Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-17 Road to Sioux Falls SLT

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I don't know if the "best team" in the conference always wins the regular season, maybe the most consistent. This year is a perfect example. USD is the top seed but I think you can make a compelling argument that SDSU is playing the best. An awful first half of the season took us out of the running for a conference championship though. What if NDSU had won the tie-breaker over USD this year? With the way NDSU finished the season would we be comfortable saying they are the best team in the conference right now?

I love the conference tourney and hope they never go to giving the bid to the winner of the conference. I also wouldn't mind the 7-10/8-9 play-in games. Play them on campus sites early in the week.
    Exactly, reward the team who was the best overall, not just whose hot for 3 days or who has home court advantage. not that I am complaining about it. It would be boring with out a conference tourney. It would be more fair though. But most things in life are not fair. I guess, what if UMKC wants back and maybe southern Utah. We have 12 teams. I would think if we got to 12, it would change for sure. But 10 isn't really worth changing it. But I like to idea if it expands have the play in games on a home schools court.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Exactly, reward the team who was the best overall, not just whose hot for 3 days or who has home court advantage. not that I am complaining about it. It would be boring with out a conference tourney. It would be more fair though. But most things in life are not fair. I guess, what if UMKC wants back and maybe southern Utah. We have 12 teams. I would think if we got to 12, it would change for sure. But 10 isn't really worth changing it. But I like to idea if it expands have the play in games on a home schools court.
      You completely missed the point of my post. My point is the regular season conference champion may not be the best team in the league. This year is a perfect example. You could make an argument we are the best team in the conference but our overall record isn't the best because it took us awhile to get going.

The team representing our conference should be the team playing the best at the end of the year because they would give the conference the best chance of winning a game or two in the tourney. Put it this way. Would you rather be the best team on the first day of the season or the last?

Comment

You completely missed the point of my post. My point is the regular season conference champion may not be the best team in the league. This year is a perfect example. You could make an argument we are the best team in the conference but our overall record isn't the best because it took us awhile to get going.

The team representing our conference should be the team playing the best at the end of the year because they would give the conference the best chance of winning a game or two in the tourney. Put it this way. Would you rather be the best team on the first day of the season or the last?
        So your saying the team that has the best record against all the other teams isn't the best team? Interesting. So if western wins it all, they are the best team playing the best at the end, they are going to represent us the best or give us the best chance to win in the tourney? SDSU if we win, is probably in line for a 15 or 16 seed IMHO. Don't really see that doing much good for the conference so we can get lit up in the first round. USD or NDSU would at least get a better seed, since they were much better during the conference and non conference. They would get at least a game with a chance of an upset. We are playing the best right now. Heck, even IPFW might have the most potential to be the "best". I see what your saying, is the hottest team, which I would argue doesn't make them the best.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

So your saying the team that has the best record against all the other teams isn't the best team? Interesting. So if western wins it all, they are the best team playing the best at the end, they are going to represent us the best or give us the best chance to win in the tourney? SDSU if we win, is probably in line for a 15 or 16 seed IMHO. Don't really see that doing much good for the conference so we can get lit up in the first round. USD or NDSU would at least get a better seed, since they were much better during the conference and non conference. They would get at least a game with a chance of an upset. We are playing the best right now. Heck, even IPFW might have the most potential to be the "best". I see what your saying, is the hottest team, which I would argue doesn't make them the best.
          Again. You missed my point. I'll make this even simpler.

SDSU and USD. USD had the better overall season but let's throw the records out the window and look at the two teams. You could make a compelling argument SDSU is a better team at this point in the season. This case obviously wouldn't apply every year and it doesn't apply to every team that isn't USD this year. The tourney gives teams that might take some time to get things together a shot. Without it we would have been eliminated in January.

What if SDSU had gone undefeated in the league and Mike Daum suffered a season ending injury in the final regular season game. Would SDSU still be the best team in the league?

BTW, USD is projected as a 15 seed.

Comment

Again. You missed my point. I'll make this even simpler.

SDSU and USD. USD had the better overall season but let's throw the records out the window and look at the two teams. You could make a compelling argument SDSU is a better team at this point in the season. This case obviously wouldn't apply every year and it doesn't apply to every team that isn't USD this year. The tourney gives teams that might take some time to get things together a shot. Without it we would have been eliminated in January.

What if SDSU had gone undefeated in the league and Mike Daum suffered a season ending injury in the final regular season game. Would SDSU still be the best team in the league?

BTW, USD is projected as a 15 seed.
            SMH. No, I get your point, your missing mine, I wont bother explaining it, seems your having a hard time understanding someone else's point of view.

Plus USD or NDSU would be above a 15 seed, after upsets in other tourneys, they will bump up.

all I know is I'm looking forward to this weekend to spend time with my kids having fun. Hopefully watching SDSU win If they are the hottest team in the tourney would be great, if not, good luck to who ever is.

Comment

I would just like to remind everyone of a certain team in 1983. This team wasn't even expected to win their first game in their conference tournament, much less get a bid to the NCAA Tournament. They proved everyone wrong by winning the conference tournament, then going all the way to the NCAA Championship game to bring down the heavily favored Phi Slama Jama, aka Houston Cougars. The North Carolina State Wolfpack proved they were not only the best team in the ACC, but the country. They got it together at the end of the year and proved they were better than what their record said.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Stu Whitney has a great article on Macy Miller and her road back from the injury in the Argus.

