Summit League Post-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Post-Season

In conference wins don't impress too many,when they just dismiss the win as coming against a weak team,but have a bad game and lose to that team,and kiss your good seed goodbye if you win the Conference auto-bid. On the other hand,win post season or in the OOC portion of the schedule against a team that's highly respected,then you start to get their attention,and start to garner a little respect of your own.That's pretty much how it goes.

P-5 conferences are pretty much forgiven quite a few of their losses to each other if they are considered top 25,sometimes not even top 25 losses aren't judged too harshly.That's the reality of it in a nutshell.We all pretty much know this.

That said,how many of the nations top recruits does the Summit League draw in? It's a challenge putting together the type of team that can knock off these teams loaded with burger girls/guys and other rating services all-Americans recruited nation wide.That's why coaches that do win under these circumstances are much better coaches in my opinion than are coaches who have all the advantages and none of the pit-falls who win also.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-23-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      WNIT - Looking a Sagarin's computer numbers it appears the Coyotes have winnable games vs. UNI and the survivor of the Saint Louis - WKU game.

That puts them in the final four - USD vs. Ore and Mich vs. Va. That's fast company!
      Still some pretty good mid-majors left. I think USD has a very good shot at the final 4, but I wouldn't count out Florida Gulf Coast or UTEP. Both could be there with USD. Some analysts had FGCU in the NCAA as an at large after they lost in their conference tournament final. Had they won the conference tournament, they were projected as an 11 seed. As for UTEP. We know what it is like to play in El Paso and they will be hard to outbid. One heck of an environment. They are 18-0 at home this year and put 12,000 in the stands when we played them in the final 4 in 2014.

You could very well see 3 mid-majors in the final four of the WNIT. That's pretty cool.

Comment

I looked at UTEP because of the past. I am counting on Ore at -10 taking them down but that does not always work, as we know.

Seems to be a good year for the bracket busters. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I looked at UTEP because of the past. I am counting on Ore at -10 taking them down but that does not always work, as we know.

Seems to be a good year for the bracket busters. It will be fun to see how it plays out.
          I think Oregon/UTEP will depend on where the game is played. There are very few places in this country where you can draw over 10K for a Women's game. El Paso is one. That makes a huge difference. I would really love to see the P5 schools go down. Fill the WNIT Final 4 with mid-majors.

Took a quick peek, Oregon had under 900 for their first round game, just over 1100 for the 2nd round. UTEP are averaging 5,000. If they play that game will be in El Paso.

Comment

EDITED: This post is wrong in that SDSU's run to the WNIT Final Four was in 2014...so if USD makes it, that would be two out of three, not two in a row. JackJD

If USD can win tomorrow and advance to the WNIT final four, that's two years in a row the Summit League advances to the WNIT final four. One would think that recent history will start to register with the committee who makes next year's selection for the NCAA Tourneys. If SDSU and USD have win/loss records next season comparable to their records this season, and if they are the top teams in the conference and they square off for the Summit Tourney Championship, irrespective of which team wins the regular season and which team wins the SL Tourney, BOTH should be in the NCAA Tourney. This year had to cause the committee to at least pause and consider.

USD's website states the game will be carried on TV on Midco and on the computer on ESPN3.

Go Summit League! Uh, go Ed!
            Last edited by JackJD; 03-24-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              If USD can win tomorrow and advance to the WNIT final four, that's two years in a row the Summit League advances to the WNIT final four. One would think that recent history will start to register with the committee who makes next year's selection for the NCAA Tourneys. If SDSU and USD have win/loss records next season comparable to their records this season, and if they are the top teams in the conference and they square off for the Summit Tourney Championship, irrespective of which team wins the regular season and which team wins the SL Tourney, BOTH should be in the NCAA Tourney. This year had to cause the committee to at least pause and consider.

USD's website states the game will be carried on TV on Midco and on the computer on ESPN3.

Go Summit League! Uh, go Ed!
              Who made it to the wnit final four last year?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Who made it to the wnit final four last year?
                UCLA beat West Virginia in the Championship. Michigan was one of the other semi finalist. The other one escapes me, but they were not from the Summit.

Comment

I screwed that up. My prior post was incorrect. I had in mind the Jackrabbits' WNIT Final Four appearance in 2014. So, if USD makes it, it would not be two years in a row for the Summit. It would be two out of the past three years. I still think the Summit League's stature continues to trend upward and the top two programs in the League have provided justification for getting an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney (assuming the top two, SDSU and USD stay at least as good as they now are...USD's loss of seniors after this season is a problem)

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                    UCLA beat West Virginia in the Championship. Michigan was one of the other semi finalist. The other one escapes me, but they were not from the Summit.
                    Looked it up,it was Temple.West Va 66,Temple 58 OT

Comment

watching USD vs UNI in the WNIT.

usd's kate liveringhouse almost pulled a "jim marshall". got a defensive rebound under the basket and went back up to put it in, but, realized what she was doing just in time (although she came down holding the ball for an easy travel call). went to the bench and buried her head in a towel for a bit.

usd just defeated uni 51-50. pretty ugly game. uni probably not too happy with the refs swallowing the whistle most of the night.
                      Last edited by krak-r-jacks; 03-24-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Reported attendance at the UNI v USD game: 2133.

USD announced it will host Sunday at 7:00 PM. I haven't double checked this but I think they play the winner of Western Kentucky and St. Louis.

Comment

It was a horrible shooting night for both teams. UNI shoots 13%(2-15) from 3 pt and the yotes shoot 8%(1-13) from the arc. UNI shot 39.6 % overall and the yotes shot 33% overall. The yotes should have the home game again on Sunday night. 15 offensive rebounds by USD seems to be the difference.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            It was a horrible shooting night for both teams. UNI shoots 13%(2-15) from 3 pt and the yotes shoot 8%(1-13) from the arc. UNI shot 39.6 % overall and the yotes shot 33% overall. The yotes should have the home game again on Sunday night. 15 offensive rebounds by USD seems to be the difference.
                            They only had 2 or 3 in the first half. They really stressed offensive rebounding at halftime

Comment

WNIT Round of 8

Sun - W KY @ USD

Mon - Hofstra @ FGC, Temple @ Mich, *Ore @ UTEP

* Ore is 5 - 5 on the road, UTEP is 16 - 0 at home

Comment

USD 68, WKy 54
                                USD advances to the WNIT Final Four.

Comment

Working...
                                X