NCAA Regional at Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regional at Oregon

I'm of the school that these were two winnable games that we should have won and that we should still be playing, and that coming close isn't good enough. It was a triumph to be there, a disappointment that we didn't find way to win.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      I'm of the school that these were two winnable games that we should have won and that we should still be playing, and that coming close isn't good enough. It was a triumph to be there, a disappointment that we didn't find way to win.
      I agree, but there is always next year. We will be back.

Comment

I came on on this board today for two things. One is in another section, the other was to congratulate the Jacks on their baseball season. Then I read this and I want to puke. On occasion, you are going to beat the big boys, but 99% of the time it will be during the regular schedule. The likelihood of SDSU or USD for that matter winning a NCAA post season match at this point in our voyeur into D-1 is very unlikely. You are playing against teams and cools with much larger budgets, better coaching and conditioning staffs, etc. For you to expect to win all the time is flat out nuts. I give you credit for your skills with the pen and word processor, but your expectations are bonkers. I wished you had won, I certainly didn't expect it. And in closing, please no lectures about USD willing to just get there, blah, blah, blah and SDSU fans expect to be the best all the time. That's nonsense.That being said, to those fans well grounded, congrats on a great season and very impressive showing in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          I came on on this board today for two things. One is in another section, the other was to congratulate the Jacks on their baseball season. Then I read this and I want to puke. On occasion, you are going to beat the big boys, but 99% of the time it will be during the regular schedule. The likelihood of SDSU or USD for that matter winning a NCAA post season match at this point in our voyeur into D-1 is very unlikely. You are playing against teams and cools with much larger budgets, better coaching and conditioning staffs, etc. For you to expect to win all the time is flat out nuts. I give you credit for your skills with the pen and word processor, but your expectations are bonkers. I wished you had won, I certainly didn't expect it. And in closing, please no lectures about USD willing to just get there, blah, blah, blah and SDSU fans expect to be the best all the time. That's nonsense.That being said, to those fans well grounded, congrats on a great season and very impressive showing in the NCAA.
          Where to start?
          A. We lost two one-run games, one in 13 innings.
          B. We have already won NCAA tournament games; See SDSU women's basketball
          C. Where does this "we" come from. Jacks are how many years ahead of USD in the conversion?
          D. Quantify better coaching, please. I want to hear that one. Dave Schrage has won over 600 games as a college coach.
          E. Quantify the better facilities and conditioning, please. You do know that Oregon did not field a varsity baseball team for 25 years before 2007, correct, and has been playing D-1 baseball in its current incarnation fewer years than the Jacks have, correct?
          F. We went through the "just great to be here" phase five years ago, while USD was still Division II.
          G. USD doesn't play baseball. Where does the "we" come from?

You want me to go on?

Comment

Where to start?A. We lost two one-run games, one in 13 innings. B. We have already won NCAA tournament games; See SDSU women's basketballC. Where does this "we" come from. Jacks are how many years ahead of USD in the conversion?D. Quantify better coaching, please. I want to hear that one.E. Quantify the better facilities and conditioning, please. You do know that Oregon did not field a varsity baseball team for 25 years before 2007, correct, and has been playing D-1 baseball in its current incarnation fewer years than the Jacks have, correct? F. We went through the "just great to be here" phase five years ago, while USD was still Division II.G. USD doesn't play baseball. Where does the "we" come from?You want me to go on?
            A.). You lostB.) I was referring to men's sports. Congrats to your women, do disrespect was intendedC.) Where does WE come from. I don't believe I used the word weD.) I know you think your coaches in every sport are the absolute best in every sport. Wrong. Again, no disrespect to them, but I would bet the farm ( and yours) that the coaches at the schools in the NCAA field would be rated higher than yours. E.) If you think for one moment your facilities are better then the University of Oregon, then I want to smoke what you are smoking. Get a grip.F.) I asked you not to go the the WE WENT FIRST argument, but after being 5 years ahead of us in this so this so called magical world of D-1 sports, do I need to remind you that we each won the same amount of games or matches in competition with each other, so I wouldn't exactly be bragging and puffing out my chest how fricking superior you are because reality is you're not. If you insist on seeing it through your eyes, then I must insert the argument that maybe, just maybe, USD has superior coaching, let alone Oregon, because with such a head start in going D-1, you are even with us.G.) I know USD doesn't play baseball. Again, where does this we comment come from. I merely came online to congratulate you and your team on a good season and you take it another direction. Again, I have done my homework on you, and I will never win the power of the pen argument, so I won't try. To the rest of the Jacks fans, congrats on a good season in baseball.

Comment

A.). You lostB.) I was referring to men's sports. Congrats to your women, do disrespect was intendedC.) Where does WE come from. I don't believe I used the word weD.) I know you think your coaches in every sport are the absolute best in every sport. Wrong. Again, no disrespect to them, but I would bet the farm ( and yours) that the coaches at the schools in the NCAA field would be rated higher than yours. E.) If you think for one moment your facilities are better then the University of Oregon, then I want to smoke what you are smoking. Get a grip.F.) I asked you not to go the the WE WENT FIRST argument, but after being 5 years ahead of us in this so this so called magical world of D-1 sports, do I need to remind you that we each won the same amount of games or matches in competition with each other, so I wouldn't exactly be bragging and puffing out my chest how fricking superior you are because reality is you're not. If you insist on seeing it through your eyes, then I must insert the argument that maybe, just maybe, USD has superior coaching, let alone Oregon, because with such a head start in going D-1, you are even with us.G.) I know USD doesn't play baseball. Again, where does this we comment come from. I merely came online to congratulate you and your team on a good season and you take it another direction. Again, I have done my homework on you, and I will never win the power of the pen argument, so I won't try. To the rest of the Jacks fans, congrats on a good season in baseball.
              Knock it off.