Comment

Isnt that sort of the point. reward the best team? wouldn't that be the regular season champ? Its not nearly as exciting, but if the top couple teams get a better draw im ok with that. Like you said if you want the best team to represent the conference, why not give them a bye, and allow the bottom seeds to beat each other up. Frankly, I am fine with it the way it is, because who knows how membership will change from year to year. And didnt sdsu women get a bye in the tourney one year? memory is a little hazy then, but I don't think it benefited us that much. so maybe its not much help for top seeds.
                  Best team at the end of the year. We can argue about how that's best determined all you want. I will argue very strongly with plenty of evidence to support me that the regular season conference champion is often not the best team in the conference at the end of the year. You will be equally as able to argue that they are. I don't think winning 2 tournament games is good enough. That's how I feel about it.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think you're a little lost in the forest for the trees. It will come to you. Think about how the NCAA tourney field is established and why it has evolved into one of, if not the, most exciting post-season tournament in the world.

What about conferences where you don't play everyone an equal number of times or at all? Why even have a post season? Just give the regular season's best record the title. Or vote on it. Go back to the way NCAA DI football use to do it.

Anyways, I like to see at least a quarterfinal round, win 3 games in the playoffs to get the autobid. If you're clearly good enough you'll get an at-large bid even if you lose. Tourney has been great with 3 rounds.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yote fan here. I like the current setup with all teams required to win 3 games to win the TSL tournament. If the league does get to 10 teams then do the 7-10 vs 8-9 on campus or just limit tourney to 8 teams.
                      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I think you're a little lost in the forest for the trees. It will come to you. Think about how the NCAA tourney field is established and why it has evolved into one of, if not the, most exciting post-season tournament in the world.

What about conferences where you don't play everyone an equal number of times or at all? Why even have a post season? Just give the regular season's best record the title. Or vote on it. Go back to the way NCAA DI football use to do it.

Anyways, I like to see at least a quarterfinal round, win 3 games in the playoffs to get the autobid. If you're clearly good enough you'll get an at-large bid even if you lose. Tourney has been great with 3 rounds.
                        Im not arguing at all. Its more exciting because upsets happen etc. Which may go to the point, which team is best, vs which team is hottest. If SDSU plays the tourney last year in Oklahoma or Colo, do we win all the close games? Were we the best team or the hottest team? If we aren't playing in SF I don't think SDSU plus out so many close victories. Obviously for the summit there will not be a truly neutral site. But I don't think I am wrong, that the best team is the team that does the best against everybody, home and away. USD proved they were for the regular season. The tourney is essentially a 3 game season for all the marbles.

You mentioned others who don't play everyone home and away. Good example, its not really fair, but that doesn't mean the conference tourney makes its fair for everyone either. Western Ill is the hottest and the best team on the womens side, but I think SDSU or USD will be the team that comes out as the tourney champ.

Im not trying to argue, just having a discussion. Frankly I think the NCAA tourney is the best, because of upsets, which I would argue are not teams that are the "best", but whose the hottest at that time.

Comment

SMH. No, I get your point, your missing mine, I wont bother explaining it, seems your having a hard time understanding someone else's point of view.

Plus USD or NDSU would be above a 15 seed, after upsets in other tourneys, they will bump up.

all I know is I'm looking forward to this weekend to spend time with my kids having fun. Hopefully watching SDSU win If they are the hottest team in the tourney would be great, if not, good luck to who ever is.
                          Please explain your point. You responded to my post that referenced an example of a team that just might be the "best" in the conference yet didn't win it with an "Exactly" and then proceeded to say how the regular season champion should be rewarded. I'm not sure I exactly understand your point.

Comment

Please explain your point. You responded to my post that referenced an example of a team that just might be the "best" in the conference yet didn't win it with an "Exactly" and then proceeded to say how the regular season champion should be rewarded. I'm not sure I exactly understand your point.
                            In our league, you play everyone home and away. USD proved they were better then anyone else. they are rewarded with the top seed. We lost a bunch of games early on. Just because we were the hot team the last 2 weeks, doesn't mean we are clearly the best. winning the regular season title is more fair and accurate way to say who was the best team. Like I said to MD, now there is a 3 game season, the hottest team will move on. Its not as exciting for fans, but proving how good you are all season is more accurate. Not sure how you don't understand that.

Comment

In our league, you play everyone home and away. USD proved they were better then anyone else. they are rewarded with the top seed. We lost a bunch of games early on. Just because we were the hot team the last 2 weeks, doesn't mean we are clearly the best. winning the regular season title is more fair and accurate way to say who was the best team. Like I said to MD, now there is a 3 game season, the hottest team will move on. Its not as exciting for fans, but proving how good you are all season is more accurate. Not sure how you don't understand that.
                              You do realize all I did was point out one specific situation (this year) where the conference champion MIGHT not be the best team right? I don't really know which way is better but can think reasonably enough to know that neither is 100% accurate. That's the point I was exactly making.

I know which one I prefer. Is it fair? I don't really care. Win with all your chips in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                                Yote fan here. I like the current setup with all teams required to win 3 games to win the TSL tournament. If the league does get to 10 teams then do the 7-10 vs 8-9 on campus or just limit tourney to 8 teams.
                                I think you meant when we have ten teams since UND is joining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X