Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Illinois to OVC

https://twitter.com/ovcsports/status...0Esj2VpA1ZEXdQ

Also leaving MVFC in 2024. Leaves the Summit League with 9 teams again, 11 in MVFC.

Press release from the Summit League.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The Summit League received Western Illinois’ official request to withdraw as a League member Friday, May 12, 2023, and do so prior to the 2023-24 academic year. The effective withdrawal date is June 30, 2023.

“Despite today’s news, the Summit League’s foundation is strong. Our focus remains on being a leading Division I conference with a resolute commitment to broad-based competitive success, high academic achievement, and preparing future leaders,” said Commissioner Josh Fenton. “The League and its member institutions are aligned and will continue working on bold strategies to further strengthen the membership and enhance the experiences for our student-athletes.”

Comment

Northern Colorado would probably be my preferred choice to be the replacement. Would give Denver a travel partner, a former conference foe, and would also be accepted by MVFC

Comment

Mixed feelings since it was the closest Summit school, but damn, that was a depressing place.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
          Northern Colorado would probably be my preferred choice to be the replacement. Would give Denver a travel partner, a former conference foe, and would also be accepted by MVFC
          I respect your preference. In the interest of managing expectations, however, it's hard to see Northern Colorado leaving the Big Sky without significant financial incentives. I doubt those road trips to Grand Forks and Fargo will help recruiting. And putting their football team in the MVFC meat grinder wouldn't be prudent.

Seems the conference's likely choice is between staying at nine members and adding Augustana.

Comment

I'd take a hard run at these institutions attempting to convince them to join the Summit League (in approximate order of preference)
            University of Central Missouri
            Northern Colorado
            Northwest Missouri State University
            University of Colorado-Colorado Springs
            Minnesota State Mankato and/or St. Cloud State (yeah, U of M would probably block this in a heartbeat but you never really know...)

(and honestly, I'd invite Northern State far before I'd even consider Augustana)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Why not Augustana?

Comment

Originally posted by perryc View Post
                Why not Augustana?
                Primarily: A third D-1 in South Dakota? Really? Secondarily and almost as important: their enrollment would be either the smallest or the second smallest in D-1. That alone, along with the fractioning of their market with USD and SDSU, make them a very, very marginal D-1 school. St. Thomas they are not.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Primarily: A third D-1 in South Dakota? Really? Secondarily and almost as important: their enrollment would be either the smallest or the second smallest in D-1. That alone, along with the fractioning of their market with USD and SDSU, make them a very, very marginal D-1 school. St. Thomas they are not.
                  I had a conversation a couple years ago with President Dunn about Augustana. He was not and I don't think ever will be in favor of adding Augustana to the Summit League. His reasons are exactly what you mention. I can't imagine a USD president that would be in favor of it either.

Comment

Why not Augustana?
                    Hard pass.

Comment

I respect your preference. In the interest of managing expectations, however, it's hard to see Northern Colorado leaving the Big Sky without significant financial incentives. I doubt those road trips to Grand Forks and Fargo will help recruiting. And putting their football team in the MVFC meat grinder wouldn't be prudent.

Seems the conference's likely choice is between staying at nine members and adding Augustana.
                      You mean as opposed to their trips to Portland or Cheney? And I think most members of the Big Sky feel their conference was better than the MVFC (granted the WIU move made us stronger by subtraction). I’m on board with UNC, but I can already hear the complaints from Youngstown, ISUr, etc if they are added.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                        Mixed feelings since it was the closest Summit school, but damn, that was a depressing place.
                        Will miss JD Gravina. Good coach and good person. He didn't like the tournament in Sioux Falls, but he was one of the few non-Dakota coaches who understood why it needed to be there. Publicly at least.

Comment

I'm for adding someone, not for getting whittled down so far no one will want to come in. Pro pro-active instead of continually re-active seems the better choice for my way of thinking. I like the idea of new blood so to speak, it adds the element of intrigue for the fans into the mixture, I kind of like that, but I also realize that can wear off in time too. The Summit was getting too predictable and somewhat dull, adding St Thomas helped some.in that regard . It's hard to climb up the ladder, staying put nets you nothing, and climbing down is unacceptable, you can't go up if you don't try. JMO for what it's worth. There's got to be a good candidate out there somewhere, it's up to our leaderships to find them and bring them in. Douple did a good job and got us St Thomas, I'll give him credit for that, next man up Commish and Presidents of member institutions to vote Nay or Yea. Interesting to see how good their negotiating skills are ,who they might come up with , and how long the search will take.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-12-2023, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I'd take a hard run at these institutions attempting to convince them to join the Summit League (in approximate order of preference)
                            University of Central Missouri
                            Northern Colorado
                            Northwest Missouri State University
                            University of Colorado-Colorado Springs
                            Minnesota State Mankato and/or St. Cloud State (yeah, U of M would probably block this in a heartbeat but you never really know...)

(and honestly, I'd invite Northern State far before I'd even consider Augustana)
                            No way its MSU or SCSU. Neither school has institutional, community or regional support except for hockey, and these are fine hanging their hat on being DI hockey only. SCSU is only a few years removed from dropping football and facilities are poor. MSU has a great arena, poor football facilities and no local interest and no support for athletics capital projects.

Minnesota Duluth world be intriguing but I doubt there is any interest in Duluth and there again, facility issues.

It's two bad Black Hills State or mines aren't larger institutions or in a position to jump up.

Comment

BH or Mines, seriously? Northern, my lord! There is a realignment going on in college athletics. The Power 5 will, sooner or later, walk away and form their own league in FB and in men's BB and in women's BB. They may shed a few lower P5 programs and pull up a few upper G5 programs. The end result will be a combining of the Group of 5 programs and the upper FCS. SDSU is in a good position to be that combination performance wise, lesser position geographically. Still, this realignment will not bring BH, Mines, Northern, Augie, MSU, SCSU along for that ride.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                              X