• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JacksRiseUp
    replied
    https://twitter.com/mikejmccleary/st...-S9AH-U5PEFCHw
    Maddie Krull to Nebraska
    Last edited by JacksRiseUp; 04-24-2022, 08:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
    Krull officially commits to Nebraska. Going to take some time for USD to find their identity moving forward.
    Other than Larkins, not sure who is going to put the ball in the basket. They had three bigs who got backup minutes behind Sjerven, and none of them showed the ability to score.

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    Krull officially commits to Nebraska. Going to take some time for USD to find their identity moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Yotes fans saying Krull is making other visits, possibly including Nebraska.
    She graduated from Millard South, 43 minutes from the Lincoln campus.

Leave a comment:

• Jackrabbit2012
    replied
    Originally posted by Southeast View Post

That new coach is definitely going to work some magic, both on the court and in short-term recruiting. It had to be frustrating seeing a player of Dru’s caliber want to come back to SD before they had her hire finalized.
    I have no idea where her finance lives, or what her major is, but from strictly a basketball standpoint this fit made to much sense. SDSU was coming off a championship with the only glaring hole being the position she played. Unless she grew up a huge USD fan, I would think she would want to use her last year to be a part of a team with high aspirations rather than a rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied
    Originally posted by JacksRiseUp View Post
    Also the post player that came from Oklahoma is no longer listed on roster at USD. The have 12 players right now with Krull still listed and both Freshman recruits listed.
    That new coach is definitely going to work some magic, both on the court and in short-term recruiting. It had to be frustrating seeing a player of Dru’s caliber want to come back to SD before they had her hire finalized.

Leave a comment:

• JacksRiseUp
    replied
    Also the post player that came from Oklahoma is no longer listed on roster at USD. The have 12 players right now with Krull still listed and both Freshman recruits listed.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
    Kyah Watson officially going to WVU. Krull still in the transfer portal and reportedly visited there. Ouch.
    Yotes fans saying Krull is making other visits, possibly including Nebraska.

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    Kyah Watson officially going to WVU. Krull still in the transfer portal and reportedly visited there. Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    In general I would hope the portal transfers will become less in a year or two. I think you can transfer once without sitting out a year. Then if you transfer again you have to sit out a year. You can still transfer if you have graduated and want to transfer as a grad student without sitting out a year. So these transfers today will have to sit a year if they want to transfer again. Hopefully that adds some stability in rosters in the future. Hard to say.

I think we are in a good shape on transfers because we have a lot of local kids. As an example if you recruit a kid from Aberdeen, they are less inclined to transfer to Florida. But if you recruit a kid from Florida, they have a higher chance of transferring out. Not to bash on USD, but they don't have a lot of local kids on the Men's BB team. They have a lot of overseas kids and they really have no loyalty or family in the area so they can transfer to a better situation without any remorse. Take Kalen Garry for example. SDSU is his dream school, so I hear. He may be a walk-on and may not get a lot of minutes early in his career, but he will be here for 5 years and work to earn minutes and will get minutes toward the end of his career. But he adds stability to a program and you know he will be good for the program. Once you have stability then you can have a few players from outside the area, because they come in and see players that have been here for years and not leave. If they build a bond with their teammates and the teammates stay, then they are more likely to stay also.

The other aspect of the transfer is stability in coaching. We have been really good about keeping our coaches for long tenures, All or most of our coaches are from this area or nearby and they want to live near family. Of course money may trump all of that, but if the coaching staff is stable, then the team has a better chance of being stable. You can also build a fan base better if there is stability on a team. I want to cheer for the same kids year in and year out. I was listening to the wrestling podcast a few months ago and they asked Hahn if the Minnesota job opened up would he take it? Now maybe he was trying to be politically correct here, but he said no, that he has boys that love riding bikes around town and he feels safe with the neighborhoods and that he could not do that in Minneapolis so he would stay here. He feels he can build a top program here and does not need to leave to accomplish that. I feel that most of our coaches are in the same boat.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but this is just my opinion and I think it all starts at the top with Justin Sell and he has created a great environment for the entire athletic department.

Go Jacks!!!
    Working out of the extra year of COVID eligibility should help as well. Having players around for a fifth season of eligibility reduces playing time for younger players, which can result in discontent and looking for what may be better opportunities for playing time.

