Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Summit MBB

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
    Here's more info about ticket/upper level situation. The more I read quotes from the people in charge, the more skeptical I am about the chance of them opening up the second level. They seem more concerned over what it looks like on TV and perception of it being "full" than they are about allowing everyone that wants to see a game in the building.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...bits/23902255/
    That's definitely true. This line (from the Zimmer article) says it all:

"It's going to take a special matchup," Hall said. "An NDSU/SDSU/USD men or USD/SDSU women, and even if we get one of those games, there's no guarantee. I'd rather turn away 100 people than have 3,000 empty seats."

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      That's definitely true. This line (from the Zimmer article) says it all:

"It's going to take a special matchup," Hall said. "An NDSU/SDSU/USD men or USD/SDSU women, and even if we get one of those games, there's no guarantee. I'd rather turn away 100 people than have 3,000 empty seats."
      My thoughts in a nutshell:

1. The decision on whether or not to open up the upper level should be revenue based. If they can sell enough tickets to make a little money it should be a no-brainer decision. They shouldn't be forced into a losing proposition just to make a few fans happy.

2. If the decision is made based on whether or not "it will look good on tv", that's damn near criminal. The backlash they would receive on social media would be severe and I hope they are smarter than that.

If #2 occurs, I'd be very unhappy if I was a taxpaying citizen of the City of Sioux Falls, for obvious reasons.

Comment

If that does happen, can we call it.... "Curtain Gate" ? I better submit that to the Argus as I'm sure they have probably laid off their headline writer as with the dozens of other employees let go recently

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
          Here's more info about ticket/upper level situation. The more I read quotes from the people in charge, the more skeptical I am about the chance of them opening up the second level. They seem more concerned over what it looks like on TV and perception of it being "full" than they are about allowing everyone that wants to see a game in the building. They better fix the warped panels on the outside if they are SO concerned about showing off the building

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...bits/23902255/
          This is why I decided to buy lower level corner seats, because I wanted to make sure I had a ticket. Although I'm not going to be happy when I look up and there are plenty of people with mid-court second level seats that are much better than mine, and they probably got them the night of the game, whereas I went and stood in line 2 weeks ahead of time to get mine. I get the dilemma of wanting it to look full, but I don't think there would be any issues with filling up the worse lower level seats once the better upper level seats are taken. That is the natural way that two-tiered arenas/stadiums work, the mid-court upper level is going to fill in before the corners and ends on the lower level. As long as you price accordingly, everything will work out fine. I see this as a mismanagement and inexperience issue. Hopefully it is fixed next year.

Comment

Seems like I would think they would want to allow as many people to grow the tourny. Sure the first year in a new event center maybe they dont know what they will get. But it seems strage to complain about the size and limits of the arena, yet we have a place that can fill thounands more then the arena was, but we are going to limit to barely what fit into the arena. i dont know why they cant do a cheap promo where for a few dollars gets you into the upper level or like other said offer tickets to high schoolers and high school teams. or something to help fill the upper level. Maybe I am missing the point but the games will only be on local TV till the finals, so people are going to be watching a rather empty arena for non dakota schools, so it wont be an issue if other schools make the final they probably dont have to worry about attendance, but with saying they arent going to open the upper level, it might keep people who are the walk up buyers to not come since its mostly sold out and not enough seating.

Final thought is I am going to be ticked when there are great seats for games not being used that are corporate or donor seats that they dont use and complain that it doesnt look full and keep from filling those seats or openning the upper level even if its just a couple hundred seats that will be used. Which i would assume it would be more in the thousand range not 100.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

These guys may be clairvoyant. How will they know when there is 100 turned away instead of 300? or 500? Opening day on Saturday with 3 Dakota teams could be a good turnout if weather is pleasant. Over 5000 show up in Brookings for a game like these. It is a head scratcher.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Maybe I am missing the point but the games will only be on local TV till the finals.
                Not true.

Comment

They are on Midcontinent Sports channel aren't they?

Comment

Wouldn't look good if the Argus got video of 1,500-2,000 people lined up and getting turned away for a sold out game later announced with 7,000 in a 11,000 what ever venue. Public outrage anyone? Would that happen, who knows, would they take that chance of that happening, don't know that either. Plenty of time yet to decide how to handle it,yet.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Seems like I would think they would want to allow as many people to grow the tourny. Sure the first year in a new event center maybe they dont know what they will get. But it seems strage to complain about the size and limits of the arena, yet we have a place that can fill thounands more then the arena was, but we are going to limit to barely what fit into the arena. i dont know why they cant do a cheap promo where for a few dollars gets you into the upper level or like other said offer tickets to high schoolers and high school teams. or something to help fill the upper level. Maybe I am missing the point but the games will only be on local TV till the finals, so people are going to be watching a rather empty arena for non dakota schools, so it wont be an issue if other schools make the final they probably dont have to worry about attendance, but with saying they arent going to open the upper level, it might keep people who are the walk up buyers to not come since its mostly sold out and not enough seating.

Final thought is I am going to be ticked when there are great seats for games not being used that are corporate or donor seats that they dont use and complain that it doesnt look full and keep from filling those seats or openning the upper level even if its just a couple hundred seats that will be used. Which i would assume it would be more in the thousand range not 100.
                      I can understand why they wouldn't do a "cheap promo" for upper level seats. I have heard countless people say there isn't a bad seat in the place. If they sell good seats in the upper level at a discount , how will that make everyone feel who ponied up and bought all session passes ? Might make them say "I'll wait next year and get the good deal". I'm all for opening the upper deck if needed , but keep the prices where they should be in comparison to lower level seats.

Comment

My question if I got upper bowl tickets ....." what time's the curtain go up? "

Comment

No one gets past the "Iron curtain"...

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            No one gets past the "Iron curtain"...
                            If IUPUI and IPFW end up in the finals,they're gonna need a bigger curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Not true.
                              Arent they just on midco sports? and espns for the finals?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You are correct, everything up to the Finals are on Midco and finals on ESPN. https://www.midcosn.com/tournaments/summitbb2015/

Comment

Working...
                                X