Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sioux Falls Arena Problem

[QUOTE=zooropa;150312]Let me ask you this, then:

Would hosting the Summit tournament every year keep Oakland from bolting to the Horizon if it were invited?

If Oakland and ORU eventually have to play in Vermillion, Grand Forks, Brookings, Fargo and then again in Sioux Falls (3 games potentionally) every-single-year, Men and Women...yes I do.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
      Not unless Duke joined the Summit League.
      Here's a prediction for you RO: within 10 years the SDSU/USD regular season game in Frost will be broadcast on ESPN (or at the very least ESPN U, 2, etc).
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Until one of the MBB programs from the Dakota schools wins the tournament multiple times or in consecutive years as a lower seeded team, there is no way that the league moves the tournament because of a perceived home court advantage. Based on our first two years, that home court advantage hasn't mattered as the better/best teams have still made it to the finals and advanced to the NCAA tourney.

I don't ever envisioning them moving it based on a home court advantage for our women's team, no matter how many times we win the women's tournament - and that's not intended to be a slight on the women's tournament. WBB just doesn't pay the bills like MBB does with the NCAA or at most of the Summit schools (thankfully at SDSU it competes). Sorry Becky Francis and Jerry Finkenbeiner.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          If Oakland and ORU eventually have to play in Vermillion, Grand Forks, Brookings, Fargo and then again in Sioux Falls (3 games potentionally) every-single-year, Men and Women...yes I do.
          Tell me if I misunderstand you.

The way I read this, you're saying the following, in effect, would take place:

"Hi, this is the Horizon League. Because ______ left for the "Atlantic" "10", we're evaluating new schools for membership. Oakland is one of the strongest programs in our footprint that is not a member of the Horizon League. Would you be interested in applying to join?"

"Nah. We get to host the Summit League tournament every year."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Tell me if I misunderstand you.

The way I read this, you're saying the following, in effect, would take place:

"Hi, this is the Horizon League. Because ______ left for the "Atlantic" "10", we're evaluating new schools for membership. Oakland is one of the strongest programs in our footprint that is not a member of the Horizon League. Would you be interested in applying to join?"

"Nah. We get to host the Summit League tournament every year."

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

I'm not turning this now into a discussion about Oakland hosting the tournament every year. Don't get me wrong, I know what you're getting at. Would Oakland bolt to the Horizon no matter what?? They probably would.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Hope you're right and I'm wrong...honestly I do. I like the way the Summit is shaping up and if that means the Tournament stay's in SF forever....for me, since I live in SF and am an SDSU fan...that's great!!!!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              Would Oakland bolt to the Horizon no matter what?? They probably would.
              Exactly. If hosting the tournament every year wouldn't keep them out of the Horizon, hosting it every 2 years wouldn't, hosting it every 4 years wouldn't, etc.

That's why it's a good thing the president's council votes on these things.

If Beckie Francis had her way, the tournament would probably be held on one of the Grizzlies' practice courts, with fans limited to OU players' friends and family.

And so on and so forth......

--

The presidents, OTOH, have enough perspective to know that the Summit couldn't possibly draw at a truly neutral venue (what tournament outside the Big Six + MWC + "A"-"10" + Valley can?), which means -someone- is going to get a home court advantage.... and if that home court advantage is profitable and looks great on TV (stuck scoreboard aside), well............????????

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Exactly. If hosting the tournament every year wouldn't keep them out of the Horizon, hosting it every 2 years wouldn't, hosting it every 4 years wouldn't, etc.

That's why it's a good thing the president's council votes on these things.

If Beckie Francis had her way, the tournament would probably be held on one of the Grizzlies' practice courts, with fans limited to OU players' friends and family.

And so on and so forth......

--

The presidents, OTOH, have enough perspective to know that the Summit couldn't possibly draw at a truly neutral venue (what tournament outside the Big Six + MWC + "A"-"10" + Valley can?), which means -someone- is going to get a home court advantage.... and if that home court advantage is profitable and looks great on TV (stuck scoreboard aside), well............????????

Glad you allowed yourself to see both sides of the arguement.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

I'll just say this...if any team from the Summit League gets an invitation from a better, more stable conference they are gone. Nothing else would matter.

Comment

Working...
                  X