Price to kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price to kansas

Just heard today that Ritchie is headed to Lawrence to be an assistant with his father. His future wife has resigned as Brookings swim coach to follow her man. Congrats Ritchie, SDSU will miss you and all that you have done for our baseball program.

Re: Price to kansas

Dang, that's a tough loss. Was hoping we could keep him for a couple more years.

Comment

Hope SDSU can find a good replacement. Ritchie has been a SUPER success for the Jacks. Going to ass't coach from head coach at a D-I school seems to be a step down. But returning to your alma mater, alongside a dad (that he obviously respects and enjoys), I'd be hard pressed not to change too.

Good luck at Kansas, and thanks for the excitement that has returned to Jackrabbit baseball during his years here.

Comment

It doesn't surprise me, but like mango, I had hoped he would stay another year or so. He's done a great job and has elevated the program to elite status in the Summit League. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get a top-notch replacement. As Fred Oien always said, we don't want to hire losers, we hire winners and when they win they get other opportunities thrown their way. Being named an assistant coach at Kansas isn't a step down, and with his father's long and successful coaching tenture, I'm sure he will get looks in the future for head coaching at larger D-1 schools (and remember...he's just 26 years old). Thanks Ritchie, it has been fun knowing you and watching the teams you have put together. SDSU baseball is richer for your having been here.

Comment

I have to agree with everything Jack#1 said here. Fred did not stop those who had better opportunities, my mind goes back to when Soderberg went to U Of Wisconsin. Fred was not at all surprised and it gave him an opportunity to hire Nagy back. I would not be surprised Justin Sells has some one in mind, but the application process has worked real well too. Thanks Richie.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            It doesn't surprise me, but like mango, I had hoped he would stay another year or so. He's done a great job and has elevated the program to elite status in the Summit League. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get a top-notch replacement. As Fred Oien always said, we don't want to hire losers, we hire winners and when they win they get other opportunities thrown their way. Being named an assistant coach at Kansas isn't a step down, and with his father's long and successful coaching tenture, I'm sure he will get looks in the future for head coaching at larger D-1 schools (and remember...he's just 26 years old). Thanks Ritchie, it has been fun knowing you and watching the teams you have put together. SDSU baseball is richer for your having been here.
            I'm thinking he may be at Kansas until his dad steps down and he then takes as the head coach. It's just a hunch.

Comment

Here is a prompt story put out by Jason Hove a couple hours ago up on the Keloland site:

http://www.keloland.com/sports/newsd....cfm?Id=117541
              “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not a big surprise. It is the only move I think he would have taken unless a major college head coaching job opened. I agree he will probably take the head job unless something goes wrong there. He earned the change to move on at his own will so that is the important thing. This is exactly when you want to hire a new coach. Best of luck with his new team....unless they play SDSU.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;180724 I would not be surprised Justin Sell has some one in mind[/QUOTE]

Wonder what the former UNI baseball coach is up to these days.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    I'm thinking he may be at Kansas until his dad steps down and he then takes as the head coach. It's just a hunch.
                    I'm guessing he doesn't take the job unless he's assured that he is the head coach in waiting.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I wonder if former Jack player and grad assistant Jake Angier has a shot? He took a position as a full-time assistant at NDSU last season. He would lack ideal experience but that didn't seem to matter for Price.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...&Q_SEASON=2010

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I'm guessing he doesn't take the job unless he's assured that he is the head coach in waiting.
                        That very well could be true.

Comment

I don't know anything about the deal, and I understand going back home, being an assistant under your pap and all of that. But this is the 2nd straight manager SDSU has lost to a non-managerial position. Which tells me that they still are not funding this or supporting it like a D-I baseball program with the success its had over the past 5 years should be. Now maybe he would have taken this anyways, but I just don't like it when a coach leaves for a lower position else where.

Comment

I would agree with the lack of funding for baseball Joe. We need to finish our facilities!! But in the case of both Ritchie and Reggie I think their reasons for leaving were more personal than based on the lack of baseball funding.
                            Last edited by 76Rabbit; 07-01-2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

yeah and I agree with that, but what I was getting at was if SDSU supported/funded baseball like a D-I product it would be a lot harder for them to leave for those positions.

Comment

Working...
                              X