Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Tourney on TV

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    IMO, Sioux Falls and the State of South Dakota are absolutely shooting themselves in the foot, but not getting something built to attract more events like that of the Summit League Tourney.
    Attendence was down by 4000 people this year and SDSU and NDSU played 3 fewer games than last year. Taking that into consideration, I thought the attendence numbers were good.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...36/1002/sports

And to bring this thread back on track(sorry)...I think the blackout should be lifted for next year. I honestly don't think there would've been that many "fewer" fans show up for the games if it wouldn't have been blacked out, especially the sessions that SDSU did participate in.

Go Jacks!!
    I'd do something like lift the blackout if 4,500 or 5,000 tickets are sold 24 hours before that particular session.

I think the lower overall attendance is due almost exclusively by NDSU and SDSU's failure to advance past the first round in men's basketball. If either one plays a second round game, you probably get close to last year's number.

If Sioux Falls still has the tournament in 2013 when USD becomes tournament-eligible, then I think you'll definitely see one or more session sellouts, with two more teams likely in the tournament, meaning that much better chance of a local team in any particular session, and advancing to the semis and the championships.

I also think the chances of Sioux Falls getting the tournament in 2013 and 2014 went up when Oakland-IUPUI drew reasonably well in the men's championship. Attendance could have been better (my friends and I sat in our room in the Sheraton eating pizza and drinking cheaper beer, for instance, so that's four more right there) but considering that it was two of the easternmost teams in the championship game, the attendance wasn't bad.

And if you ever see an NDSU-SDSU, SDSU-USD, or NDSU-USD championship game, you may not be able to find a ticket anywhere, and we'll see how many people the old Arena can still hold for basketball.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      I'd do something like lift the blackout if 4,500 or 5,000 tickets are sold 24 hours before that particular session.

I think the lower overall attendance is due almost exclusively by NDSU and SDSU's failure to advance past the first round in men's basketball. If either one plays a second round game, you probably get close to last year's number.

If Sioux Falls still has the tournament in 2013 when USD becomes tournament-eligible, then I think you'll definitely see one or more session sellouts, with two more teams likely in the tournament, meaning that much better chance of a local team in any particular session, and advancing to the semis and the championships.

I also think the chances of Sioux Falls getting the tournament in 2013 and 2014 went up when Oakland-IUPUI drew reasonably well in the men's championship. Attendance could have been better (my friends and I sat in our room in the Sheraton eating pizza and drinking cheaper beer, for instance, so that's four more right there) but considering that it was two of the easternmost teams in the championship game, the attendance wasn't bad.

And if you ever see an NDSU-SDSU, SDSU-USD, or NDSU-USD championship game, you may not be able to find a ticket anywhere, and we'll see how many people the old Arena can still hold for basketball.
      Watching to the SDSU/ORU WBB game on ESPNU, that 5460 was pretty raucous and made that one of the best WBB championship games I've seen

Comment

If your complaining about attendance you haven't been paying attention to mid-major or lower conference tourneys. 30,000 fans over the span of the tournament at a "neutral" site far exceeds what I've seen on highlights and live games. Exceptions would be those tourneys where the #1 seed is the host and is playing, I still don't think total attendance number exceed 15,000 for women or men as individual tourneys or 30,000 when combined. Maybe I'm wrong.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
          some technical difficulties at the arena tonight. first the buzzer goes off and cant be turned off and now the scoreboards not working... how embarrassing!
          And that highlight was #1 on Sportscenter Not Top 10...

Comment

(deleted because of being a repetitive post)
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
              And that highlight was #1 on Sportscenter Not Top 10...
              link to a video?

Or were you being silly?
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                link to a video?

Or were you being silly?
                http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4988979
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  If your complaining about attendance you haven't been paying attention to mid-major or lower conference tourneys. 30,000 fans over the span of the tournament at a "neutral" site far exceeds what I've seen on highlights and live games. Exceptions would be those tourneys where the #1 seed is the host and is playing, I still don't think total attendance number exceed 15,000 for women or men as individual tourneys or 30,000 when combined. Maybe I'm wrong.
                  Watched the CUSA title game, Didn't even fill the bottom bowl and likely much less than the Summit title. Game was in Tulsa...

Comment

Working...
                  X