Refers to both yoteforever and NoVa.

Although yoteforever's comments are borderline time-out-able for being smack (don't even try to tell me that calling SDSU fans "nuts" or "bonkers" isn't smackish).
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Agreed. The sports establishment tends to write off relative newcomers to D-1 such as SDSU, but the Jacks have proven several times and on multiple fronts that they belong. Winning is the next step. That and convincing fans in the Upper Midwest to get over their inferiority complex.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I think you're looking at this wrong. If it was just about any other sport than baseball then I'd agree with you, but in baseball it takes one good outing by a pitcher to win a game. I believe Nova is looking at it in retrospect of how the games played out and I agree with him. It was disappointing because both games were winnable (for that game, that night, etc.)Would SDSU win 7 out of 10? Most likely not, but those games were both winnable this past weekend in Oregon.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm not sure how you couldn't watch the games and realize that the Jacks flat out blew game 1 against Oregon and had a very good shot at winning game 2.... Unless you didn't watch the games

I compare baseball to hockey. Just like having a hot goaltender, a pitcher that is on can decide the game and have upsets happen.
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      I think you're looking at this wrong. If it was just about any other sport than baseball then I'd agree with you, but in baseball it takes one good outing by a pitcher to win a game. I believe Nova is looking at it in retrospect of how the games played out and I agree with him. It was disappointing because both games were winnable (for that game, that night, etc.)Would SDSU win 7 out of 10? Most likely not, but those games were both winnable this past weekend in Oregon.
                      I hope this doesn't engender another Modslap or threaten someone's lunch, but I agree, 95 percent. The caveat: the Baylor Big Dance game was winnable, too, and it was okay to be disappointed we didn't pull that one out. Folks might disagree, but to refresh memories, the Jacks were down by 4 with 1:14 to play. It would have taken some breaks - a turnover, a pressure trey, etc. - but it was winnable. Chad White said after that game: "We came into this game expecting to win, and we had our chances." If that's arrogant or surreal, I'll take it over just-happy-to-be-here any day of the week..
                      I bet all the Jacks' players in Eugene thought they should have won both games, and that they felt before the games they had a good chance. The transition is over and it's not bad to be disappointed when they lose close ones. That's all I was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Agreed. The sports establishment tends to write off relative newcomers to D-1 such as SDSU, but the Jacks have proven several times and on multiple fronts that they belong. Winning is the next step. That and convincing fans in the Upper Midwest to get over their inferiority complex.
                        What I was trying to say, only better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I'm so tired of this inferiority complex. Jacks had a chance to win both games and flat out blew the first game. Why be just happy they got there when they had chances at both games.
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Jackrabbits should have won both games despite making some HUGE mistakes. The biggest mistakes in game one were the walk to lead of the 8th and even more so the HBP on the 2nd guy with a 2 strike count, (he made no attempt to move and was awarded 1st base please refer to our first batter). The E3's were bad but they happened early so that enough transpired to make them essentially irrelevant at the point in the bottom of the 8th with the one guy waiting in the wings that you can't let beat you. Jackrabbits should have, could have, would have.........but didn't. It is very disappointing. Still a very proud alumni and fan just wanting more.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope this doesn't engender another Modslap or threaten someone's lunch, but I agree, 95 percent. The caveat: the Baylor Big Dance game was winnable, too, and it was okay to be disappointed we didn't pull that one out. Folks might disagree, but to refresh memories, the Jacks were down by 4 with 1:14 to play. It would have taken some breaks - a turnover, a pressure trey, etc. - but it was winnable. Chad White said after that game: "We came into this game expecting to win, and we had our chances." If that's arrogant or surreal, I'll take it over just-happy-to-be-here any day of the week..
                              I bet all the Jacks' players in Eugene thought they should have won both games, and that they felt before the games they had a good chance. The transition is over and it's not bad to be disappointed when they lose close ones. That's all I was saying.
                              We gave up two hits in the game and three runs! It would take an idiot to not realize that we should have beaten Oregon in the first game. Two mistakes by our pitchers followed by one of their hits.

Comment

I'm enjoying all the talk on the baseball page. This athletic program needs to find a way to win one of these type of games. State baseball is now on the radar and they will find it harder down the road to sneak up on someone in the tournament (See men's basketball 2013 NCAA Tournament).Hopefully this tournament showing will help bring many more good players to Brookings to compete for the Rabbits. The Rabbits received a lot of pub during the Twins broadcast on Saturday and Sunday. Great for recruiting the Upper Midwest.As a fan base we should be disappointed in the result but proud of State's effort. As stated earlier SDSU needs to find a way to win one of these games.GO RABBITS!

Comment

Working...
                                X