Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND misses Summit window

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
    Same here. From I've read and heard, it's harder to get into the WCC than it is to join the Pac-10 where all 10 schools have to agree. Besides Gonzaga has the WCC by the you-know-what anyway.

Only reason why Seattle moved up was that they assumed that the WCC would be waiting for them with an invitation to join. WRONG!!!!

Just being blunt but PG-rated.
    I think the WCC is the longest standing unchanged conference in D-1 athletics.

They are elite, they're good in basketball, and that's about it.

I don't think they're going to be waiting for Denver with open arms.

----

Denver sponsors 11 Summit League sports, as opposed to 10 in the Sun Belt, because the Summit League sponsors men's soccer (arguably one of the better sports for the SL). They only sponsor 9 WCC sports (M & W swim/dive not offered by the WCC).

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I think the WCC is the longest standing unchanged conference in D-1 athletics.

They are elite, they're good in basketball, and that's about it.

I don't think they're going to be waiting for Denver with open arms.

----

Denver sponsors 11 Summit League sports, as opposed to 10 in the Sun Belt, because the Summit League sponsors men's soccer (arguably one of the better sports for the SL). They only sponsor 9 WCC sports (M & W swim/dive not offered by the WCC).
      All true, and yes the WCC is very difficult to get in to. They have clearly stated they aren't interested in expanding. But I'll say it again, moving to the Summit League would be an act of desperation by Denver. Outside of hockey and Lacrosse there is little interest in DU athletics in the state of Colorado. Moving to the Summit League would do nothing to improve that and it could make the situation worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Moving to the Summit League would do nothing to improve that and it could make the situation worse.
        Well, what are their choices?

They won't get into the Valley. They won't get into the Big Sky. The Big West is almost certainly uninterested. Everyone else is farther out than the Sun Belt and the Summit.

What are Denver's choices? Stay independent and be a bit player in mainstream sports, join the Great West and be a bit player in mainstream sports with no shot at a tournament, or petition to join the Summit, be a bit player in mainstream sports, but at least have a shot at getting in a tournament.

Comment

My feeling is that if the WCC expands, they will take Seattle and Pacific, of the Big West.

The Big West then may stay at 8 teams or add Cal State Bakersfield.

Denver would only work in the SL, if the SUU stays. But I think SUU will become the 10th member of the Big Sky.

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...roup/homepage/

Comment

I wonder if there is a strong sentiment among the members of this board, for inclusion of UND in the Summit League. If one reads the Siouxsports forum, it's easy to conclude the Summit League would be better off without UND. One has to read that board with a 3 x 5 notecard taped to their computer screen saying "Dont' judge the entire group by what you're reading here!" -- but geez, I'm not looking forward to running into some of those "fans"! And I also think about the acrimony between the Bison and UND -- is it a good idea to have that brought into the Summit League?

I'm not at all impressed by the acid-soaked comments and attitude I see coming from Grand Forks. I wonder how much of that finds its way to the Summit-League offices (I know some of it does ... e-mails, nasty letters etc.) Is the influence of Hockey Hooligans too strong? How many, and for how long, will those in the UND crowd think -- incorrectly -- that the Summit League pushed for the mascot change?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I wonder if there is a strong sentiment among the members of this board, for inclusion of UND in the Summit League. If one reads the Siouxsports forum, it's easy to conclude the Summit League would be better off without UND. One has to read that board with a 3 x 5 notecard taped to their computer screen saying "Dont' judge the entire group by what you're reading here!" -- but geez, I'm not looking forward to running into some of those "fans"! And I also think about the acrimony between the Bison and UND -- is it a good idea to have that brought into the Summit League?

I'm not at all impressed by the acid-soaked comments and attitude I see coming from Grand Forks. I wonder how much of that finds its way to the Summit-League offices (I know some of it does ... e-mails, nasty letters etc.) Is the influence of Hockey Hooligans too strong? How many, and for how long, will those in the UND crowd think -- incorrectly -- that the Summit League pushed for the mascot change?
                I suspect a significant part of the decision for the Summit will depend on how the finances and the selection critieria are structured for the expanded men's basketball tournament. If it looks like a net status quo for the Summit, then there's really no point in adding any additional teams. If it looks like there's a good possibility of the Summit getting a little larger slice of the pie, the equation changes.

