Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zooropa
    replied
    Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

We've had this discussion before. Frankly, I don't see how an extra penny sales tax issue would pass locally, even if approved by the state.

Part of me thinks that Sioux Falls is moving too early on this. There is so much confusion on what should be done and how it should be paid for that, arguably, it's not ready for prime time yet.

Leave a comment:

• 1stRowFANatic
    replied

Well it appears that the first committee to hear the bill to allow the local sales tax option for capital expenditures voted it down. Hopefully this is not the last we have heard of the bill. No way a new event center gets done with out, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    I went to our game at Municipal last year. Its like stepping back into the 1950s when you enter that place..

THAT's why it was such a low-scoring game. No 3-point shot, jump ball after every basket, no shot clock, high knee socks, etc., etc.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks#1Fan
    replied

Interesting discourse, but mostly this thread is a time-killer for viewers. Nothing said or predicted here means anything, and certainly, as pointed out earlier, not until a couple of years down the road. Will Fargo have their new facility? Will Sioux Falls have a new facility? Will the rest of the league get restive with a Dakota setting for x-years for the tournament? Will pigs fly? Who really knows?

But as a final aside, if one needs a constructive (if biased) comment on this subject...anybody that thinks a football dome makes a great place to watch basketball, has to live in Fargo or Vermillion and be VERY partisan. There is no comparison to a basketball facility (old, worn, tired, or new, shiny) where fans feel they are at a basketball tournament, not an outdoor (albeit a roof overhead) concert, where sound and fury is lost into the night. Been there...done that! Adios amigos.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Actually UMKC is playing some of their games in an on-campus crackerbox that seats not too much more than 1,000--I think it's the Swinney Activities Center or some such name, off the top of my head. UMKC plays most of their games in KC's Municipal Auditorium downtown, that facility seats around 10,000.
    I went to our game at Municipal last year. Its like stepping back into the 1950s when you enter that place. I don't think KC hasn't updated it since it was built, but why would they I guess when they have two other arenas and one is a new state of the art facility.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Actually UMKC is playing some of their games in an on-campus crackerbox that seats not too much more than 1,000--I think it's the Swinney Activities Center or some such name, off the top of my head. UMKC plays most of their games in KC's Municipal Auditorium downtown, that facility seats around 10,000.

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I don't know all the Summit venues well enough to be sure.
    From Wikipedia more or less:

IPFW 13,000 @ Allen War Memorial Coliseum, 2,800 @ Hilliard Gates Sports Center
    IUPUI 2,200 @ some gym on campus*
    NDSU 6,000 @ BSA
    Oakland 4,000 @ the O'rena**
    Oral Bob 10,500 @ the Mabee Center (bigger than the facility used for the Summit tournament--UMC?)
    SDSU 6,500 @ Frost listed (closer to 7k, IIRC)
    SUU 5,300 @ Centrum Arena
    WIU 5,100 @ WM Court
    UMKC -- no on campus facilities***

* Play some games at Conseco: 18,300
    ** Play some games at nearby Palace of Auburn Hills: 22,000
    *** Play some games at Kemper Arena: 19,500

Leave a comment:

• Hammersmith
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Would you love to watch it at the BSA? Because that's what will happen if you can host on a team's home court and Fargo wins the bid.
    ???

If Fargo would win the bid, the tourney would be in the Fargodome or the Fargodome arena if the latter were built. There is no way NDSU would choose to put it in the BSA with the FD as an option. Just because a rule change might allow a school to host the tourney on their home court doesn't mean the school would be forced to have it there if they preferred another location in town. What a rule change might do is give schools without another adaquate facility in their city a chance to bid on the tourney. That, and it would allow ORU to have the tourney at Mabee. ORU might have the only on-campus facility big and nice enough to hold the tourney*. I don't know all the Summit venues well enough to be sure.

*yes, Frost would be right on the line - a little bit small, though

Leave a comment:

• tjbison
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    NDSU operates a nice hotel 300 yards away from the dome(Candlewood Suites), there is also a Hilton(Homewood Suites) across the street which is just as nice. So while no hotels are attached they are two easily within walking distance that would be suitable.

Your arguing with a wall man, just give in and let it go, we all know there is no better place on the planet to watch a BBall game than the SF arena with its world class hotels attached

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    How about getting rid of the stupid rule that says you cant host on campus. Lets face it, Sioux Falls is a home court advantage for SDSU and will be for USD. Same is true in Tulsa, it wasnt held on the ORU campus but just down the road a short distance. They should put the tournament in the arena where ever they get the best bid package from. Ild love to go up to Fargo for the tournament. If they put together a better bid they should get it.
    Would you love to watch it at the BSA? Because that's what will happen if you can host on a team's home court and Fargo wins the bid.

Leave a comment:

• HoboD
    replied

How about getting rid of the stupid rule that says you cant host on campus. Lets face it, Sioux Falls is a home court advantage for SDSU and will be for USD. Same is true in Tulsa, it wasnt held on the ORU campus but just down the road a short distance. They should put the tournament in the arena where ever they get the best bid package from. Ild love to go up to Fargo for the tournament. If they put together a better bid they should get it.

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

NDSU operates a nice hotel 300 yards away from the dome(Candlewood Suites), there is also a Hilton(Homewood Suites) across the street which is just as nice. So while no hotels are attached they are two easily within walking distance that would be suitable.

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    SF's current arena is not better than the dome
    Debatable. Onsite hotel & excellent basketball sightlines (well except at the ends of the court thanks to the hockey remodeling), awful seats and marginal locker rooms vs. quality locker rooms & prefunction space, okay seats, bad sightlines/awkward contrived layout, and no nearby Class A accommodations.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

I have to ask...why are we discussing this when we know the Summit League BB tournament is going to be in Sioux Falls for the next 3 years!?!

It will be around 2 years before this is even looked at again by the Summit League. Lots of things can change between now and then.

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

I don't know how it puts Fargo it a disadvantage when the plan was always to host it at the Fargodome. SF's current arena is not better than the dome, maybe you will get a new arena and things will be different. But as of now there is no disadvantage.

Honestly if it created one, NDSU probably wouldn't care because the school would get its shiny new basketball arena.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X