Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU v. IUPUI

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    They should have one there for every conference game, they probably would have diffused that situation, that is why they are in place for big games and all football games.

One of the issues here is that in the past opposing coaches reacted differently, they kind of played along with the hecklers. A cop would have told the students to shut up once it become known that Hunter wasn't going to have any of their nonsense.
    They will have one there for every home game from here forward, according to what Hammer says Taylor told him.

I'll have to look tomorrow night, but I don't think they have that at Frost. They have regular patrols, but nobody permanently stationed in that 'visitor' buffer zone behind the seats.

---

And I really don't think the coach's response should be the guideline for acceptable conduct. The school should impose -its- standards, rather than letting the standards be 'whatever the visiting coach lets us get away with.'

Branch Rickey told Jackie Robinson before he signed him that he wanted him to have the courage to -not- respond to racial taunting.

I would like to think that Hunter & co. put that into practice last night, which puts the onus squarely on the NDSU to stop that kind of conduct -regardless- of what the coach says about it.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      They will have one there for every home game from here forward, according to what Hammer says Taylor told him.

I'll have to look tomorrow night, but I don't think they have that at Frost. They have regular patrols, but nobody permanently stationed in that 'visitor' buffer zone behind the seats.
      There is an officer that stands behind the bench at Frost, at least everytime I have happened to look they have been there.

Does NDSU have a buffer zone of seats (given to family and fans of the visiting team) behind the visitor bench like we do at Frost? I seem to remember hearing that section for visiting fans was a conference rule or stipulation, so I assume they do.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

---

And I really don't think the coach's response should be the guideline for acceptable conduct. The school should impose -its- standards, rather than letting the standards be 'whatever the visiting coach lets us get away with.'

Branch Rickey told Jackie Robinson before he signed him that he wanted him to have the courage to -not- respond to racial taunting.

I would like to think that Hunter & co. put that into practice last night, which puts the onus squarely on the NDSU to stop that kind of conduct -regardless- of what the coach says about it.
        No, I am just saying other coaches reacted differently and that kind of created a slippery slope. I think Hunter reacted negatively right away and that created a bad situation because some people don't know when to stop.

Honestly, NDSU can't control what people say and they can't do anything until somebody complains. This is the first time I have heard about this happening at a basketball game. I still have a hard time believing anything racial was said, but I will say the fans that were behind the bench mixed with Hunter's personality wasn't a good situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          There is an officer that stands behind the bench at Frost, at least everytime I have happened to look they have been there.

Does NDSU have a buffer zone of seats (given to family and fans of the visiting team) behind the visitor bench like we do at Frost? I seem to remember hearing that section for visiting fans was a conference rule or stipulation, so I assume they do.
          Yeah, there are four or five rows blocked off, that is a NCAA rule. There is also some event staff near the benches, they stand behind both benches during timeouts. At times there is a police officer as well, in the past it was just big games but now it is every game.

Comment

NDSU can't control what people say and they can't do anything until somebody complains.
            Pretty sure that's not the case.

Also, the buffer zone is a conference rule, not an NCAA rule. That was discussed a while back.

Comment

Pretty sure that's not the case.

Also, the buffer zone is a conference rule, not an NCAA rule. That was discussed a while back.
              NDSU can't control what people say, they can kick somebody out for being an idiot, but if the event staff doesn't see or hear it and nobody complains it is hard to do anything about it.

Hunter is a coach that has been around for years, if this was an ongoing problem like he says(from the national anthem on), he or an assistant could have taken care of it at halftime by just taking somebody from NDSU aside and telling them we have an issue.

It easy to blame a few students who acted like idiots, but I don't think Hunter handled this right way either. Telling a fan you are going to whoop their a** isn't exactly the most mature why to go about things.

Comment

I bet these clowns think they are cool today because of all this.

Comment

NDSU can't control what people say, they can kick somebody out for being an idiot, but if the event staff doesn't see or hear it and nobody complains it is hard to do anything about it.

Hunter is a coach that has been around for years, if this was an ongoing problem like he says(from the national anthem on), he or an assistant could have taken care of it at halftime by just taking somebody from NDSU aside and telling them we have an issue.

It easy to blame a few students who acted like idiots, but I don't think Hunter handled this right way either. Telling a fan you are going to whoop their a** isn't exactly the most mature why to go about things.
                  A few points:

- I find it hard to believe no one on the event staff heard what was going on.

However, that's done with. I think the principle of 'visible enforcement' will keep things from being a problem going forward, and I'm pretty sure the officer at the end of the bench will be able to toss rabble rousers.

- Hunter said he didn't want to have the players tossed because that might have revved up the rest of the crowd, and/or the Bison.

- Did you -hear- Hunter say that? I'd be willing to bet that the only people that heard what was said were already compromised by participation in the verbal abuse.

I'd recommend listening to the Hunter interview if you haven't already. Guy took pains to separate these guys from NDSU fans in general, from the NDSU administration, and he did not repeat anything they said.

