Division I Independent Baseball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Division I Independent Baseball Tournament

Errors cost the Jacks a couple of runs. Need a rally to end a great year with a win. I think we can do it.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

7-2, NJIT in the top of the 8th.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

7-4 top of the ninth, Runners on 1st & 2nd; 2 outs.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

7-4, final.

One heck of a year. 34 wins.

Comment

I wish I had watched the team in person. Very impressive season with lots of highlight moments.

Comment

I too did not get to see the Jacks play this year and no doubt missed a great deal of good baseball. I heard the tail end of today's game. It sounded as though we got the best pitcher from New Jersey today. It appeared he had good control of the game and we did not seem to ding him much until Cal Lewis knocked it out of the park. Also Rogers got the sacrifice run late so we were starting to get to them. Without the costly errors that some one else mentioned, the game might have been won in the last inning.

None-the-less, its been a great year for Jack Baseball. Let's hope we can hang on to Reggie for a few more years. Its a little scarey when some one come in and does a bang up job like he has done so far. Baseball has to be one of our better programs.

Also got my Rabbit Tracks Magazine in the mail today which has a large article on the 60 year span of baseball at SDSU. (1947-2007) I know we played baseball before WW1 at SDSU, but apparently it died out about 1927 and was revived after WW2.

I learned former AD Harry Forsyth was a catcher and caught the first no hitter in history. The pitcher's last name was Germanic and I dont want to guess at the spelling. His nick name was Spud and literally had a vision problem and could not see the hand signals, but could see Harry's mitt so they use the mitt to call the signals. Good reading.

As an after thought, I dont think we see the coach movement in D1 baseball that we see in mens basketball. I could be wrong, but it seems like baseball coaches don't have the lucrative offers that you see in Basketball. Of course maybe the B10, B12 and the SEC are the exceptions as getting to Omaha is a tradition especially in the SEC and those coaches are under great expectations, but for SDSU for now, not so sure, but very impressed with Reggie Christensen and hope he will hang around for a long time.

Comment

I think the most impressive fact about this year's team is that they played only 4 of 53 games in Brookings. Hopefully with a new on campus field and a conference home we can get at least a third of our games at home. I know we will have our difficulties being so far north and that March home games will be highly unlikely, but it will be nice to put some heat on ORU in future seasons.
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Via run differential, SDSU will win the Indendent Tournament in Orem, UT. Great news! (This according to the UVSC radio web cast.)
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                    Via run differential, SDSU will win the Indendent Tournament in Orem, UT.  Great news! (This according to the UVSC radio web cast.)
                    This is true. I spoke with Tyler Merriam who does the play-by-play, and he said in the final game UVSU and Chicago St. were tied at 2 in the 8th inning. The run differential was the 3rd tie-breaker and the Jacks had a huge advantage. Congrats to the Rabbits on the tourney championship and a fine season.

Comment

Tourney Hardware

All-Tournament Team
                      Co-MVP's = Craig Parry - SDSU

Position Players
                      Cal Lewis - South Dakota State
                      Jake Rogers - South Dakota State

Pitchers
                      Matt Bowman - South Dakota State
                      http://wolverinegreen.cstv.com/sport...mpionship.html

We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/

Jacks declared Independent Tournament champions

Using tie-breaking criteria, South Dakota State was declared the champion of the 2007 Division I Independent Baseball Tournament played May 23-26 in Orem, Utah.

SDSU and host Utah Valley State each finished with 3-1 records, but the Jackrabbits outscored the two teams' common opponents by 30 runs, while UVSC held a 16-run differential. The two tournament leaders did not face each other in the tournament. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Craig Parry was named Tournament Co-MVP!

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6010930

. . . SDSU's Craig Parry and North Dakota State's Ryan Langlais were named tournament co-MVPs. Parry hit .538 with three home runs and five RBIs, while Langlais batted .722 with four homers and 14 driven in. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                          X