IUPUI women's basketball 'emotional abuse'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of interest to Summit League WBB programs

Thought all of you might be interested in this as members of the Summit League. A lot of us knew what was going on there, but couldn't understand why nothing was being done. Kudos to Julia Whitted for stepping forward and being the face of the expose'.

Comment

Re: Of interest to Summit League WBB programs

Thanks for posting that.

It was already posted here, though:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=9961

(in a forum for league specific news)

Comment

Re: IUPUI women's basketball 'emotional abuse'

Update:

Ex-players say coach 'did it again': http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...S0607/8080400/

IUPUI coach says allegations are false: http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...TS0607/8080404

"I don't attempt to intimidate anyone," Hart said. "I have no need to intimidate people. I coach tough, I coach fair and I coach very consistent."

Comment

29 scholarship players in 6 years ~ 5 scholarship players (or over a third of the team) per year.

Comment

Interesting:

She was accompanied in the interview Friday by a university spokesman and the school's sports information director.
            She's on a tight leash. Although it's hard to tell whether the school is trying to protect her or themselves--or both.

Also interesting that they're blaming the departed compliance officer that was implicated in that eligibility scandal for their slovenly practice logs.

Comment

Beneficial to the Jacks if they keep her. With this noose about her neck, I'd be surprised if she is there by the start of the season.

IUPUI didn't qualify for the Summit this last year, and this run-off of players should assure IUPUI of this same dubious award again this year.

Sad that the Athletic Dept. couldn't get themselves out of the review panel. Fox watching the henhouse syndrome there.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Beneficial to the Jacks if they keep her. With this noose about her neck, I'd be surprised if she is there by the start of the season.
                I totally understand your point, but I think it would be more beneficial to the Jacks, and the rest of the league, if we didn't have teams winning so few games a year. I'd rather see them get a good coach come in and be at least respectable.

Comment

Sad that the Athletic Dept. couldn't get themselves out of the review panel. Fox watching the henhouse syndrome there.
                  Well, I figure the athletic department can't be staffed entirely with incompetents and seat-fillers, although it certainly appears that way. Maybe -maybe- they picked the one administrator on the staff that both knows what her job is and -does it-.

Hate to be so down on the program, but sheesh, the NCAA report didn't paint a very flattering picture and these reports don't do much for the program either. It's as if the department is filled with sinecures and patronage clients.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                    I totally understand your point, but I think it would be more beneficial to the Jacks, and the rest of the league, if we didn't have teams winning so few games a year. I'd rather see them get a good coach come in and be at least respectable.
                    Agreed. I'd prefer that the Summit was like the Big 12, winning all our OOC's, then get into conference play the RPI is bolstered. Unfortunately that hasn't been happening. The other teams really need to be .700 in OOC games for the Jacks to be bolstered by the conference RPI. Unfortunately, most of the Summit runs at .250 OOC, and those wins come against sub 250 RPI opponents.

IUPUI will be in the 300's RPI with or without this coach this year. This public negative spotlight will lead high prospects away, and she's already driven 2/3rd's of her schollie players off. IUPUI will be pathetic again this year.

If they replace this abusive coach with a kinder, firm but fair coach, and she/he bonds with this year's team, then IUPUI can rebuild, beginning this year. There can be no positive outcome which includes the current head coach nor the moved from AU assistant coach. These two need to get out of coaching. (Dismounts from soap box, heads to exit)

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Well, I figure the athletic department can't be staffed entirely with incompetents and seat-fillers, although it certainly appears that way. Maybe -maybe- they picked the one administrator on the staff that both knows what her job is and -does it-.

Hate to be so down on the program, but sheesh, the NCAA report didn't paint a very flattering picture and these reports don't do much for the program either. It's as if the department is filled with sinecures and patronage clients.
                      The isse is THE APPEARANCE OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST by having the Ath. Dept. on the task force. By being there, at all, the creditability of the task force findings is brought into play. The task force needs a LIAISON to the Ath. Dept Records and Staff, to FACILITATE the fact gathering, but the AD person should not be voting/making the decision/recommend on the situation, just the task force, in report to the IUPUI President.

Comment

The isse is THE APPEARANCE OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST by having the Ath. Dept. on the task force. By being there, at all, the creditability of the task force findings is brought into play. The task force needs a LIAISON to the Ath. Dept Records and Staff, to FACILITATE the fact gathering, but the AD person should not be voting/making the decision/recommend on the situation, just the task force, in report to the IUPUI President.
                        I get that it doesn't *look* good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the commission can't do its job effectively--that was my point. IMO this commission is being chartered simply to justify firing her with cause and getting out of what's left of her contract without having to pay for it.

Frankly, it's a wonder the NCAA hasn't gotten involved yet--there's certainly enough evidence to warrant an investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          I get that it doesn't *look* good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the commission can't do its job effectively--that was my point. IMO this commission is being chartered simply to justify firing her with cause and getting out of what's left of her contract without having to pay for it.

Frankly, it's a wonder the NCAA hasn't gotten involved yet--there's certainly enough evidence to warrant an investigation.
                          Personally, I think it really doesn't matter if they do their job effectively, the perception of the conflict of interest is a huge hill to climb in the public's eye and not many will take the commission at its word if they somehow retain her. They will have to be extra careful to make this investigation carry weight that people will actually accept. Keep in mind that the AD has said numerous times that he has her back when he could have said something much different and still not hung her out to dry.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think this is just whitewash for a decision that's already been made. I think she's toast.

Comment

Finally fired the coach. Took a while.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...rt?odyssey=mod

Comment

See still making a decision about the Asst. Coach that came with her.

Hope IUPUI gets their coaching position filled by a quality coach. Going to be a tough year in Indy this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X