• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Tourney on TV

Back on Topic, from Terry's story in the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...050339/-1/sdsu

Going live

For the first time in league history, every Summit tournament game will be televised - and the signal strength is growing by the day.

Locally, Midcontinent Cable will air the first 12 games, producing 10 and picking up feeds of the men's semifinals from Metro Sports of Kansas City, Mo. The women's final will air at 3 p.m. Tuesday on ESPNU followed by the men's final at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.

Beyond that, stations in Detroit, Tulsa, Okla., and Macomb, Ill., will carry some games live. Metro Sports will show every contest in Kansas City. And networks in Fort Wayne, Ind., and Indianapolis are still exploring their options.

Plus, five men's games in the preliminary rounds will be available nationally on ESPN Full Court and ESPN360.com, another conference first. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

It made sense to me that the games were initially "blacked out" in Sioux Falls and most of southeast South Dakota. Just reading between the lines is this an indicator that ticket sales have been quite strong for the tournament?

That's great news that the games will be on in all the local markets.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't remember anything in the article indicating they had lifted the blackout. Has that been announced?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Still blacked out here in Yankton.. BOOOOOooooo

Comment

I got an email after my last post that indicated it would be blacked out in certain areas if not a sellout. Right now I don't think any sessions are considered a sell out, so if you want to see it you probably are going to have to be there.

Just got home from the first day. Two very good games (2 vs 7's). One good game on the men's side for a half and one good game for about the first 8 or 9 minutes on the women's side.

Attendance better than I expected. TV tweeted something like 2900 for the night session with sales of a little over 3000 I think.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I am in the arena for the games today but watched them on TV yesterday...no blackout in Watertown.

Not a lot of NDSU people watching the Bison women v UMKC.

Jacks fans showing up early in good numbers.

Not sure having Internet in the Arena is a good idea!

Comment

NDSU and UMKC women pretty evenly matched -- neither team doing anything outstanding but it's entertaining. 64 to 62 Umkc over NDSU with minute left... Make that 66 64

Comment

UMKC's Chazny Morris is outstanding. 27 pts

Comment

Interesting finish. UMKC takes the ball coast to coast for layup, leaving just 1.1 seconds on the clock in overtime. That was the game winner: Umkc 76 NDSU 75.

Comment

some technical difficulties at the arena tonight. first the buzzer goes off and cant be turned off and now the scoreboards not working... how embarrassing!

Comment

Just turned it on before halftime. Even though the Dakota schools aren't playing, I would have expected a bigger crowd. These are the Summit's two best teams and I would have turned out.... of course I could also have driven into the Valley tournament and didn't, so I should complain. I did attend the Valley women's semis two years ago and the turnout was sub-marginal, so maybe it's just the times we live in.

Comment

those at the game saw plenty of espn top ten plays tonight! seriously these two teams are very athletic and made some sweet plays!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                            Just turned it on before halftime. Even though the Dakota schools aren't playing, I would have expected a bigger crowd. These are the Summit's two best teams and I would have turned out.... of course I could also have driven into the Valley tournament and didn't, so I should complain. I did attend the Valley women's semis two years ago and the turnout was sub-marginal, so maybe it's just the times we live in.
                            The turnout was average for all games that didn't include SDSU. When SDSU's Women's team played late, the 1st game had very few fans. I don't know how big Nutty's North is but that place must hold 1,000 fans. NDSU didn't bring 1/5th of the fans they brought last year. Even though the weather was better and both of their teams played on the same day. The weather was rainy but there wasn't the snow from last year. I thought people would show up the liked good basketball. Both those team are rated high, they are athletic and both could have NBA caliber players on them. Good thing SDSU's Women make it to the Championship or attendance would be way down.
                            "Average" is for around this area.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                              some technical difficulties at the arena tonight. first the buzzer goes off and cant be turned off and now the scoreboards not working... how embarrassing!
                              I thought this was impressive, too. I don't think Daktronics should have to do this but it make SF look cheap. They host a tourney that brings $2,000,000 to the city 4 years in a row but yet they don't either build a new arena or update the one they have. I heard Douple say that he thinks there are many positive to building a new arena. Hosting opening round Women's Tourney games for basketball and volleyball, being a perminate home for the Summit League Tourney and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                I thought this was impressive, too. I don't think Daktronics should have to do this but it make SF look cheap. They host a tourney that brings $2,000,000 to the city 4 years in a row but yet they don't either build a new arena or update the one they have. I heard Douple say that he thinks there are many positive to building a new arena. Hosting opening round Women's Tourney games for basketball and volleyball, being a perminate home for the Summit League Tourney and other things.

IMO, Sioux Falls and the State of South Dakota are absolutely shooting themselves in the foot, but not getting something built to attract more events like that of the Summit League Tourney.
                                Attendence was down by 4000 people this year and SDSU and NDSU played 3 fewer games than last year. Taking that into consideration, I thought the attendence numbers were good.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...36/1002/sports

And to bring this thread back on track(sorry)...I think the blackout should be lifted for next year. I honestly don't think there would've been that many "fewer" fans show up for the games if it wouldn't have been blacked out, especially the sessions that SDSU did participate in.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X