ORU recruiting class....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU recruiting class....

My point, exactly. In the case of the recruit from Durham. Not taking anything from him, and he might be the next Chris Paul, but Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake Forest are all approximately Brookings to Sioux Falls or Fargo to Grand Forks distance, or closer, from Durham. UNC-Asheville, UNC-Wilmington and East Carolina are all very good mid-majors a coupe hours' drive away. There may be other than Top 25 aspiration reasons a North Carolina prep school player will play for a mid-major in Oklahoma, but the fact that none of these backyard North Carolina schools made offers should say something.
    Hey, I'm not saying the kid is a 5-star player. We're in the Summit, we're debating our recruiting class versus the ORU kids and you bring up UNC, Duke and WF, three of the top 15 programs in the nation? That's like praising Callahan for dropping 30 on ORU at the Arena and then have someone come back and compare Callahan to Kobe.

UNC-Asheville and UNC-Wilmington are a joke and I would play at ORU anyday before there. ECU is a mess right now. And we don't know what these schools did and didn't do. ORU has an opening for a PG and they have a fairly well known coach in Sutton. "Come start from day one on a team that could quite possibly win the conference every year you're here and play in the Big Dance....."

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      The 2009 NCAA Div I Academic Progress Rate Report ruled that ORU will be limited to 12 MBB scholarships going forward. Does this impact the 2009 class or is it a problem for them next year?
      They're docked one scholarship for one year.

Comment

you are compairing apples to peaches.....

The reason the 1 guy from North Carolina got a lot of looks is because he played for a good prep team in North Carolina..... (Nate Wolters gained more interest after playing in a game with numerous D-I commits) I also think its hard to judge it based on what offers White and Feigen got. They were verballed as sophomores and never really played a full, healthy summer season.... Nate Wolters as well as Brayden Carlson were late bloomers and people in the know say that SDSU got steels with both of them.....

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
          Fine.....at least schools like Kentucky invited McClintock to their elite camp. What did our recruits get? I'm not sure about NDSU, but what did the three SoDak kids here from major programs? Not a word. Wolters had an offer from CSU b/c their coach knows the area and CSU is far from a big time program. UK, Gonzaga, IU etc might not have offered, but they had these kids on their radar, which is a heckuva lot more than we can say.

And for the record, if you think a school like Iowa, Minny, Creighton etc backed off of a kid like Fiegen or White b/c they verbaled to SDSU then you're off your rocker...with all due respect. They might back off a kid that verbaled to an equal or better program, but not one who has lost 20 games every year they've been D1.
          Wolters offers...SDSU, CSU, NDSU, Santa Clara, and Cal Poly
          Interest-Iowa

Zastrow offers...NDSU, Northeastern, Milwaukee
          Interest-Clemson, Iowa State, Marquette, Stanford and Wisconsin

Braun offers...NDSU, Air Force, Portland State, Montana, Santa Clara
          Interest-Arizona State, Washington State, and Oregon State

I do agree with you about schools not stopping once a player verbals, a local media outlet in Fargo said Oklahoma State offered NDSU recruit Jordan Aaberg last summer but he said no.

I wouldn't trade ORU's class for NDSU's, not a chance. You guys should be estatic about Wolters, end of story. If McClintock was so much better I garauntee I would be able to find one school that has offered him not named ORU, but I can't and I have looked.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Wolters offers...SDSU, CSU, NDSU, Santa Clara, and Cal Poly
            Interest-Iowa

Zastrow offers...NDSU, Northeastern, Milwaukee
            Interest-Clemson, Iowa State, Marquette, Stanford and Wisconsin

Braun offers...NDSU, Air Force, Portland State, Montana, Santa Clara
            Interest-Arizona State, Washington State, and Oregon State

I do agree with you about schools not stopping once a player verbals, a local media outlet in Fargo said Oklahoma State offered NDSU recruit Jordan Aaberg last summer but he said no.