Leave a comment:

• NorCalJack
    replied
    In general I would hope the portal transfers will become less in a year or two. I think you can transfer once without sitting out a year. Then if you transfer again you have to sit out a year. You can still transfer if you have graduated and want to transfer as a grad student without sitting out a year. So these transfers today will have to sit a year if they want to transfer again. Hopefully that adds some stability in rosters in the future. Hard to say.

I think we are in a good shape on transfers because we have a lot of local kids. As an example if you recruit a kid from Aberdeen, they are less inclined to transfer to Florida. But if you recruit a kid from Florida, they have a higher chance of transferring out. Not to bash on USD, but they don't have a lot of local kids on the Men's BB team. They have a lot of overseas kids and they really have no loyalty or family in the area so they can transfer to a better situation without any remorse. Take Kalen Garry for example. SDSU is his dream school, so I hear. He may be a walk-on and may not get a lot of minutes early in his career, but he will be here for 5 years and work to earn minutes and will get minutes toward the end of his career. But he adds stability to a program and you know he will be good for the program. Once you have stability then you can have a few players from outside the area, because they come in and see players that have been here for years and not leave. If they build a bond with their teammates and the teammates stay, then they are more likely to stay also.

The other aspect of the transfer is stability in coaching. We have been really good about keeping our coaches for long tenures, All or most of our coaches are from this area or nearby and they want to live near family. Of course money may trump all of that, but if the coaching staff is stable, then the team has a better chance of being stable. You can also build a fan base better if there is stability on a team. I want to cheer for the same kids year in and year out. I was listening to the wrestling podcast a few months ago and they asked Hahn if the Minnesota job opened up would he take it? Now maybe he was trying to be politically correct here, but he said no, that he has boys that love riding bikes around town and he feels safe with the neighborhoods and that he could not do that in Minneapolis so he would stay here. He feels he can build a top program here and does not need to leave to accomplish that. I feel that most of our coaches are in the same boat.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but this is just my opinion and I think it all starts at the top with Justin Sell and he has created a great environment for the entire athletic department.

Go Jacks!!!

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ezeudu joins perennial mid major power FGCU. Talk about a team that utilizes the portal more to it's advantage than maybe any other team in D1 on the women's side. I'm not sure HC Smesko even bothers to recruit HS players at this point. Of this 16 players listed on their roster this last year 12 were transfers. And they were 30-3. Lots of ways to build a team I guess.

The Moore sisters from ORU have also hit the portal. They currently have retained 1 of the 9 players that player 8+ minutes against us in the SLT. Pretty brutal offseason in Tulsa.

NDSU has also lost 7 players to the portal. Sounds like some internal strife between Jori and the players related to his coaching style. He has some good recruits coming in, but a lot of turmoil in Fargo as well.

Things not looking good for non-SDSU teams this offseason in the Summit. Doesn't look like much hope for this being a 2 bid league in the near future, especially if Watson/Krull jump ship with Coach P to WVU.
    FGCU is a cool campus. It is literally across the street from the beach in Fort Meyers. We went there the first year of D1 and watched the MBB team play there and I thought who wouldn't want to come here. It's a perfect set up for transfers to come in.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied
    I am not sure if SteelSD had 6'3" Katie Scott on the ORU transfer portal. She entered yesterday to join the majority of the squad. Add ORU to a total rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied
    The roster page for Coyote WBB is missing Kyah Watson. Krull is currently among the roster.

https://goyotes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

Leave a comment:

• SteelSD
    replied
    Ezeudu joins perennial mid major power FGCU. Talk about a team that utilizes the portal more to it's advantage than maybe any other team in D1 on the women's side. I'm not sure HC Smesko even bothers to recruit HS players at this point. Of this 16 players listed on their roster this last year 12 were transfers. And they were 30-3. Lots of ways to build a team I guess.

The Moore sisters from ORU have also hit the portal. They currently have retained 1 of the 9 players that player 8+ minutes against us in the SLT. Pretty brutal offseason in Tulsa.

NDSU has also lost 7 players to the portal. Sounds like some internal strife between Jori and the players related to his coaching style. He has some good recruits coming in, but a lot of turmoil in Fargo as well.

Things not looking good for non-SDSU teams this offseason in the Summit. Doesn't look like much hope for this being a 2 bid league in the near future, especially if Watson/Krull jump ship with Coach P to WVU.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 04-19-2022, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X