Summit League Men's BBall Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Men's BBall Attendance

Before Ucks starts looking down his nose at SDSU and the Summit, I would like to make a couple points just for the record. USD's average men's attendance for 2007 was 2,795. SDSU's average men's attendance was 1,850. The difference between those 2 figures is 945. It's not really all that dramatic a difference, especially if you factor in all the difficulties we have experienced in the transition.

14 Division I conferences averaged less in attendance than the Summit. I would say that makes the Summit pretty much an average conference, but it is still better than the NCC.

Every single Division II conference averaged less attendance than the Summit League.

IMO, I think Winona State would finish about 4th or 5th in the Summit when they would have to play DI competition every night, from the start of the season to the end instead of watered down DII, DIII, or NAIA teams night in and night out.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I would have to agree with most of what Juice said about the Summit and attendance. However, I don't know if those attendance numbers work in favor of USD/UND getting an invite. If/when the an invite would be extended, each of the members would determine 1) how they would be affected, and 2) how would the league be affected.

I agree with Jimmie Jack that being against an invite based on spite is foolish, but how would their membership affect Centenary, Southern Utah, etc. I don't see SDSU, NDSU, USD, or UND affecting Centenary's attendance very much at all. Adding another long trip will affect them, especially if other potential members may be more centrally located.

My personal opinion is that a conference is always better adding strong teams, but there are so many variables as league membership and other potential invitees, that speculation as to who is going to get an invite is good for message boards and not much else.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Juice has a reasonable perspective but lets all understand a couple of things, maybe everybody already understands but here it goes.

With the transition things have been rockier for the men than anticipated, to say the least. However, to expect that we would be hosting a conference tourney for a bid in the NCAA championships in men's and women's basketball the first year we are eligible when we made this move would have been laughable!! So, spend all the time and energy you want bemoaning the move to DI and yerning for the days of the old NCC but don't discount what has happened this far. Talk to some other universities in transition and see if they would want to trade places with us. Do you think USD would like to be where we are right now? Damn right they would. Do we want to be where USD is right now? Damn right we don't, been there, done that. If USD joins us in any league I'll be there to support SDSU like I always have. They days of the NCC past are just that for me.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          With the transition things have been rockier for the men than anticipated, to say the least.  However, to expect that we would be hosting a conference tourney for a bid in the NCAA championships in men's and women's basketball the first year we are eligible when we made this move would have been laughable!!  
          I couldn't agree with this statement more. I never would have thought that Sioux Falls would be hosting the conference tourney in SDSU's first year in the conference. That was great news to hear them get that bid.

Comment

I highly doubt that Winona State would have been 2nd place over the last few years in the Mid-Con. We were 3rd-4th over the last few years, and would have smoked a team like that. You can't make claims like that unless you have been to a game. D-1 teams routinely wipe the floor with D-2 in basketball, probably even the lowly SWAC or MAAC.

Comment

Working...
            X