Mid-Con Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mid-Con Tourney

I gotta say that a Mid Con tourney in SF would be cool. I think a good crowd would attend, especially if SDSU is putting a good product on the floor.

That being said, the SF Arena doesn't hold a candle to Frost Arena. I have attended a couple Skyforce games, and have really come to appreciate the atmosphere at Frost (even with lower attendance). The video displays, the cowbells, the fans, the whole atmosphere is better at Frost. Some of that will transfer to the Arena with the Jacks in town, but SDSU has done a more than fantastic job developing atmosphere at Frost, all things considered.

Frost is the best place in the State of South Dakota to watch a basketball game. Period.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The SF Arena is really showing its age.

That arena in Tulsa where the Mid-Con currently is playing its championship is a nice place. Seats under 6,000, but all seats are chair-back, and it looks well set up for basketball.

And, it's a HIGH SCHOOL facility. It's the 21st century equivalent of the Huron Arena or the SF Arena. It's a pretty little arena.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        The SF Arena is really showing its age.

That arena in Tulsa where the Mid-Con currently is playing its championship is a nice place.  Seats under 6,000, but all seats are chair-back, and it looks well set up for basketball.

And, it's a HIGH SCHOOL facility.  It's the 21st century equivalent of the Huron Arena or the SF Arena.  It's a pretty little arena.
        When we played Manhattan down there, I thought the same thing. I had always kind of held the Arena up as the "big place" to play in South Dakota. It is really run down. Frost Arena has always been a great court. If you talk to any former players from visiting teams, they loved to play here but all agree it is a tough place to win. It will be again!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

MID-CON CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TONIGHT!

#1 Oral Roberts vs. #2 Oakland.  No surprises there, should be a good game as the teams split their meetings this year. My money is on Oral Roberts though.  Jacks fans can watch the game and thank their lucky stars that Ken Tutt, Caleb Green, and Vova Severovas are seniors this year.
          Especially Caleb Green, I think he won Mid-Con player of the year three years in a row.
          ESPN 6 PM (not sure if thats central or not)

Comment

[quote author=SF_Rabbit_Fan link=1172416939/30#30 date=1173150639]I gotta say that a Mid Con tourney in SF would be cool.  I think a good crowd would attend, especially if SDSU is putting a good product on the floor.

That being said, the SF Arena doesn't hold a candle to Frost Arena.  I have attended a couple Skyforce games, and have really come to appreciate the atmosphere at Frost (even with lower attendance).  The video displays, the cowbells, the fans, the whole atmosphere is better at Frost.  Some of that will transfer to the Arena with the Jacks in town, but SDSU has done a more than fantastic job developing atmosphere at Frost, all things considered.

Frost is the best place in the State of South Dakota to watch a basketball game.  Period.[/quote]

I've actually talked to people here in SF that have no SDSU ties that went to Frost for the first time for the State AA girls basketball tournament, I believe it was last year.  All of them say there is NO place in the state of SD they would rather watch a basketball game.
            I really hope Frost continues to recieve state basketball tournaments, girls and boys...AA, A, B.  It does nothing but enhance people's view and perception of SDSU athletics who might not be supporters already!!
            And...a great recruiting tool for future Mid-Con success!  There...I got my post back on track.
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I started attending the Frost the year it opened and have gone to games there since. Living in the heart of USD country, not many from Yankton go to the Frost. However, last year when the AA Girls was in Brookings, we took a van load of friends to the games. They had never been in there before and liked it so well, they went back with us the next night even though we lost. Without a doubt, it is the best place and friendly place to watch any level of BB. Now, back to the topic at hand, I think it would be difficult to get the Mid-Con to come to Brookings even though it is a great venue. Seating and accomodations might direct it to SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
                I started attending the Frost the year it opened and have gone to games there since. Living in the heart of USD country, not many from Yankton go to the Frost. However, last year when the AA Girls was in Brookings, we took a van load of friends to the games. They had never been in there before and liked it so well, they went back with us the next night even though we lost. Without a doubt, it is the best place and friendly place to watch any level of BB. Now, back to the topic at hand, I think it would be difficult to get the Mid-Con to come to Brookings even though it is a great venue. Seating and accomodations might direct it to SF.

By rule Frost Arena can not host the Mid-Con Tourney.

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Nope it is put up for bids in advance.

From the Fargo Forum (Sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157758

Fargodome could host tourney

Kevin Schnepf, The Forum
                Published Sunday, February 25, 2007

By the time North Dakota State’s men’s basketball team becomes eligible for postseason play, the Mid-Continent Conference tournament could still be played in Tulsa, Okla.

