Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Little fish in big pond if its held in Minneapolis. The conference has tried that at other venues and it doesn't seem like it ever worked very well. New attendance records were set last year in Sioux Falls so I have a tough time believing that you could add another 30-40% attendance on top of that by holding it in Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      Little fish in big pond if its held in Minneapolis. The conference has tried that at other venues and it doesn't seem like it ever worked very well. New attendance records were set last year in Sioux Falls so I have a tough time believing that you could add another 30-40% attendance on top of that by holding it in Minneapolis.
      Not to mention that NDSU/SDSU/USD aren't all a lock to get into the tournament, and I don't think the Bison faithful travel quite so well if they don't have a team like last years. How many Bison fans would travel with 3 day hotel reservations to watch a 7 seed that will likely bounce in the first round?

The tournament in SF drew a lot of casual fans last year, and a lot of SDSU "fans" who haven't been to an SDSU game since they graduated college that probably wouldn't make the trip to Minny. I ran into several I knew at halftime in the hallways.

I don't think you draw those casual fans in Minneapolis, Tulsa, Kansas City, etc. There is just too much to do other than the event, and you'll never create the kind of buzz a smaller city can generate due to the event being under a microscope in the local media.

Now, if we could only figure out a way to gather a few fans from the other schools in the conference.

There will be more of a USD contingent this spring, with a lot more the next year.

I see ORU bringing a lot more fans (maybe 1000-1500) up this spring, especially after getting smacked in the mouth in the first round with our "home court" advantage last year.

Oakland and Western Illinois should also get decent turnout (around 500) in years where there teams are competitive.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The combination of corporate sponsorship, the evolution of the SUmmit into the NCC "Phoenix", and having 6 of this conference's team within a day's drive will make this a toughy to get out of Sioux Falls.

Continue to pack it for the sessions, and the attendance will be enough to keep it in Sioux Falls.

It's in Sioux Falls for the next 3 years minimum, and then USD (and likely UND) are members, and possibility decreases even more.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Not to mention that NDSU/SDSU/USD aren't all a lock to get into the tournament, and I don't think the Bison faithful travel quite so well if they don't have a team like last years. How many Bison fans would travel with 3 day hotel reservations to watch a 7 seed that will likely bounce in the first round?

The tournament in SF drew a lot of casual fans last year, and a lot of SDSU "fans" who haven't been to an SDSU game since they graduated college that probably wouldn't make the trip to Minny. I ran into several I knew at halftime in the hallways.

I don't think you draw those casual fans in Minneapolis, Tulsa, Kansas City, etc. There is just too much to do other than the event, and you'll never create the kind of buzz a smaller city can generate due to the event being under a microscope in the local media.

Now, if we could only figure out a way to gather a few fans from the other schools in the conference.

There will be more of a USD contingent this spring, with a lot more the next year.

I see ORU bringing a lot more fans (maybe 1000-1500) up this spring, especially after getting smacked in the mouth in the first round with our "home court" advantage last year.

Oakland and Western Illinois should also get decent turnout (around 500) in years where there teams are competitive.
          We have about 15,000 alumni in the Twin Cities, UND has about the same. What is your point about travel, and it isn't like going to Minneapolis from Fargo is some big deal. I'd love to see Minneapolis give it a try...in many ways it could be the best place to put it annually. I know other schools would enjoy easier travel.

If you think Sioux Falls is going to host this year after year, you are wrong. SF is just too close to USD and SDSU, plus it isn't easy to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            If you think Sioux Falls is going to host this year after year, you are wrong. SF is just too close to USD and SDSU, plus it isn't easy to get to.
            Alot of it has to do with the Bids the Summit League receives, and if the SF Sports Authority has any say in it they will keep coming up with the high bids.

Comment

In your best Gene Wilder voice:

It's Alive! It's Alive!

-------

Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."
              Igor: You're putting me on.
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
              Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No...”Frederick."
              Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."
              Igor: I see.
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
              [He pronounces it ee-gor]
              Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."
              Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."
              Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

We have about 15,000 alumni in the Twin Cities, UND has about the same. What is your point about travel, and it isn't like going to Minneapolis from Fargo is some big deal. I'd love to see Minneapolis give it a try...in many ways it could be the best place to put it annually. I know other schools would enjoy easier travel.

