X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPUI women's basketball 'emotional abuse'

Interesting article I found:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...abuse-at-IUPUI

For any of you wondering why Julia Whitted didn't make the trip when IUPUI played SDSU. 28 players and assistants left the program in four years. Ouch! It's also six pages long!

Excerpt: "Hart repeatedly and publicly humiliated players, including handing out a framed "award" -- in front of the entire team -- to the player with the worst grade-point average. Hart probed the details of her players' personal lives, including sexual orientation, once asking a player, "Do you like girls?" Last season after a loss, Hart gave her college athletes children's "Happy Meals" for their post-game meal."
    Last edited by SDHoops; 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM.

Re: IUPUI women's basketball 'emotional abuse'

That's an interesting counter to rumors of drug abuse as an explanation for Whitted's departure.

Comment

Just a heartbreaking, appalling story . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Just a heartbreaking, appalling story . . .
        It's incredible how the conduct just got worse and worse from one page to the next......

Comment

These coaches that are abusive "eventually" get exposed, but how many students lives are ruined before that happens?The NCAA needs to look at this problem more seriously.It shouldn't take 28 players leaving for someone to realize there might be a problem .(AD?)This is in our own backyard( IUPUI), i can't appreciate enough the kind of coaches we have at SDSU, we are very fortunate to have people of high integrity & moral fiber as coaches.

Comment

It is a minor scandal that the NCAA executive committee includes the chancellor of a school with a 34% 6-year graduation rate and an athletic department that is apparently riddled with incompetence/apathy.

Comment

Hoops - Thanks for posting this story.

Having read this, how in the WORLD can IUPUI not fire the *itch and get rid of OOUU-gor also. Sounds like some serious housecleaning in the athletic dept is in order.

Well documented and researched. If such an article came out about AJ, I'm not certain even his success would save him.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Hoops - Thanks for posting this story.

Having read this, how in the WORLD can IUPUI not fire the *itch and get rid of OOUU-gor also. Sounds like some serious housecleaning in the athletic dept is in order.

Well documented and researched. If such an article came out about AJ, I'm not certain even his success would save him.
                If she routinely falsified compliance reports and coerced players to sign them, she may end up with a show-cause penalty as well.

Comment

That article is unreal.

Each page my jaw just kept dropping further towards the ground.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Can someone say "Permanent Show-Cause Penalty"?
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

With former players like Whitted willing to be sources and based on the specific facts they have presented, I think the school should suspend the coach and the named assistant, with pay, pending an investigation. They should name an interim coach on the assumption the investigation likely will not be completed before official practices start.

The President of the school should require an internal investigation done by people outside the athletic department (and perhaps by one or more people not associated with the school).

Disgusting.

Comment

Incredible story, a coaching out of fear and distrust, instead of building trust and teamwork.

Comment

The investigation begins! A three person panel.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...etball-program

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                            The investigation begins! A three person panel.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...etball-program
                            So one of them is an assistant AD...and the AD has done nothing in regards to this situation over the past years. Will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              So one of them is an assistant AD...and the AD has done nothing in regards to this situation over the past years. Will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X