Sioux Falls Arena Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls Arena Problem

Folks have been hashing out the scoreboard issue in other threads, this isn't about that.

The Sioux Falls Arena has an approximate capacity of 7000 according to city-data.com.

What happens with the Summit tournament in 2 years if SDSU and NDSU men have 18+ win seasons at the same time USD enters the tournament (perhaps with 18 wins of their own)? And the SDSU women are as good as they are now. Would it be outlandish to assume the ENTIRE tournament could be a sellout via all session pass sales? They sold 3000 all session passes this year when the xDSU's were mediocre at best and there was no guarantee the women would see the finals.

Assuming all that happens (a bit of a long shot), would the Summit have to move?

Would Sioux Falls be forced to build a larger arena?

Could we see a Summit League tournament played in Sioux City at the Tyson events center?

Would ESPN show up for more than the finals?

How long before Douple moves on to bigger and better?

For the Summit League, it would be a great problem to have, and it is interesting to think about.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Sioux Falls Arena Problem

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Would ESPN show up for more than the finals?
    Not unless Duke joined the Summit League.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I talked to an individual affiliated with the new facility being constructed in Fargo. He was 100% confident that they would be hosting the tourney beginning in 2013. He wouldn't speak about specifics but the facility will be considerably larger than the arena and of course, brand new. So, I don't think we'll have to worry about these other concerns. We'll be making travel plans to Fargo. Things certainly might change but I wouldn't count on it.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I talked to an individual affiliated with the new facility being constructed in Fargo. He was 100% confident that they would be hosting the tourney beginning in 2013. He wouldn't speak about specifics but the facility will be considerably larger than the arena and of course, brand new. So, I don't think we'll have to worry about these other concerns. We'll be making travel plans to Fargo. Things certainly might change but I wouldn't count on it.
        How long ago? Last I saw NDSU was backing off on a new arena and looking at an extensive BSA renovation.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What new facilty? The current plan is to renovate the BSA. The proposed new facility connected to the dome is dead. Some over on Bisonville is speculating that Sanford will build it, but don't see that happening.

Comment

Several problems with that:

1) The BSA expansion isn't projected to be larger than the Arena

2) The BSA isn't available as a tourney venue

3) The Fargodome is not better than the Arena, as a basketball venue

4) No TV package (Midcontinent does not serve Fargo)

5) Sponsorship money. While speculation is that Microsoft and others would shell out dollars to make the tournament happen in Fargo, I'm not sure that the state of North Dakota would kick in what the state of South Dakota has kicked in.

6) No attendance track record. With all due respect to Bison fans, basketball attendance wasn't that great up there, nor was the Bison contingent to the tournament this year all that impressive. Given the failure of the CBA team, as compared to the success of the Skyforce, there are legitimate questions, IMO, about the willingness of Fargoans to support basketball in general, when they won't even drag themselves to see their 'home team' play in any meaningful quantities.

In short, I think SF & SD will outbid Fargo, I think they have at least as lousy a facility as Fargo, they will have a TV package in hand, and I think the tournament can be comfortably expected to draw better in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              What happens with the Summit tournament in 2 years if SDSU and NDSU men have 18+ win seasons at the same time USD enters the tournament (perhaps with 18 wins of their own)?
              This is when I quote a certain controversial wide reciever in the NFL

"Getcha popcorn ready."

That's what happens!
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Like somebody said, their envision has moved to completely renovating the BSA versus building a Fargodome addition. That improved BSA could not host the Summit League tourney, no matter how fancy it is, because it would be the home court of the Bison.

In other news...how well will it go over in Sioux Falls if Sanford Health throws an obscene amount of money into a brand new arena in Fargo when an events center/arena can't get worked out in Sioux Falls?
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  How long ago? Last I saw NDSU was backing off on a new arena and looking at an extensive BSA renovation.
                  So your telling me that guy was full of crap? I thought he might be. He was very convincing and pretty bold in his assertion that the rumor of the buildings demise was greatly over exaggerated.

In all seriousness, my point is, the current facility can be buffed and polished as much as they want, what Sioux Falls really needs is a real events center. Does that mean they should build it? I say yes, but what do I know. Great job securing the tourney for an additional 2 years, I expect that was with the contingency that a new facility would be in the works.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here is the thread discussing the change of focus with a link to the Forum article.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=9577

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The Fargodome is planning on bidding at least from what I have heard.

Midcon does serve parts of Fargo, so they do have a presence. Fargo would have the sponsors, Sanford-Merticare and Microsoft could be some major sponsors. The city would also have an interest.

