...cal/news02.txt

Jackrabbit's grand slam, one of team's three homers, breaks tie
        By Roger Toland, Journal staff

The baseball was flying out of Fitzgerald Stadium on Saturday, and the shortest player on the field clubbed a grand slam homer in the seventh to lead South Dakota State to a 14-9 victory over Northern Colorado.

Tony Martin, a 5-foot-5 sophomore from Omaha, cracked his third homer of the season to spark SDSU's six-run inning.

With the score knotted at 8-8, Martin hit a Jason Banks fastball 400 feet to dead center.

"I was concentrating on seeing the ball and driving in some runs," Martin said. "The fastball was right down the pipe. I was looking away, but took advantage of his mistake. I'm not a home run hitter, so I just ran around the bases." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Jacks take lead 10-9 in the bottom of the 8th. Get the closer ready. Tyson Fisher drives in two runs and is 4-5 on the day.

Comment

Just got home and saw the scores for the weekend. What was the weather like in RC this weekend?

Comment

Cal Lewis just extended the lead with a 3-run homer. Jacks 13-9 in last of the 8th.

Comment

Jake Kougl pitches the 9th. The Jacks hang on for a 13-9 victory and the week-end sweep over the Bears from the BS conference. ;D

Comment

Game 3

Final Score

SDSU 13 - UNC 9

The Jackrabbits get the sweep! 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    Game 3

Final Score

SDSU 13 - UNC 9

The Jackrabbits get the sweep!  8-)
                    Nice weekend for Reggie and the Jacks. Looking forward to the Mid-Con conference. I wonder what the contigency plan for the conference will be in the future if the weather is as crummy as it was this spring?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Great come-from-behind win over Northern Colorado to improve the season record to 20-14.

I listened to much of the later part of the game on 910 AM...good broadcast.

Northern Colorado plays a tough schedule so the 10-23 record of the Bears is a little deceptive. We're scheduled to play two games at Northern Colorado May 17-18 and then meet the Bears in the Division I Independents tourney at Orem, UT in late May (the UNC website shows UNC playing SDSU May 23 but SDSU's website shows the Jackrabbits playing the Bears May 25).

Way to go Jacks!

Comment

Great game, ball was again flying off the bats. Took awhile for the Rabbits to get going but they pulled it out. Cal had two monster blasts to center. We had a 3 errors on the game which didn't help matters but UNC did as well. Glad the Jacks were able to play out here this year and I hope it becomes an annual series. Good crowd. Weather was nice, about 60 degrees, partly cloudy all weekend long.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          [quote author=89rabbit link=1176949696/15#22 date=1177279021]Game 3

Final Score

SDSU 13 - UNC 9

The Jackrabbits get the sweep!  8-)
                          Nice weekend for Reggie and the Jacks.  Looking forward to the Mid-Con conference.  I wonder what the contigency plan for the conference will be in the future if the weather is as crummy as it was this spring?[/quote]

http://www.mid-con.com/future/08baseball.pdf

Here's the mid-con schedule for 2008. Hopefully they have make up dates in mind.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I genuinely enjoyed today's game. It is the first time I ever attended a college baseball game and I'm glad the Jacks were able to play in Rapid City. It was a beautiful day for baseball.

Comment

West-River Jack:
                              SDSU has a lot of alums on the west side of the state. What's your (or anyone who was at the game) opinion on how much of an effort should be made to have SDSU athletic events in Rapid City? Think it'll help strengthen the connection with alums out there? As you observed, the SDSU baseball team is a great product. You saw some big hits today.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                                West-River Jack:
                                SDSU has a lot of alums on the west side of the state.  What's your (or anyone who was at the game) opinion on how much of an effort should be made to have SDSU athletic events in Rapid City?  Think it'll help strengthen the connection with alums out there?  As you observed, the SDSU baseball team is a great product.  You saw some big hits today.

Go Jacks!
                                It's really hard to say.  I'm very biased toward wanting to have occasional games here because I might be able to attend.  I say "might" because I only succeeded in making one of the three games in this series.

When we played football at SD Tech several years ago the crowd was disappointingly small . . . but the expected and actual quality of the game was poor.

The crowd was probably pretty good for college baseball today but Rapid City is a town in love with baseball and I think (not certain) that American Legion Post 22 ticket holders were admitted to the game as part of the season ticket package.  Post 22 doesn't open its season for several days yet and their fans are anxious for baseball and many were in attendance.

There are a lot of SDSU alumni in the Black Hills area.  Some of us make genuine effort to attend SDSU games in Brookings on an annual basis but because of the distance a lot of SDSU alumni have drifted away from attendance at SDSU events.  Of those, there are a lot who follow the progress of the teams in the press.  The success of the women's basketball team was the topic of a lot of conversation.  The success of SDSU events in the western part of South Dakota would probably depend on whether or not those dormant fans would make an effort to attend a game again if available.  I would predict (no educated basis for this prediction) that any success in that area would be directly proportional to the projected quality of the game.  Fans didn't turn out in big numbers for SDSU Football at SD Tech a few years ago and I was disappointed in the SDSU crowd when SDSU played football at Chadron State a few years ago.  SDSU vs. Wyoming in any major sport might be a different story.  We'll probably never know unless somebody is willing to take a big chance on promoting such an event.

Comment

Working...
                                X