Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Why in the world would they take the tournament to a dump like Sioux City which has no connection to the tournament and virtually no air service?

I couldn't agree more. The only advantage Sioux City has is a newer facility and that's not worth what Sioux Falls has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Another nice option Sioux City could provide would be playing out the whole tournament for places 1-8 with the smaller facility right next door.

This would give out of area fans a better reason to come watch their team, they could book hotels for 5 nights and know they were going to get to watch 3 games. In the current format, they book hotels and "hope" their team makes the finals or rush into town at the last minute (which doesn't work too well when there is a blizzard between Sioux Falls and Fargo).

Don't know if there are any NCAA rules against playing the tourneys out, and the Sioux City facility could be tough to get this time of year with the NAIA tournament locked in down there.
      Senseless to play out all eight places. Teams are banged up this time of year and if their not going to the big dance why play it out. Go home when you lose is the only way to have these tourneys. Hotels jack(no pun intended) their rates out of site for any big event anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
        Senseless to play out all eight places. Teams are banged up this time of year and if their not going to the big dance why play it out. Go home when you lose is the only way to have these tourneys. Hotels jack(no pun intended) their rates out of site for any big event anyway.
        I agree. I think the state HS BB touneys should do the same. Nothing like playing for 7th place at noon on Saturday before an empty gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
          I agree. I think the state HS BB touneys should do the same. Nothing like playing for 7th place at noon on Saturday before an empty gym.
          Michigan Boys play at different locations then play the semis at the same site, four classes ABCD, two semis each class, loser goes home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
            There seem to be only two states who follow this format. SD and ND. I this format goes back to the old days when there 300 or more B schools, and it was a struggle to get to the B tourney and they maybe felt bad for the losers in the first round so they decide to play the consolation bracket and assure each team got 3 games no matter what. Times have changed and with women's bb adding three more tourneys, they need to change. It should be one and done without a question. Nebraska with 7 classes boys and girls plays it that way.

Comment

I think the state should go to a super regional or something like that and then bring in four teams in each class to one location and play the one and done format. Then it could be televised for all classes.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Why in the world would they take the tournament to a dump like Sioux City which has no connection to the tournament and virtually no air service?
                Back to the topic of the thread. I don't think SC is a very appealing location for a tourney. SF did a great job and would be nice to be there for 3 more years. I know then it has to move to give other schools a chance for a closer location. I haven't been in the Tyson Center, but other than the newer building, SC doesn't have much more to offer.

Comment

When USD joins the conference, would Omaha take a shot at it with them having the Qwest Center. It's only about 2 hours from Vermillion.

I've never been in that facility (been by it a few times) so I dunno what it can offer. I know it seats over 17,000 for basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat_01 View Post
                    When USD joins the conference, would Omaha take a shot at it with them having the Qwest Center. It's only about 2 hours from Vermillion.

I've never been in that facility (been by it a few times) so I dunno what it can offer. I know it seats over 17,000 for basketball.
                    No.

More likely that the new Independence Event Center (new 6,000 seat hockey arena in Independence, MO just outside Kansas City) would bid on the Summit League.

(I go by the place about weekly, it's at the intersection of I-70 and I-470 in the eastern KC metro area.)

There's nothing in Omaha to either draw Omaha to the Summit League, or the Summit League to Omaha.

Plus, the facility's too big for the league.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      No.

More likely that the new Independence Event Center (new 6,000 seat hockey arena in Independence, MO just outside Kansas City) would bid on the Summit League.

(I go by the place about weekly, it's at the intersection of I-70 and I-470 in the eastern KC metro area.)

There's nothing in Omaha to either draw Omaha to the Summit League, or the Summit League to Omaha.

Plus, the facility's too big for the league.
                      where is the NAIA DI tournament at in Kansas City? I think Kansas City could be the best option of the future but I also think that UMKC athletics have to improve a bit before they bid on it...... I think if USD bid it, it would be either Sioux City or Sioux Falls...

Peoria could work, (don't know why they'd bid it) its home of Catapillar, has a 7,200 seat arena...

Moline IL (Quad Cities).. also could work, home of John Deere.... had the tournament from 96-99.....

The problems with Peoria and Moline is who in Illinois cares about WIU in March? they either care about the Cubs, White Sox or the Illini.....

Comment

Just to try and simplify, here is my .02....

In a conference like the Summit, you are going to draw 90% fans of Summit schools. Let's face it, the Summit doesn't have much nationwide interest, if any. Also, fans of low to mid-major teams just don't travel much at all. Oakland brought what, 250, and that was the most of anyone save for Fargo, who is three hours north. Therefore, it has to be in a general area of not only a Summit school, but schoolS.

You also have to look at competetion from the surrounding area. KC seems like a nice idea, but they always host regional NCAA Tournament games and are in Big XII country, so you're only going to draw Summit fans and there is one school in a 4 hour radius. Same goes for Tulsa. SUU and Centenary are not even in the question.

Play it in Sioux Falls, Fargo or somewhere in the general vicinity of the Michigan, Illinois, Indiana schools. They are all somewhat close to each other and KC and even close enough for the Dakota schools to charter busses for the tourney.

SF for the next two years. Then let a heartland school do it, then Fargo. If Fargo isn't ready, send it back to SF for another couple years. I think SF and Fargo are the only two where I think it wouldn't get stale, even if you played it there every year. Let's be honest, SF is the ideal place for it.

Comment

We're being too nice about this. Sioux Falls ponied up the money and drew the fans. If somebody else can top Sioux Falls' bid, then they deserve the tourney, but don't expect turnout like Sioux Falls got. As several others have said, fairness has nothing to do with it.

The Summit League can't afford to "spread it around" for the sake of spreading it around. Go where the money is. My money is on Sioux Falls for the next bid. And the next. And the next.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            We're being too nice about this. Sioux Falls ponied up the money and drew the fans. If somebody else can top Sioux Falls' bid, then they deserve the tourney, but don't expect turnout like Sioux Falls got. As several others have said, fairness has nothing to do with it.

The Summit League can't afford to "spread it around" for the sake of spreading it around. Go where the money is. My money is on Sioux Falls for the next bid. And the next. And the next.
                            I agree. Basically as long as Sanford Health, First Premier, and the Sioux Falls Sports Authority want to put up the money to keep it here, it will stay here.

Comment

I think as long as those sponsors step up and the attendence continues to flourish it will stay in Sioux Falls. I also think a new arena will eventually happen and that could give it a long run in South Dakota.

Comment

I was volunteering my time up in the VIP section (tough job, but somebody had to do it) and most, if not all, all of the administrators were really impressed with the tournament, the crowds, and the hospitality Sioux Falls offered during the long weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X