How many of those 15K alumni do you expect to show up if/when years roll around that the Bison/Sioux either aren't in the tournament or lose in the first round? How many will go to semi finals games and finals games when a team from North Dakota isn't in them? Not meant as smack, an honest question. I don't know about other fans, but it isn't my dream to watch a NCAA tournament qualifying game in an empty 15000 seat arena.

I guess I like our chances of drawing a crowd, regardless of who's playing, if the games are held in smaller cities, and IMO Sioux Falls happens to be the best suited small city in the Summit's footprint--centrally located, decent airport, interstate intersection, hotels, restuarants, etc.

I would suppose that Minneapolis to Fargo is an easy drive. Interstate all the way. Brookings or Vermillion is a bit of a pain in the butt to get to Minneapolis.

I know it isn't exactly easy to fly into Sioux Falls. Someone else mentioned that 6 of the 10 teams in the future Summit will be within a relatively easy 1 day drive.

At the end of the day, it will come down to money, and if Minneapolis, Fargo, Tulsa, Kansas City, or any other town in America wants to host, they will have to put up a better bid. If no other city does, Sioux Falls WILL host the tournament year after year.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It is hard to say until it happens. But my guess is that attendance from other schools would increase, Minneapolis is just easier/cheaper to get to with all the flight connections.

I think as long as Minneapolis isn't hosting another conference tournament it would be a unique event.

That said, they have to put something together and who knows if they ever will. I know Fargo is going to make a run at the next opportunity to make a bid and with the Fargodome behind the bid it will be a strong one.

Comment

It is hard to say until it happens. But my guess is that attendance from other schools would increase, Minneapolis is just easier/cheaper to get to with all the flight connections.

I think as long as Minneapolis isn't hosting another conference tournament it would be a unique event.

That said, they have to put something together and who knows if they ever will. I know Fargo is going to make a run at the next opportunity to make a bid and with the Fargodome behind the bid it will be a strong one.
                    Minneapolis would be a disaster. Might benefit you personally, but I'm confident it will never happen. No entity in Minneapolis would be willing to take the financial gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Minneapolis would be a disaster. Might benefit you personally, but I'm confident it will never happen. No entity in Minneapolis would be willing to take the financial gamble.
                      A disaster? I don't know if I would go that far, I think it would be a hit but I don't see who would organize it. It would probably take NDSU and UND working together....

Comment

Put me down as in the "disaster" column for MSP hosting an SL BB tournament.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

A disaster? I don't know if I would go that far, I think it would be a hit but I don't see who would organize it. It would probably take NDSU and UND working together....
                          NDSU and UND working together... Riiiiiigghhhtt.

Comment

NDSU and UND working together?

To organize a tournament that's 3-1/2 hours from one school and 2-1/2 from the other?

----

Twin Cities is just not going to happen. No press coverage, empty barn (10k at the Target Center would mean empty seats everywhere), and a less lucrative sponsorship package.

Assuming that the Target Center was even proposed. I'd expect something second tier like the facility down in Tulsa.

Comment

It is unlikely but if the Summit balks at Fargo for whatever reason the two might just do it. There are a lot of alumni in the Twin Cities, probably close to 30k when you combine the two.

I don't know why the Summit would balk at Fargo, but I do know our AD was happy we didn't have the tourney this year considering we had a huge blizzard. It would have been a disaster to say the least and no bid amount would have overcome that lasting memory.

Comment

It is unlikely but if the Summit balks at Fargo for whatever reason the two might just do it. There are a lot of alumni in the Twin Cities, probably close to 30k when you combine the two.

I don't know why the Summit would balk at Fargo, but I do know our AD was happy we didn't have the tourney this year considering we had a huge blizzard. It would have been a disaster to say the least and no bid amount would have overcome that lasting memory.
                                There is only one real reason the Summit would balk at Fargo: money. Facilities could be an issue, I don't know what it's like watching basketball in the FFD. If Fargo puts in a better bid than Sioux Falls, they get the tournament, simple as that.

The Summit is not a rich enough or high profile enough conference to host their tournament just anywhere. They need the revenue, and as long as Sioux Falls provides the most revenue, the tournament will be here. Be it for the next 3 years or 30, as long as Sioux Falls puts together the best financial package for the Summit, it will be here.

Comment

Working...
                                X