Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71f...-summit-league

Comment

The frustrating thing to me is that so many teams are looking to flee to a "better conference" without having the self-realization to acknowledge that the reason the conference that they are in isn't a 'better conference" is because they are in it. How about some of these schools actually get good at sports and make the existing conference better rather than flee to another conference and drag it down too?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        The frustrating thing to me is that so many teams are looking to flee to a "better conference" without having the self-realization to acknowledge that the reason the conference that they are in isn't a 'better conference" is because they are in it. How about some of these schools actually get good at sports and make the existing conference better rather than flee to another conference and drag it down too?
        I fully agree. I’m not a fan of these metro-state non-football schools and I really wish we had a league of all football members.

I think it’s also frustrating that so much of the conference realignment discussion comes down to schools thinking they aren’t with their peers (and in many cases maybe they aren’t). We think that we belong in the same pond as Wyoming or Utah State (and across many metrics, we do), but those schools think they are above us and belong on a plane with the Big 12. We don’t want to take a D-2 move up for the same reason. Which is why I think the only way to truly align with peer schools is to base it off of geography, culture, academic mission, endowment, athletics budget, etc and to have someone force new subdivisions through.

I think if you had an objective “commissioner” type figure analyze all facets of every school in division 1, you would see three or four new subdivisions created. There will be the small private and pioneer type teams that do not invest in football at all. There will be a chunk of FCS publics and maybe even a few G5 schools that are small markets and poorly funded. There will be a group of FCS land grants and larger schools lumped in with many G5 programs. There will be the remaining current Power 5 that isn’t the SEC or Big 10, and then there will be the SEC and Big 10. Right now, all five of those hypothetical best-fit subdivisions call themselves D1.

Comment

Well in listening to a couple of podcasts recently, I have heard from two different reporters that Summit League will be absorbing the NCHC hockey conference or at least that is the rumor. Since the Summit League already has 3 members from NCHC and Fenton was the Commissioner of the NCHC it does make sense. I believe this will help the Summit stay in compliance with having a minimum number of men's sports.

I know St. Thomas just started D-1 hockey and is still in transition, but when their program improves I could see them being added to the NCHC/Summit Hockey. I could also see this as adding stability to the Summit. Let's just say Omaha wanted to leave the Summit and go the the MVC, the Summit could have some leverage in kicking them out of NCHC/Summit Hockey if they wanted to leave. Hockey is a big money sport and you want to play at the highest level conference you can and keep rivalries to raise attendance.

It could also attract someone like Lindenwood who also has a new D-1 Hockey program and an OVC football program. They are a private school in St. Louis and private schools like being associated with conferences with large markets so they can increase their enrollment from urban populations. If we ended up adding Lindenwood, then the Summit would have Denver, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa, Omaha, St. Louis for markets. I know Fenton has mentioned they are working on a new media deal and having large markets, even if they are not the primary university in those markets, will help in getting a better media deal.

Well if the Summit was going to do something I think it will be before June 1st, so we will see what they do next.

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

The WIU people were letting the news out early about hockey during their exit. It was also the first time I had heard confirmation of a $1 million exit fee for leaving without adequate notice which would have cut the fee to $500,000. OVC is a better fit for the Leathernecks in regards to travel, budget, and level of competition. It will be surprising to see their programs dominate any sports in the OVC. They have a difficult time hiring good coaches for the budget. Hopefully Fenton is on top of the expansion and he has some activity for additions. June 1 may be a bit optimistic, but I agree that the hockey piece is imminent.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Hockey is one way for Augie to get into the Summit League I suppose.

Comment

Perhaps a crazy idea here. Okay, drop the perhaps. Try to entice the Texas cluster of the WAC to join the Summit. (UT Arlington doesn't fit the demographics and is probably likely to be moving up to G5 in search of eventual P5). It would solidify baseball and probably other sports. It would bring in enough football teams for the Summit to take over the football conference. It would probably result in a northern and southern divisions.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  Perhaps a crazy idea here. Okay, drop the perhaps. Try to entice the Texas cluster of the WAC to join the Summit. (UT Arlington doesn't fit the demographics and is probably likely to be moving up to G5 in search of eventual P5). It would solidify baseball and probably other sports. It would bring in enough football teams for the Summit to take over the football conference. It would probably result in a northern and southern divisions.
                  Texas Arlington doesn’t even have a football team as of right now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

Texas Arlington doesn’t even have a football team as of right now, right?
                    You are correct of course. I shouldn't have mentioned P5. I didn’t even bother to look that up, assuming the enrollment numbers and the location in the DFW metro area. I assumed those demographics will have them seeking a better than WAC Conference for other sports, especially basketball and baseball. I was actually considering the location, enrollment numbers, and sports offerings of schools such as Tarleton State.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

In fact. Never mind my comments. I wasn't considering proper conference memberships for all sports

Comment

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...scenarios-2023

Comment

Behind a paywall, care to summarize?
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

Behind a paywall, care to summarize?
                            Summary: Big 12 and/or Pac 12 should go monster and introduce relegation and promotion.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Summary: Big 12 and/or Pac 12 should go monster and introduce relegation and promotion.
                              With SDSU and NDSU in Tier 2 of potentially 36-team "Big 12" or a 91-team FB/190-team BB "Pac-12"

Comment

Working...
                              X