Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price to kansas

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    yeah and I agree with that, but what I was getting at was if SDSU supported/funded baseball like a D-I product it would be a lot harder for them to leave for those positions.
    The maximum scholarships for baseball is something like 12, so the NCAA seems to want to have this sport underfunded from the getgo. I think we have 8 maybe. So we are about on track in terms of scholarships, and in terms of salary maybe there we are not doing as good as we should be. I wonder if a big raise would have stopped Mr. Price from moving on to a better opportunity. I donot think it would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      The maximum scholarships for baseball is something like 12, so the NCAA seems to want to have this sport underfunded from the getgo. I think we have 8 maybe. So we are about on track in terms of scholarships, and in terms of salary maybe there we are not doing as good as we should be. I wonder if a big raise would have stopped Mr. Price from moving on to a better opportunity. I donot think it would have.
      Mr. Price is an almost a perfect example of how SDSU can hire bright, young coaches, give them an opportunity to make an impact which then gives them the opportunity to further their career. Ritchie is a great guy and this is a loss for the university but it is no surprise to me. He is being rewarded for his succesful efforts here at SDSU. He has the chance to return to his alma mater in the Big 12 conference to coach with his dad (who he played for) and probably become their next head coach. It doesn't get a lot better than that does it?

I really doubt a pay raise would have any impact but I have no knowledge about that. SDSU has a long way to go to fully fund all of our sports andthe focus needs to be to get the revenue-generating sports up to that level first. Other programs like baseball suffer a bit there.

Best of luck to Ritchie Price at KU. They are getting a good one in bringing him back home.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I believe we have 11.3 or something very close
        Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/07...ts-for-kansas/

Comment

I wasn't talking about the scholarships. I think SDSU is in the ball park in that terms. I was more talking about the Erv not being finished yet, the head job only making 55K, (TV stated that Price will make probably make around 85K being an assistant at Kansas). Not having a full-time assistant yet, (will have one next year, but NDSU already has 2). poor practice facilities. And on and on. It is amazing what SDSU has done as well as they have with so little. Now I think they do have some advantages. The Dakota's/Upper Midwest and Canada do have D-I baseball players that are over looked do to lack of a solid High School baseball, and other logistical problems that hurt baseball recruitment in our area.

Now I'm not saying that having a job that paid 100K, having 2 full-time assistants, having a wonderful ball-park and grade A practice facilities would have kept Price or Christiansen before him. But not having those things makes those decisions to leave a lot easier.

Comment

to a non-managerial position
              Funding aside, Christensen, as TV pointed out today, was basically hired as 'head-coach-in-waiting', and I think Price is in a similar situation.

Yes, both coaches left for assistant coach positions, but both of those assistant positions were more than *just* assistant positions.

Comment

All I hear about is the lack of facilities (which I agree with). If you don't like the lack of facilities head into the HPER and write out a check designated to facilty improvements @ Erv Heather Field. "If we build it they will come." GO RABBITS!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                  All I hear about is the lack of facilities (which I agree with). If you don't like the lack of facilities head into the HPER and write out a check designated to facilty improvements @ Erv Heather Field. "If we build it they will come." GO RABBITS!
                  Right on my friend.

Comment

Been doing that for the past 4 years 6-4-3 unfortunately my last name isn't Sanford so it's gonna take a few others to get on the bandwagon. Each time I have spoken with Justin Sell about the Erv he has indicated that it has been difficult to get the baseball alumn involved with finishing the facilities. Perhaps you could do a little recruiting for us
                    Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

Comment

Story from the player's side

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/54345/

Comment

I don't know anything about the deal, and I understand going back home, being an assistant under your pap and all of that. But this is the 2nd straight manager SDSU has lost to a non-managerial position. Which tells me that they still are not funding this or supporting it like a D-I baseball program with the success its had over the past 5 years should be. Now maybe he would have taken this anyways, but I just don't like it when a coach leaves for a lower position else where.
                        I think both Richie and Reggie left the program at SDSU better off than it was when they arrived. I also believe that both (althought not in writting) expected in Reggies case and anticipate in Richie's case to be the next head coach at their new school. That as already happened with Reggie as he is the head coach at Sacramento State. Don't be surprised if in a short period of time Richie is the new head coach at Kansas.

Clearly not a step down in either case and I thank them for what they did while at SDSU and with them both success in the future.

Now we need a new head coach that will keep us moving forward.

GBGBGJ

Comment

"Wonder what the former UNI baseball coach is up to these days"

He coaches at Indiana State and loves it.. And is doing a Great Job.

Comment

Working...
                          X