Of course if SF builds a new arena this probably doesn't matter, but with USD and UND probably joining a 11,000 seat arena could be attractive.

I don't know what Zoo is talking about when it comes to attendance, NDSU was second in the league this season. I don't know why you are even talking about the CBA, pro basketball has no chance in this market with NDSU, high school sports, and Sioux hockey.

Fargo is not like Sioux Falls, it is a college town. The only pro team that has worked is the Redhawks and that has more to do with people liking to drink beer and be outside in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        I don't know what Zoo is talking about when it comes to attendance, NDSU was second in the league this season. I don't know why you are even talking about the CBA, pro basketball has no chance in this market with NDSU, high school sports, and Sioux hockey. Fargo is not like Sioux Falls, it is a college town.
                        What don't you understand? Fargo doesn't do that great a job at supporting its own basketball--let alone the prospect of paying to see teams like Oakland and IUPUI when a local team ain't playing.

The BSA didn't come close to selling out last year, when the 'fab four' were playing. If NDSU couldn't even scrape together 6,000 Fargoans to pay to see the Fab Four in their best and farewell season, in the same season that SDSU drew 5,700 to the Oakland doubleheader (and that's 5700 in attendance), what are the odds that more than 2k would show up for a non-NDSU final in the vast echoing expanse of the Fargodome?

Further, I doubt that Sanford would offer more sponsorship money to Fargo's bid than they would for Sioux Falls. Would Microsoft outbid Daktronics? And then, who's going to pony up what SD tourism paid? Or what First Premier paid?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          What don't you understand? Fargo doesn't do that great a job at supporting its own basketball--let alone the prospect of paying to see teams like Oakland and IUPUI when a local team ain't playing.

The BSA didn't come close to selling out last year, when the 'fab four' were playing. If NDSU couldn't even scrape together 6,000 Fargoans to pay to see the Fab Four in their best and farewell season, in the same season that SDSU drew 5,700 to the Oakland doubleheader (and that's 5700 in attendance), what are the odds that more than 2k would show up for a non-NDSU final in the vast echoing expanse of the Fargodome?

Further, I doubt that Sanford would offer more sponsorship money to Fargo's bid than they would for Sioux Falls. Would Microsoft outbid Daktronics? And then, who's going to pony up what SD tourism paid? Or what First Premier paid?
                          You do realize the BSA is about the worst venue in college basketball, it holds attendance back severely it seats about 5,000 people comfortably. Despite that we have been second in attendance for conference games three years running and we have only had one doubleheader.

If you want to use attendance, the game should have never moved from Tulsa since ORU is 1st in attendance every year by a mile.

I only said Sanford would be a sponsor, I never said they would break the bank. Fargo has history of bringing in big events, if SF doesn't get a new arena and there are no conflicts the dome will put forward a significant bid.

Comment

If you want to use attendance, the game should have never moved from Tulsa since ORU is 1st in attendance every year by a mile.
                            Of course, Tulsa didn't draw for -jack- when the Eagles weren't playing.

Not to mention the pitiful support for WBB there, even when the Eagles -were- playing.

--

It's not just about attendance, though. It's about money and publicity and atmosphere.

Frankly, I don't think Fargo can put together a compelling case that they would be better than Sioux Falls at this--even if one assumed that the sponsorship commitments were equal (which is a big assumption, IMO).

The SF Arena seats about 6500 and 3,000 all event passes were sold this year; given that attendance at the 'non-local' sessions was up year over year, I would expect that even more all event passes will be sold next year. If you're up to, say, 3,800 all event passes, you've pre-sold half the arena for -every single session-.

I think there's a real question whether or not Fargo could deliver those kind of numbers.

--

Understand, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I just don't see how Fargo can make a compelling case for moving the tournament--even when it comes to money.

Comment

You do realize the BSA is about the worst venue in college basketball, it holds attendance back severely it seats about 5,000 people comfortably. Despite that we have been second in attendance for conference games three years running and we have only had one doubleheader.

I only said Sanford would be a sponsor, I never said they would break the bank. Fargo has history of bringing in big events, if SF doesn't get a new arena and there are no conflicts the dome will put forward a significant bid.
                              With all due respect, BSA is far, far from the worst arena to watch a CBB game. You must not watch many lower level D1 programs and must have forgotten that the Dakotadome is now a D1 facility.

Also, ORU reports on tix sold and definetly NOT butts in seats. I have watched games where 500 appeared in attendance only to read 4,500 reported in the box score the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X