No announcement yet.

Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right decision and best thing for the state. Now to see if Kelby throws a tantrum like he did when the hospital in Des Moines turned him down.

Comment

• This move actually gives me a lot more faith in the Summit League and its leadership. I wasn't hard for or against the move but didn't really see what they brought to the table that SDSU and USD already had covered. When the Summit League moved to SF though I figured adding Augie is a done deal. A good day for the Summit League! If we ever get in a major pinch for a member Augie will always be there panting and begging to get in like a dog looking at a bone!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

• I could only imagine what Craig and John sports talk would be like if they still had a show. They would blow a gasket and trash every thing summit league. Not if St Thomas doesn't get a NCAA waiver then Augie might not be a bad back up plan. I was like Superbunny I wasn't for or against it but I am not broken up it didn't work out and I wouldn't be ticked if they got in. In college athletics nothing surprises me anymore.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Gaskins has given his take. Paraphrasing: if they keep applying they will eventually get invite. It will be like a sure-fire hall of famers not getting invite on first year ballot.

Comment

• Augie would gain a lot more from the Summit then the Summit gaining from Augie. That's the problem. The only good thing Augie could bring is a little stability and closer travel for some schools. That's not enough and Gaskins and others don't get it. Like I said, nothing surprises me and I wouldn't be surprised one day if Augie gets in, but it has to prove it deserves it and is a good fit. If they could get into the Pioneer for football that would be a good start for Augie.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Adding Augie at any point in the next few years would make the Summit less stable, not more stable. The addition of another Dakota school to the conference would weaken the commitment of other member schools. The commissioner has said there are other schools that would like to get into the league. There's no rush. Add St. Thomas, hunker down, and try to make the league better with existing members.
              This space for lease.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                The Sioux Falls sports media is adding their takes. Good stuff out there.
                Links??
                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

Links??
                  Here's a thread that has commentary from the GBB (Gaskins, David Brown, and Zach Borg)

Comment

• Not surprisingly, the Sioux Falls media still appears to be on the pro-Augie bandwagon. They don't see the big picture.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

• Like was mention above Augie would bring a little stability. Outside of that what does Augie bring to the table? I don't see much. In fact, couldn't you argue that they also be harmful to SDSU and USD negating any positives that Augie would bring? What am I missing? It just appears that Augie fans and Sioux Falls may be for it but little support otherwise. SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Like was mention above Augie would bring a little stability. Outside of that what does Augie bring to the table? I don't see much. In fact, couldn't you argue that they also be harmful to SDSU and USD negating any positives that Augie would bring? What am I missing? It just appears that Augie fans and Sioux Falls may be for it but little support otherwise. SUPERBUNNY
                        Reduced travel costs would be a consideration. Who knows what the fiscal constraints will be post-pandemic, but let's say someone like WIU seeks league exit, does an Augie invite become more palatable?

I guess I'd say I'm ambivalent, but I'll admit the prospect of Jacks "away" games in Sioux Falls appeals to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                          Right decision and best thing for the state. Now to see if Kelby throws a tantrum like he did when the hospital in Des Moines turned him down.
                          It is time to create a Creative Committee to make this dream vision fly. The big money people don’t seem to interested in getting past “The Lutefisk and Lefse image”. Kelby has no time to throw a fit. Where is his creativity when it’s really needed. I just watched a Dakota News blog with Craig Overend. They were saying Augustana would have one of smallest enrollment in all of D1. Also mentioned was the endowment of St Thomas being many times the size of Augustana endowments. The danger in using endowments as measuring stick is that often the endowment and the income generated, are to be used as the donor declares in the supporting documents. The donor can prohibit any use for athletics which suspect happens more often than not.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 05-28-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Reduced travel costs would be a consideration. Who knows what the fiscal constraints will be post-pandemic, but let's say someone like WIU seeks league exit, does an Augie invite become more palatable?

I guess I'd say I'm ambivalent, but I'll admit the prospect of Jacks "away" games in Sioux Falls appeals to me.
                            Well they really only provide reduced travel for the 129 schools. The rest of the league doesn’t enjoy extra trips to the Dakotas, and WIU in particular can’t afford any extra expenses at this point. With UND added already I don’t see any way the Denver’s, WIUs, hell even UNO being for a fifth Dakota school. There’s a fair amount of griping I’ve seen from opposing fan bases about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

• Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Well they really only provide reduced travel for the 129 schools. The rest of the league doesn’t enjoy extra trips to the Dakotas, and WIU in particular can’t afford any extra expenses at this point. With UND added already I don’t see any way the Denver’s, WIUs, hell even UNO being for a fifth Dakota school. There’s a fair amount of griping I’ve seen from opposing fan bases about that.

I like the notion of Augustana following a Creighton pattern. In very distant future an Augustana alternative to law, business and medical schools to offset the currently held monopolies by USD may be a reality. Augustana currently has very good business options and can build on them. I don’t think the rebuff that just occurred is the end of story. Augustana is in a 10 year plan. The dream money needed to make the D1 move may not be there today but who are we to say it won’t be there five years from now. The Summit League will no doubt look different in five years.

Comment

• Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Highly unlikely Denver and Omaha Admins. would prefer expenses for a trip to Macomb over a much less expensive one to Augie.

Fan forums are another matter, of course
                                Last edited by jakejc795; 05-30-2020, 07:31 AM. Reason: Clarified that I was referring to admin. not AGS and other fan forums

Comment

Working...
                                X