Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Reduced travel costs would be a consideration. Who knows what the fiscal constraints will be post-pandemic, but let's say someone like WIU seeks league exit, does an Augie invite become more palatable?

I guess I'd say I'm ambivalent, but I'll admit the prospect of Jacks "away" games in Sioux Falls appeals to me.
    Agree with this. Have a hard time seeing WIU survive in DI. Illinois had big budget issues before the pandemic, has to be even worse now.

That said, I believe WIU is a founding member. So I don't expect them to get kicked out, but nobody would be sorry to see them go either. Travel to Macomb is atrocious.

I think Augie will be forced to sit on the outside looking in until WIU is forced to drop down from DI, opening up the 10th slot in the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Well they really only provide reduced travel for the 129 schools. The rest of the league doesn’t enjoy extra trips to the Dakotas, and WIU in particular can’t afford any extra expenses at this point. With UND added already I don’t see any way the Denver’s, WIUs, hell even UNO being for a fifth Dakota school. There’s a fair amount of griping I’ve seen from opposing fan bases about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      thumper_76- I think I am missing something here. At the beginning of the post, you are talking about reduced travel. Later you bring up Omaha. If Aguie got in the Summit League wouldn't that be about the 5th (a guess) closest DI university to Omaha? I don't know if Nebraska or Creighton play them in all sports every year so it might be one of the closest for some of the "other" sports.
      Augie would make it an odd number, which might make things more complicated, but travel wouldn't be terrible for several sports if you have Thursday and Saturday games. You fly into one place and take a short bus trip to the next place. Western Illinois has several DI universities that are a short bus ride away but does Denver have enough DI schools that are a bus trip away for volleyball? If they are going to have to fly somewhere to get games anyway, why not fly somewhere and get 2 games?
      Thank you for helping me understand this better.

Comment

• Originally posted by 91jack View Post

thumper_76- I think I am missing something here. At the beginning of the post, you are talking about reduced travel. Later you bring up Omaha. If Aguie got in the Summit League wouldn't that be about the 5th (a guess) closest DI university to Omaha? I don't know if Nebraska or Creighton play them in all sports every year so it might be one of the closest for some of the "other" sports.
        Augie would make it an odd number, which might make things more complicated, but travel wouldn't be terrible for several sports if you have Thursday and Saturday games. You fly into one place and take a short bus trip to the next place. Western Illinois has several DI universities that are a short bus ride away but does Denver have enough DI schools that are a bus trip away for volleyball? If they are going to have to fly somewhere to get games anyway, why not fly somewhere and get 2 games?
        Thank you for helping me understand this better.
        I was about to chime in on this as well. If travel expenses are a concern, one would think Omaha would welcome a school less than a three-hour bus ride away. Sioux Falls would be the second closest location in the Summit League for Omaha, behind only Vermillion. (Kansas City is almost the exact same distance to the south.)

I'm an infrequent poster but a regular reader and enjoy the conversations on this board.

Comment

• Before the most recent Summit Basketball Tourney tipped off, the commissioner indicated in public remarks that there are several schools that would like to get into conference. If a member school leaves, the Summit will have options besides Augie. The long-range goal should be to make the league better and the footprint stronger, not turn the conference into the Dakota Intercollegiate League.
          This space for lease.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

Agree with this. Have a hard time seeing WIU survive in DI. Illinois had big budget issues before the pandemic, has to be even worse now.

That said, I believe WIU is a founding member. So I don't expect them to get kicked out, but nobody would be sorry to see them go either. Travel to Macomb is atrocious.

I think Augie will be forced to sit on the outside looking in until WIU is forced to drop down from DI, opening up the 10th slot in the conference.
            I'm with you on it being unlikely WIU would be booted. The more likely scenario is that their fiscal circumstances require them to reclassify as DII.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Before the most recent Summit Basketball Tourney tipped off, the commissioner indicated in public remarks that there are several schools that would like to get into conference. If a member school leaves, the Summit will have options besides Augie. The long-range goal should be to make the league better and the footprint stronger, not turn the conference into the Dakota Intercollegiate League.
              You'd have to expect him to say that the league is strong/in-demand. If nothing else, it's a strategy to entice prospective members to "sweeten their deals."

Given the budget forecasts projecting severe revenue losses and ever decreasing state aid to colleges/universities, one can argue that increased conference regionalization does "strengthen the footprint" by considerably decreasing travel expenses.

As for making the league "better," can we really argue that WIU is much "better" than Augie in anything other than enrollment?

Comment

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

You'd have to expect him to say that the league is strong/in-demand. If nothing else, it's a strategy to entice prospective members to "sweeten their deals."

