Summit League Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Tourney

The announcer at the SF Arena should make sure and reiterate to the crowd they should stand and place their hand over their heart and sing along, if so choose, the national anthem and not a variation thereof and stay silent until the colors leave the court. If I happen to have a seat next to a Bison fan who screams out "home of the Bison", god help me to not punch them in the face.

Maybe the NCAA should make a little speech about disrespecting the national anthem since they are so hell-bent on these schools with Native American names being disrespectful. I would guess there are more people in this country more offended by schools screaming out their mascot name at the end of the nation's song than a school using a Native American name as their mascot.

Off the soapbox I go. It just came to me last night as I was listening to the national anthem on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      The announcer at the SF Arena should make sure and reiterate to the crowd they should stand and place their hand over their heart and sing along, if so choose, the national anthem and not a variation thereof and stay silent until the colors leave the court. If I happen to have a seat next to a Bison fan who screams out "home of the Bison", god help me to not punch them in the face.

Maybe the NCAA should make a little speech about disrespecting the national anthem since they are so hell-bent on these schools with Native American names being disrespectful. I would guess there are more people in this country more offended by schools screaming out their mascot name at the end of the nation's song than a school using a Native American name as their mascot.

Off the soapbox I go. It just came to me last night as I was listening to the national anthem on the radio.
      Hope I sit by you then . I do know that many schools do this (not saying it's right) and NDSU students have been doing it for decades (again, not saying it's right). I stand at attention because that is what I learned in basic training but I do not think that students mean it as any sign of disrespect because if they did they would be doing worse things then that during the National Anthem. They even remove their hats unlike a certain SDSU fan I saw. If the Native Americans do not want their names used by the universities (Sioux) then I think they shouldn't use them. If they don't care neither should the NCAA. If you really do care that much I bet there is some sort of contact for the NCAA you can harass about it.

Comment

SECTION E will be yelling home of the "BISON!!!!"

so punch away.

Alcohol will be served, regardless

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
          I do not think that students mean it as any sign of disrespect because if they did they would be doing worse things then that during the National Anthem.
          If they are doing it, then it is a sign of disrespect.

Comment

Hope I sit by you then . I do know that many schools do this (not saying it's right) and NDSU students have been doing it for decades (again, not saying it's right). I stand at attention because that is what I learned in basic training but I do not think that students mean it as any sign of disrespect because if they did they would be doing worse things then that during the National Anthem. They even remove their hats unlike a certain SDSU fan I saw. If the Native Americans do not want their names used by the universities (Sioux) then I think they shouldn't use them. If they don't care neither should the NCAA. If you really do care that much I bet there is some sort of contact for the NCAA you can harass about it.
            Thank you to whoever negative repped me saying "Home of the bison is disrespectful......many people have died to give us our rights......LOSER." If you did not read my post i bolded the part that your laziness missed. Understand I very well know the sacrifices my brothers and sisters in arms have made. I very well know the sacrifices my family have made for the our rights. I even know of the sacrifices I have made for YOUR rights. Those rights also include saying Home of the Bison. Like I said before you get your fans to take off their hats and we will get the students to stop saying home of the bison. Won't happen either way,

Comment

Like I said before you get your fans to take off their hats and we will get the students to stop saying home of the bison. Won't happen either way,
              Give it up....comparing one fan who you say you saw wearing their hat during the anthem to an arena or stadium full of fans disrespecting the end of the song is just dumb.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Thank you to whoever negative repped me saying "Home of the bison is disrespectful......many people have died to give us our rights......LOSER." If you did not read my post i bolded the part that your laziness missed. Understand I very well know the sacrifices my brothers and sisters in arms have made. I very well know the sacrifices my family have made for the our rights. I even know of the sacrifices I have made for YOUR rights. Those rights also include saying Home of the Bison. Like I said before you get your fans to take off their hats and we will get the students to stop saying home of the bison. Won't happen either way,
                Yes, a fan or two not taking their hats off is the same as 19,000 people inside the Fargodome yelling "home of the BIZON!!!"

But you're right, it's not going to change and I'll continue to get red faced and furious every time I hear it. But I bet if you asked whomever was wearing their hat to respectfully remove it, they would.

Comment

I now have an extra two all-session lower-level season tickets (best that could be obtained on opening day of sales in Sioux Falls). They are in Section U, Row 6, Seats 12-13. Will sell at face value to Jackrabbit fan(s). PM me (forget it Bison followers).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                    Yes, a fan or two not taking their hats off is the same as 19,000 people inside the Fargodome yelling "home of the BIZON!!!"

Not sure what all this talk has to do with a certain tournament and was looking to stay out of this pi$$ing match, but couldn't let this post go.

I take great exception to this allegation that 19,000 people yell "home of the Bison" at the tail end of the National Anthem every game at the FFD. This characterization is unfair and made me puke a little bit in my mouth when I saw it. It is a small minority of fans that do it, and it pretty much centers on the student section.*

*if more of you would actually come to Marker games, you might know this

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post

But you're right, it's not going to change and I'll continue to get red faced and furious every time I hear it. But I bet if you asked whomever was wearing their hat to respectfully remove it, they would.
                      Usually it is only the 4,000 students yelling Bison at the end of the games at the Fargodome but I realize that isn't the point. I do not think the SDSU fans have to worry about hearing it at the Summit League Tourney, at least not from 4,000 students because it is not our spring break, and tickets are a little pricey for students. And you are correct that students yelling Bison at the end won't change, unless a fine is involved and/or the administration talks to us. I know the AD talked to us about the #2 chant but that wil not and shouldn't happen.

Talking about disrespecting:
                      On a lighter note, I did not know it was a $25,000 for throwing a dead rabbit onto the court (glad that didn't happen) couple guys were joking about the fine if that happened against us.

Even lighter note, heard both uxds have their own tournament to play at and want to congratulate both of them for getting into the semi-finals. Yes I do realize there are only 4 teams playing.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post

*if more of you would actually come to Marker games, you might know this
                        I was in Fargo this year, and, I gotta tell you, it was an great experience (except for the previously mentioned phrase and a couple bison fans).

Comment

Usually it is only the 4,000 students yelling Bison at the end of the games at the Fargodome but I realize that isn't the point. I do not think the SDSU fans have to worry about hearing it at the Summit League Tourney, at least not from 4,000 students because it is not our spring break, and tickets are a little pricey for students. And you are correct that students yelling Bison at the end won't change, unless a fine is involved and/or the administration talks to us. I know the AD talked to us about the #2 chant but that wil not and shouldn't happen.

Talking about disrespecting:
                          On a lighter note, I did not know it was a $25,000 for throwing a dead rabbit onto the court (glad that didn't happen) couple guys were joking about the fine if that happened against us.

Even lighter note, heard both uxds have their own tournament to play at and want to congratulate both of them for getting into the semi-finals. Yes I do realize there are only 4 teams playing.
                          #2 chant?? Please elaborate

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            #2 chant?? Please elaborate
                            2 is a....fagg%$$t

I hated that chant, and my friends and I made sure that the people around us who did it knew how much we didn't like it. It took 5 years to kill that chant but thankfully it's dead now.

As for a the Bison thing, it is really only the students and it basically only happens before big games. Go to a UND game and at least 3/4 of the arena is doing it before every game.

Comment

My apologies for the punch thing. That was over the top, but it does make my blood boil. I respect your stance to not join the crowd in their chant, I'm sure the basic training helped in your decision.

I do challenge any fan, not just NDSU fans (godforbid there are UND people on here), to look in the mirror and convince yourself it is positive thing to yell out whatever at that point in the anthem.

Comment

Probably Lakes gave it to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X