“It will be difficult for an entity to win that bid away from Tulsa,” said Ed Grom, associate commissioner of the Mid-Con. “But we haven’t seen what the new schools have to offer yet.”

NDSU and South Dakota State will join the Mid-Con next season and become eligible to play in the postseason tournament for the 2008-09 season.

The two schools will also be eligible to make bids to host the tournament that automatically sends the champion to the NCAA tournament.

“Down the road, we’ll definitely look at putting in a bid,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said.

The bidding process has one stipulation: The tournament must be held on a neutral court.

If NDSU hosted, the tournament would be held at the Fargodome – not the Bison Sports Arena where NDSU plays its home games. If South Dakota State hosted, the tournament would be held 50 miles from Brookings in the Sioux Falls Arena.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4585

No. 3-Seed Oral Roberts Claims Mid-Con Championship and Automatic Bid to NCAA Tournament

TULSA, Okla. – With the 2007 Women’s Mid-Continent Conference Championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament on the line, third-seeded Oral Roberts knocked off No. 1-seed Oakland 72-55 in the title game this afternoon behind 18 points from tournament MVP Elisha Turek and all-tournament team honoree Rachel Watman, who was one point shy of a career high.

Turek was named MVP of the tournament after posting her 18th double-double of the season with 18 points and 12 rebounds. The senior posted double-doubles in all three tournament games and averaged 14.3 points, 12.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Game is starting on ESPN

Comment

[quote author=Jack4Life link=1172416939/30#35 date=1173213120]I started attending the Frost the year it opened and have gone to games there since. Living in the heart of USD country, not many from Yankton go to the Frost. However, last year when the AA Girls was in Brookings, we took a van load of friends to the games. They had never been in there before and liked it so well, they went back with us the next night even though we lost. Without a doubt, it is the best place and friendly place to watch any level of BB. Now, back to the topic at hand, I think it would be difficult to get the Mid-Con to come to Brookings even though it is a great venue. Seating and accomodations might direct it to SF.

By rule Frost Arena can not host the Mid-Con Tourney.

Nope it is put up for bids in advance.

From the Fargo Forum (Sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157758

Fargodome could host tourney

Kevin Schnepf, The Forum
                      Published Sunday, February 25, 2007

By the time North Dakota State’s men’s basketball team becomes eligible for postseason play, the Mid-Continent Conference tournament could still be played in Tulsa, Okla.

“It will be difficult for an entity to win that bid away from Tulsa,” said Ed Grom, associate commissioner of the Mid-Con. “But we haven’t seen what the new schools have to offer yet.”

NDSU and South Dakota State will join the Mid-Con next season and become eligible to play in the postseason tournament for the 2008-09 season.

The two schools will also be eligible to make bids to host the tournament that automatically sends the champion to the NCAA tournament.

“Down the road, we’ll definitely look at putting in a bid,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said.

The bidding process has one stipulation: The tournament must be held on a neutral court.

If NDSU hosted, the tournament would be held at the Fargodome – not the Bison Sports Arena where NDSU plays its home games. If South Dakota State hosted, the tournament would be held 50 miles from Brookings in the Sioux Falls Arena. . . . (read more)

Go State!

[/quote]

If last nights game was played on a neutral court, I'd hate to see what an Oral Roberts home game looks like. ;D

Can't wait for conference play next year!
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I must say that was a very fun game to watch.

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4586

Oral Roberts Claims Second-Straight Championship

TULSA, Okla. – In the culmination of four outstanding days of basketball, Oral Roberts outlasted Oakland, 71-67, Tuesday night in the title game of the 2007 Mid-Continent Conference Championship, earning the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Ken Tutt hit a runner with 33 seconds left and tournament MVP Caleb Green’s game-high 28 points proved to be too much for the Golden Grizzlies.

Green connected on 11-of-19 shots including 3-of-5 three-pointers, passing UMKC’s Michael Watson as the Mid-Con’s all-time leading scorer with 2,490 points. Green’s three treys marked a career high as the senior had hit only three shots from behind the arc all season heading into Tuesday’s championship game. He also finished with a game-high nine rebounds.

Tutt scored 20 points for the Golden Eagles and finished the game with 2,000 points on his career. With the milestone, Tutt and Green became the first set of teammates in Mid-Con history to both reach that plateau and just the seventh set of teammates in NCAA Division I history. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                        X