I wouldn't trade ORU's class for NDSU's, not a chance. You guys should be estatic about Wolters, end of story. If McClintock was so much better I garauntee I would be able to find one school that has offered him not named ORU, but I can't and I have looked.
            I agree a lot "interest" don't mean crap and a lot of it can be hype by the local media or athlete himself. Black Hills State got a guy who had interest from the PAC-10...... Michael Collison from Iowa Falls (Nick's bro) had interest from Minnesota and signed at Briar Cliff....

Also there is a lot of "offers" that nobody knows for sure that he had.... I heard from a classmate of Dale Moss' that he had an offer to Minnesota.... did he? I really don't know....

Comment

The only offers I ever really pay attention to is what the local media reports and rivals says, and even that can be a little shakey sometimes.

I agree about interest, it can be as much as...."Roy Williams came to my high school today to watch me practice" or "Mom went to the mailbox this morning and Purdue sent me a letter." In the world of college basketball interest is a very vague term. Marquette had interest in Nate Zastrow, but then he stopped growing and they probably didn't want a barely six foot pg. His height made him a mid-major level recruit and his reported offers reflected that, but that interest from Marquette was still talked about when he signed. I agree, it is all about hype.

That is why I really would love to see who offered this McCintock kid, you do a search and message boards are gushing about him but good luck finding who offered him. The closest you get is his dad saying "some schools" have offered him or that he is visiting a certain school. Maybe this kid will turn out, but all I see is a ton of hype surrounding what seems to be a kid with few offers.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                The only offers I ever really pay attention to is what the local media reports and rivals says, and even that can be a little shakey sometimes.

I agree about interest, it can be as much as...."Roy Williams came to my high school today to watch me practice" or "Mom went to the mailbox this morning and Purdue sent me a letter." In the world of college basketball interest is a very vague term. Marquette had interest in Nate Zastrow, but then he stopped growing and they probably didn't want a barely six foot pg. His height made him a mid-major level recruit and his reported offers reflected that, but that interest from Marquette was still talked about when he signed. I agree, it is all about hype.

That is why I really would love to see who offered this McCintock kid, you do a search and message boards are gushing about him but good luck finding who offered him. The closest you get is his dad saying "some schools" have offered him or that he is visiting a certain school. Maybe this kid will turn out, but all I see is a ton of hype surrounding what seems to be a kid with few offers.
                For what it's worth your posts have been informative. I appreciate it. Rep pts.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Eh, Wolters played one game against a top team. McClintock PLAYED on a top team and played against far more superior competetion darn near every night. Wolters wasn't even first team in Minnesota.....MINNESOTA!!!
                  4A basketball in Minnesota is incredibly good competition, and I would bet very comparable to anything McClintock's team came across. Hopkins wasn't the only team serving up some premium recruits, it's just that they had the most on one team.

McClintock was all first team No. Carolina.....and that's before he enrolled at one of the top prep schools in the country.
                  That is impressive, but being an all star at one level doesn't mean you'll be an all star at the next... plus don't discount the politics involved in All State Awards, and you can look no further than Wolter's situation for that; He was the star player on a team that went 31-1 with a 3rd place finish in state at the highest level, only losing to an undefeated, nationally ranked team that he played very good against. You can't tell me he doesn't get the nod for first team if he plays for a metro team.

I was thrilled when we got Wolters, but to take him over McClintock????
                  I say with no doubt, after watching some tape on both of them, that I would take Wolters over McClintock. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but that's my take on the information I have on both of them.

I'm just trying to be honest and rational guys. No way can we compare anyone we have, RIGHT NOW, with the top two kids ORU got, no way.
                  I appreciate your honesty and love discussing BB with you... however I tend to disagree with that last part
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

And for the record, if you think a school like Iowa, Minny, Creighton etc backed off of a kid like Fiegen or White b/c they verbaled to SDSU then you're off your rocker...
                    I think you might be underestimating the politics of the summer recruiting trail.