Given the budget forecasts projecting severe revenue losses and ever decreasing state aid to colleges/universities, one can argue that increased conference regionalization does "strengthen the footprint" by considerably decreasing travel expenses.

As for making the league "better," can we really argue that WIU is much "better" than Augie in anything other than enrollment?
                I keep harping about Augustana being in a 10 year plan and basically just getting started. I have been told by more than one SDSU staff and former staff that Augustana being a private institution has options that a state assisted institution does not have. Augustana has a board of trustees who they have to keep happy, but no BOR or legislature to stand in their way. So let sit back watch. If in 10 years nothing happens at Augustana, we can call the movement to D1 all folly, but I expect the movers and shakers will make something happen. As far as WIU, it does
                NOT look good right now, but that could change to. With trend of undergrads finding that their best opportunity is a job at Walmart, I would not expect any increase in enrollment. Trade schools are starting to gain at the expense of four year college institutions. WIU could end up in D2.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I keep harping about Augustana being in a 10 year plan and basically just getting started. I have been told by more than one SDSU staff and former staff that Augustana being a private institution has options that a state assisted institution does not have. Augustana has a board of trustees who they have to keep happy, but no BOR or legislature to stand in their way. So let sit back watch. If in 10 years nothing happens at Augustana, we can call the movement to D1 all folly, but I expect the movers and shakers will make something happen. As far as WIU, it does look good right now, but that could change to. With trend of undergrads finding that their best opportunity is a job at Walmart, I would not expect any increase in enrollment. Trade schools are starting to gain at the expense of four year college institutions. WIU could end up in D2.
                  Things are not exactly rosy at WIU these days. According to its own website, the Spring 2020 Total FTE was 5,805. By comparison, the Spring 2013 Total FTE was 9,556. WIU also has a smaller endowment than Augie.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD4Life View Post

Things are not exactly rosy at WIU these days. According to its own website, the Spring 2020 Total FTE was 5,805. By comparison, the Spring 2013 Total FTE was 9,556. WIU also has a smaller endowment than Augie.
                    I never said they were rosy. Hell I know about the enrollment problem. So you haven’t said anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I never said they were rosy. Hell I know about the enrollment problem. So you haven’t said anything.
                      I should have highlighted your comment re: "As far as WIU, it does look good right now ... " I don't think things look good at WIU now and haven't for a while. I knew about the enrollment decline but wasn't aware it was that dramatic, and I also was surprised to learn how small their endowment is. That's all.

Comment

• If travel expenses are such a big concern, maybe we shouldn't settle for just getting Augie to join the Summit. SDSU fans and USD fans could unite to recruit USF, too. Then maybe we could go after Southwest Minnesota, Dakota State, Dakota Wesleyan and Morningside.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

• What with everything going on in and around higher education, I am fairly sure that many colleges will have far greater worries than intercollegiate athletics in the next couple of years.

For example: a lot of people were exposed to distance learning in the past few months that would never have otherwise considered it. With distance learning, it's as easy to "attend" a college in NY, Texas or California as it is to attend one via distance learning five miles away. Why distance-learn from Localtown University when you can do it from a college elsewhere with a better national reputation?

I suspect many traditional residential campus colleges and universities will find it impossible to successfully compete in the coming years--smaller state institutions and less-well-known privates are particularly at risk.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Has there been much positivity from Augie alumni and fans for the move ? If I remember correctly, there was a negative billboard put up in Sioux Falls awhile back, and I see a few negative comments on articles, but haven't seen much positive other than from media-types. With a much smaller alumni base, it's going to take a complete buy-in to raise the level of funds that it will take to compete at a higher level.

Comment

• I'm not ready to give up on WIU. The Leathernecks have had a good tradition and while the school is struggling right now, I hope they (actually, the State of Illinois, its legislature and governor) get straightened out, and move forward. I suppose I'm being a little nostalgic: It was a pretty big deal to play Western Illinois in football in the early 70s....just like it was to play Youngstown State. WIU has had a good reputation in certain academic areas. I've made the trip to Macomb for athletic events and while it is a long car trip, it's a pleasant one and you get to see a different part of the midwest..

The year 2020, with all the weird stuff going on including COVID19 and now a heavy does of civil unrest, is not the best year to be facing sharply contracting enrollment and budget woes. But I hope they make it and stay in the league.

I'm glad the Presidents voted down Augie.
                              Last edited by JackJD; 06-01-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD4Life View Post

I should have highlighted your comment re: "As far as WIU, it does look good right now ... " I don't think things look good at WIU now and haven't for a while. I knew about the enrollment decline but wasn't aware it was that dramatic, and I also was surprised to learn how small their endowment is. That's all.
                                Add not to my statement. I screwed up and left out “Not” in my sentence.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 06-01-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X