From an aesthetic point of view, I like a 12-team, 2-division Summit with a 16-game conference basketball schedule, and two additional non-conference games to play with.

But meanwhile, if the UND community isn't careful, they'll make themselves the UTPA of the North. Not a good place to be.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would let Roebuck's comments slide since it was the day after the announcement, but if I am their AD, we had have a short and to the point conversation after that press conference. Being an independent with whatever for a logo is far, far worse than being in an auto-bid conference. If he can't see that, than maybe he isn't in the right job.

I also thought one of the reporters asked a good question, but it could have been much been answered much better. The question was whether a recruit ever said they wouldn't come to UND because of the mascot/logo. I don't recall which coach answered, but they said no and that it had actually been a help in recruiting. He should have answered, "No, and the people of UND have been a help around the country. Recruits see them with the logo on, and know what loyalty we have. The actual logo didn't make the impression, the people did."

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Before anyone meets with the Summit League, or shoots their mouth off on the record, if I'm Kelley, I have a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the AD, coaches, and staff and I say this:

"The nickname is gone. The logo is gone. And if any of you bring it up on the record, you're gone. If, in response to a question, any of you depart from the university's policy on the nickname, you're gone. If you deliberately wear any gear with the logo on it after next year, you're gone."

As far as I'm concerned, the school's nickname policy needs to be as tightly enforced as policies on personnel decisions ("we don't discuss personnel matters with the press"), matters regarding student athletes ("I'm not in a position to comment on that"), etc.

---

Of course, since UND & NDSU do so much of their negotiation in the press, I'm certain that the common sense advice that UND coaches & administrators 'shut up about the logo already' will not be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Before anyone meets with the Summit League, or shoots their mouth off on the record, if I'm Kelley, I have a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the AD, coaches, and staff and I say this:

"The nickname is gone. The logo is gone. And if any of you bring it up on the record, you're gone. If, in response to a question, any of you depart from the university's policy on the nickname, you're gone. If you deliberately wear any gear with the logo on it after next year, you're gone."

As far as I'm concerned, the school's nickname policy needs to be as tightly enforced as policies on personnel decisions ("we don't discuss personnel matters with the press"), matters regarding student athletes ("I'm not in a position to comment on that"), etc.

---

Of course, since UND & NDSU do so much of their negotiation in the press, I'm certain that the common sense advice that UND coaches & administrators 'shut up about the logo already' will not be taken.
                      Very appropriate advice. One would think your name is Thumper

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

IMO, there is NO WAY on earth the Summit doesn't add UND, no way. The instant rivalry of UND-NDSU is priceless and one of the best you'll find among low or even mid-majors in the entire country. With USD coming and CC leaving that puts the league at 11. So one more school would make sense. This is where it gets real tricky. Denver would have NO WHERE to go besides the Summit and with possible Big 10 expansion, Big East downsizing, etc, etc, etc, it's anyones guess who could fall into the Summits lap. UALR or pretty much any Horizon or Valley team looking for a home is my pick. I would love to see the league solidify and then move on and work to make it a great league instead of the "waiting room" league it has been. Alot of possibilities. in the near future...

Comment

IF Northern KY is looking to move up, I could see the Summit extend an invitation to be 12th team. IIRC, UNKy was the opponent for the national title game of the Jacks MBB (Tetzloff's year) and also the last women's BB championship game. They usually field good BB.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            IF Northern KY is looking to move up, I could see the Summit extend an invitation to be 12th team. IIRC, UNKy was the opponent for the national title game of the Jacks MBB (Tetzloff's year) and also the last women's BB championship game. They usually field good BB.
                            Thw women played UNK in 2003, but in 1985 the men were beat by 1 point by Jacksonville State, not UNK.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              Thw women played UNK in 2003, but in 1985 the men were beat by 1 point by Jacksonville State, not UNK.
                              Correction: In 1985 the men were ROBBED by the refs and Jacksonville got the title by default.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Summit will consider UND in June according to Forum article.

EDIT: article says Douple will give an update and would like some assurance that it is really over.

Comment

Working...
                                X