NCAA Regional at Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regional at Oregon

I see no reason why SDSU can't be the premiere baseball program in the upper Midwest.
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
      I see no reason why SDSU can't be the premiere baseball program in the upper Midwest.
      I do not either.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        We gave up two hits in the game and three runs! It would take an idiot to not realize that we should have beaten Oregon in the first game. Two mistakes by our pitchers followed by one of their hits.
        This would have only tied the game if not for the ground ball down the first base line earlier in the contest ,called by the game commentators as a routine out,that got by to put the unearned run on base (1st maybe 2nd with no outs i believe? ) who eventually scored. Gave them hope when they were getting nothing from Somsen all game long.
        We have to improve our fielding to support our pitching if we want to beat the high profile programs.I really didn't want to pick apart the effort by the team,but we have to acknowlege our short commings in order to improve .In defense,we hardly had any practice this unusual year,c'mon indoor Human Performance Center.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling,missed some?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          This would have only tied the game if not for the ground ball down the first base line earlier in the contest ,called by the game commentators as a routine out,that got by to put the unearned run on base (1st maybe 2nd with no outs i believe? ) who eventually scored. Gave them hope when they were getting nothing from Somsen all game long.
          We have to improve our fielding to support our pitching if we want to beat the high profile programs.I really didn't want to pick apart the effort by the team,but we have to acknowlege our short commings in order to improve .In defense,we hardly had any practice this unusual year,c'mon indoor Human Performance Center.
          I may be wrong but I think the Machbitz only had 3 errors all season before the Oregon game. A lot of game transpired after that error. The critical mistakes were the walk and the HBP in front of their best, most clutch RBI guy in the bottom of the 8th. Besides, the unearned run didn't occur just because of the error. There were 2 stolen bases and a WP by Somsen. The game could have easily been won despite the error. Errors happen, you have to minimize the damage. Jacks just didn't do enough of that, didn't finish the game.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I may be wrong but I think the Machbitz only had 3 errors all season before the Oregon game. A lot of game transpired after that error. The critical mistakes were the walk and the HBP in front of their best, most clutch RBI guy in the bottom of the 8th. Besides, the unearned run didn't occur just because of the error. There were 2 stolen bases and a WP by Somsen. The game could have easily been won despite the error. Errors happen, you have to minimize the damage. Jacks just didn't do enough of that, didn't finish the game.
            I agree,that's why i mentioned i hate to bring it up,you're probably right,a usually good fielding first baseman has a rare error,it happens with the best of teams,even a golden glove major leaguer will sometimes commit an error.It just bothered me it was an unearned run,without a single hit to help advance the runner.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              I agree,that's why i mentioned i hate to bring it up,you're probably right,a usually good fielding first baseman has a rare error,it happens with the best of teams,even a golden glove major leaguer will sometimes commit an error.It just bothered me it was an unearned run,without a single hit to help advance the runner.
              I'm right there with you. I was a pitcher, not a very good one, and every error hurt me tremendously because of my inability to rebound and make smart pitches to the next guys. Layne is a great pitcher and should be able to overcome an error. Oregon must have known they could run on the Jacks because they didn't hesitate to take 2nd and 3rd which set them up to score on a WP. Pretty aggressive base running in my estimation.

It was a lot of fun, nerve racking, but fun to watch the game on ESPN3. I only wish the weather and my time commitments would have allowed me to see Layne pitch in person.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

The other issue with errors behind a pitcher is they add to the pitch count sometimes affecting how late into the game a pitcher can go.
                Last edited by 76Rabbit; 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  The other issue with errors behind a pitcher is they add to the pitch count sometimes affecting how late into the game a pitcher can go.
                  No argument from me. Layne pitched a whale of a game and did more than enough to allow the Jackrabbits to win like he did in everyone of his starts. It takes more than great pitching to win some games.

Comment

Working...
                  X