Not saying Chad or Tony would have gotten looks from these schools if they hadn't verballed. But would a coach at Iowa (2 schoolers players in the last 10 years) want to risk a relationship with the Schoolers for 1 recruit? Would the coach at UofM (1 schooler player, with a new outlook on local recruiting than predecessors) risk his relationship?

Here's the scenario:

Tony Fiegen verbals to SDSU. Late in the recruiting process Tony grabs their attention and the UofM comes in with fancy suits. Tony starts to second guess his decision, so he calls up Paul Seville. Paul calls Tubby, "hey, I appreciate your interest in one of my guys. However, I've sent 8 of my players in the last 10 years to this school. As a personal favor from me, could you lay off? I've got a kid coming down the pipe who you are going to be very interested in, and if you can do this for me I'll make sure you get some face time."

If Tubby disregards and continues to push Tony hard, he runs the risk of turning off Mr. Seville and ruining any chance of landing a top SD recruit in the future. Basically, all Mr. Seville would have to do is say to any potential recruit, "Yeah, Minnesota is in the Big 10, but I've had personal dealings with their coach. He talks a good game, but can be a bit of a jerk. Listen, I've got 30 DI coaches on speed dial. Let me make some calls, I'm pretty sure you could get in at Iowa, Creighton, or maybe even USC. Have you seen the girls out there?" (Not saying he would do that, but he certainly could)

Now, why would UofM pursuing a committed Schooler's player upset Mr. Seville? Because the Schoolers have had 8 players on a basketball roster at SDSU since 2000 (my count, I could be off). Do you suppose that the Schoolers want to maintain that relationship?

Under this scenario, Tony would virtually have to be a lock for all-american before any DI coach would push hard for him, much less a coach from a "local" school that wants to cultivate relationships in the area.

If you are the head coach of a Major DI, why run the risk of p!ssing off the most influential recruiting related person for a whole state for 1 recruit--no matter how good they are? This is why the coaching staff is doing the right thing in signing kids early.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Hey, I'm not saying the kid is a 5-star player. We're in the Summit, we're debating our recruiting class versus the ORU kids and you bring up UNC, Duke and WF, three of the top 15 programs in the nation? That's like praising Callahan for dropping 30 on ORU at the Arena and then have someone come back and compare Callahan to Kobe.

UNC-Asheville and UNC-Wilmington are a joke and I would play at ORU anyday before there. ECU is a mess right now. And we don't know what these schools did and didn't do. ORU has an opening for a PG and they have a fairly well known coach in Sutton. "Come start from day one on a team that could quite possibly win the conference every year you're here and play in the Big Dance....."

Hnnnhhh? Eastern Carolina and UNC-Wilmington had losing records but they play the big boys and both beat Virginia Commonwealth, a team that won 24 games and beat the Jacks by 16 and took UCLA to the wire in the tournament.
                      UNCW had a down year, but "mess?" It's still a pretty well regarded program for fans who remember that UNCW was in the Big Dance in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2006.
                      UNC-Asheville was down last year but it was also in the NCAA tournament in 2003 and 2006; it won 23 games and tied for the Big South in 2008, and ended up in the NIT.
                      So the chance to go to the Big Dance through close-to-home mid majors was there. Just questioining why there was no apparent big pursuit from the NC schools, mid-major or top 15 or whatever.
                      Good thing is this can get settled on the court, ORU recruits vs. White, Fiegen, Carlson, etc. I'll take our guys.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        For what it's worth your posts have been informative. I appreciate it. Rep pts.

Second this; Fargo Bison brings nuggets and insight from outside JackNation that are relevant to this board and often prompt a second, or third, look at an issue. Already repped FB.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have spoke about anyone else program seeing where we're at.

UNCW was 3-15 in conference last year and 7-25 overall. UNC-Ash was a few games under .500. ECU was something like 13-17.

I can't say whether or not they pursued McClintock. There could me a million stories as to why or why not etc, but I never saw anything negative about the kid. Kentucky appeared real serious when he was coming out of HS. Who knows.

