Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri Valley possible implosion

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    IMO, by the time the MVC gets around to inviting a Dakota school, our present situation will be as good or better than what the MVC offers. Its crazy talk at this point, but if WSU leaves there could be a decent case made to merge the MVC and Summit.

We could call it the Summit Valley.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
      I think we should split the difference and call it the Plateau Conference.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Mid-con?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

How about Sioux Valley? Ahh shucks too local and we would infringe on the western Brookings Co High School.

Comment

Summlley Confleague

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              I keep seeing mention of our RPI. How much will that drop when we start conference play?
              It shouldn't drop a lot, if at all. There are only 2 teams with a losing non-conference record at this point, which is pretty unprecedented for the Summit. Less bad RPI ju-ju to spread during conference games.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                A selective merger was something I thought of immediately. Cherry-pick the best of both conferences and make one exceptionally tough middle of the country mid-major conference. SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNI, ORU, WIU, ISUr, ISUb, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Bradley, Omaha?
                Talking with Sell at last nites game it doesn't sound like this would be an option. I thought he had some very good points. We have a very strong conference that we are very competitive in and he is looking to grow it. Also we have a very good thing going with the tourney in SF. He also said telling our fan base now you need to travel to Saint Louis or some other location for the tournament would not sit well ( I agreed with him!)

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Talking with Sell at last nites game it doesn't sound like this would be an option. I thought he had some very good points. We have a very strong conference that we are very competitive in and he is looking to grow it. Also we have a very good thing going with the tourney in SF. He also said telling our fan base now you need to travel to Saint Louis or some other location for the tournament would not sit well ( I agreed with him!)
                  Me too. There would have to be a MAJOR conference upgrade in order for me to support any idea that clearly would lead to less Summit Tournaments in Sioux Falls. Just adding a few pretty good mid-major teams does not do much for me if I can't count on spending a few days in Sioux Falls each March.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    Makes sense. But growing the conference certainly could include adding some former Valley members who need a better home after WSU leaves. (UNI definitely fits in the "Sioux Falls" footprint.)
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Makes sense. But growing the conference certainly could include adding some former Valley members who need a better home after WSU leaves. (UNI definitely fits in the "Sioux Falls" footprint.)
                      He did bring this up and what I found interesting and a little funny is that they have talked to other schools about joining but none of them like the idea of basically having to play a home game with SDSU at the tournament! Let's keep the Denny colored BLUE!

Comment

I was thinking UNI and Drake,if they wanted to join the Summit and didn't just view it as a pointless lateral move.Need to add some teams with vision to see what the Summit can become with a few more good members added.Maybe an eastern school for our current eastern members.What would happen for football if the MVFC got all divided up into different conferences though,thats why i see them sticking together and staying put.

Comment

For a different perspective, I would suggest that interested readers visit panthernation. I don't know if anything there is correct or reliable, but it does include perspectives not covered in this thread.

http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=64954
                          Last edited by West-River_Jack; 12-10-2015, 06:20 PM. Reason: fixed link
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

For a different perspective, I would suggest that interested readers visit panthernation. I don't know if anything there is correct or reliable, but it does include perspectives not covered in this thread.

First thing that came to mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Pretty hilarious read. They have no idea what they're talking about. I'm sitting here on campus at WSU right now. This is NOT a "major research university." It is a good university, but not anywhere near the equal of any school in the Big 12. The idea that WSU would add football and join the Big 12 is a total non-starter that NOBODY here is talking about (and BTW: KU and K-State would never, in a million years, allow it.) The only thing that makes sense is the AAC. Anyone who knows anything about this university knows they don't just throw things like that out as trial balloons.

The MVC is also not the colossus that the Panthernation posters seem to think it is. In any given year, there are two very good teams in the Valley and a whole bunch of very mediocre also-rans. After UNI and WSU, would ANY one of the other Valley teams be favored to win the Summit if they were in it? No. The scuttlebutt around here is that WSU wasn't pleased with Loyola as the last addition to the MVC (and lo and behold, Loyola added nothing, including no "Chicago media presence" to the league.) WSU, even with a team that hasn't come together well this year, will win the Valley or perhaps will finish second to UNI but will probably get an at-large bid not because of anybody they played in the conference season, but despite the conference schedule. Why wouldn't they move to the AAC? The Valley, without Creighton, is a shadow of its former self.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Interesting conversation to say the least. It will be interesting to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X