Comment

No school can control what the fans are saying BUT they have an obligation to take control from the start. A coach at any school at this level has enough to worry about in gameplanning, adjusting the gameplan and controlling the game. They don't need to worry about the idiots getting on them and their team.

It's easy to say "block them out", but when they keep after it, it's really hard. They shouldn't have to find someone to deal with the fans - the school should be ALL over it.

BTW, I believe if you (a coach) threaten to whoop somebodies A$$ - the game should stop and they should have a throwdown on the spot. "Let's get it on" - Might shut the idiot up for once?!!

Comment

A few points:

- I find it hard to believe no one on the event staff heard what was going on.

However, that's done with. I think the principle of 'visible enforcement' will keep things from being a problem going forward, and I'm pretty sure the officer at the end of the bench will be able to toss rabble rousers.

- Hunter said he didn't want to have the players tossed because that might have revved up the rest of the crowd, and/or the Bison.

- Did you -hear- Hunter say that? I'd be willing to bet that the only people that heard what was said were already compromised by participation in the verbal abuse.

I'd recommend listening to the Hunter interview if you haven't already. Guy took pains to separate these guys from NDSU fans in general, from the NDSU administration, and he did not repeat anything they said.
                      The event staff is about 10 feet away from these hecklers. If they didn't hear it they are deaf. If they were lobbing racial slurs at IUPUI's bench, they were doing so in front of NDSU event staff and people in the NDSU athletic department that are black. I doubt they would just sit there and listen to it. I know if I had been there I wouldn't have had any of it and that is why I doubt things got racial, I think Hunter overreacted a bit and some college students saw it as their chance to heckle harder.

Like I said, maybe they went too far but I think Hunter fueled it by acknowledging them and reacting negatively. If he had a problem with these people for so long he should have addressed it before it got to there point where a fight even enters into anyone's mind. He is the adult, so while I don't agree with the behavior of these students, I also have an issue with Hunter.

Nobody had to be tossed, somebody from NDSU would have approached these fans and gave them a talking to. I have seen it done before and it is always uneventful.

I did post the link, so I did listen to it. I was also at the game and I am aware of Hunter's personality during games. That is why I am going somewhere in the middle on this one. That said, it won't happen again, the police officers are very good at what they do and always seem to make sure the students know where the line is.
                      Last edited by FargoBison; 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

If it was as bad as the IUPUI coach sez it was, it would have been interesting for him to call a time out, call the officials over and protest what was going on. Even threaten to pull his team off the court unless somerthing was done. I think it's time for the visitors to ask for relief. But the bottom line is they have to ask for it, especially in a hostile environment. Guests should be treated as guests! At least thats what some of the scoreboards call the opposition.

After things settle down, it would also be interesting to read what Hammersmith's take is on all of this. In my opinion he their level head kinda like our Filbert or Jacks #1

Comment

Like I said, maybe they went too far but I think Hunter fueled it by acknowledging them and reacting negatively.
                          Do you also think rape victims ask for it by dressing provocatively?

Do you think battered spouses fuel their beating?

Seriously, either the fan behavior is acceptable or it isn't. The coaches reaction has nothing to do with what was originally said. If racial slurs were used, what would the appropriate reaction be?

Bottom line, this is way more embarrassing for NDSU than it is for Ron Hunter (a well known philanthropist). Any argument to the contrary is not founded in reason, but in emotion.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

According to the audio clip earlier in the thread, NDSU has cops at ORU and Oakland games. Apparently not SDSU games? Because NDSU fans are known to be cordial to SDSU athletes. Ridiculous, this incident lies squarly on the NDSU administration for poor event planning and enforcement.

And I'm not throwing stones from a glass house. I would (and maybe someday will) say the same things if there was an incident like this at SDSU.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I just listened to the Ron Hunter interview again, and it does not shed a positive light on NDSU.

on security at the game "...if there was it wasn't enough. ... If there was a security person there, that person should never be able to do security again"

Do the administrators not know who these clowns are? Really?? Because apparently the assistant coaches at NDSU know they are "Fargo's finest." If they can't behave themselves, DO NOT LET THEM INTO THE ARENA. That simple.

Comment

I am sure Gene Taylor will be hearing more about this incident. It may be non-incident from his perspective, but he will not have heard the last of it. Douple no doubt will be involved and no doubt will be a big item of discussion when the Summit meets in Sioux Falls during the tourney. I think Ron Hunter has a reason to be very upset and he handled it very well, but I dont think he is going to sweep it under the rug.

Seems like we had the student group with cowbells ringing them behind the vistor's bench that first year of transition, but that was quickly stopped and put and end to, and credit our former AD for doing that. It was not what he wanted SDSU to be remembered for nor is it something we should tolerate. How can we expect our own team being treated properly on the road, when we have some morons doing stupid things at our home games?

There just is no excuse for what these three or four individuals did to this team, and no one should tolerate it period. What kind of a country are we becoming when this is acceptable behavior and admistrations stand by and make excuses and call it non-incident? Gene Taylor has come across as a class guy, but this is one time I am a bit disappointed that he allowed this to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X