I'm real excited about our class and couldn't believe we landed Wolters. I love the way our future is shaping out and think in 2-3 years we could be real good. I just try to be as honest as I can and not crown our guys the best at everything simply b/c they're "our guys".

Comment

I think you might be underestimating the politics of the summer recruiting trail.

Not saying Chad or Tony would have gotten looks from these schools if they hadn't verballed. But would a coach at Iowa (2 schoolers players in the last 10 years) want to risk a relationship with the Schoolers for 1 recruit? Would the coach at UofM (1 schooler player, with a new outlook on local recruiting than predecessors) risk his relationship?

Here's the scenario:

Tony Fiegen verbals to SDSU. Late in the recruiting process Tony grabs their attention and the UofM comes in with fancy suits. Tony starts to second guess his decision, so he calls up Paul Seville. Paul calls Tubby, "hey, I appreciate your interest in one of my guys. However, I've sent 8 of my players in the last 10 years to this school. As a personal favor from me, could you lay off? I've got a kid coming down the pipe who you are going to be very interested in, and if you can do this for me I'll make sure you get some face time."

If Tubby disregards and continues to push Tony hard, he runs the risk of turning off Mr. Seville and ruining any chance of landing a top SD recruit in the future. Basically, all Mr. Seville would have to do is say to any potential recruit, "Yeah, Minnesota is in the Big 10, but I've had personal dealings with their coach. He talks a good game, but can be a bit of a jerk. Listen, I've got 30 DI coaches on speed dial. Let me make some calls, I'm pretty sure you could get in at Iowa, Creighton, or maybe even USC. Have you seen the girls out there?" (Not saying he would do that, but he certainly could)

Now, why would UofM pursuing a committed Schooler's player upset Mr. Seville? Because the Schoolers have had 8 players on a basketball roster at SDSU since 2000 (my count, I could be off). Do you suppose that the Schoolers want to maintain that relationship?

Under this scenario, Tony would virtually have to be a lock for all-american before any DI coach would push hard for him, much less a coach from a "local" school that wants to cultivate relationships in the area.

If you are the head coach of a Major DI, why run the risk of p!ssing off the most influential recruiting related person for a whole state for 1 recruit--no matter how good they are? This is why the coaching staff is doing the right thing in signing kids early.
                            This could be spot on and I don't doubt that this sort of thing happens. I know that a college coaches relationship w/ area coaches is a very important thing, especially at a place like say Cretin Derham Hall or Rockhurst down in Missouri or Southlake Carrol in Texas.

Did this happen? I don't know. Are the Schoolers really that involved in a kids recruitment? I just think if any of our kids were ever on the radar of a Minny, Creighton, UNI etc that we would have heard something. I don't think verballing as a soph to a school such as SDSU is a big deterrent if Tubby thinks Chad can really help his program. I think you hit it though when you insinuated that these kids wouldn't be All Americans at a school like Minny....and that's why they probably never had much interest.

We'll take 'em though!

Comment

This could be spot on and I don't doubt that this sort of thing happens. I know that a college coaches relationship w/ area coaches is a very important thing, especially at a place like say Cretin Derham Hall or Rockhurst down in Missouri or Southlake Carrol in Texas.

Did this happen? I don't know. Are the Schoolers really that involved in a kids recruitment? I just think if any of our kids were ever on the radar of a Minny, Creighton, UNI etc that we would have heard something. I don't think verballing as a soph to a school such as SDSU is a big deterrent if Tubby thinks Chad can really help his program. I think you hit it though when you insinuated that these kids wouldn't be All Americans at a school like Minny....and that's why they probably never had much interest.

We'll take 'em though!
                              The thing about a verbal is a coach isn't going to go out of his way if he is a boarder line recruit for them..... Now if they would of blew up and became top 10 type of recruits yeah, but Minnesota isn't going to come to Madison SD to watch an open gym, if they think he is a boarder line recruit.....

Comment

ORU fans are all wacky about their juco's. im not too worried about them. their new point guard recruit is ridiculous crazy good!

Comment

Working...
                                X