2015 Summit MBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Summit MBB

Does anyone have insight into why the odd schedules this year with Wednesday, Sunday, and Friday games? Is it due to trying to get more games on TV/ESPN3? Personally, in the past it has been very convenient to get into the rythm of Thursday/Saturday during conference play, or am I mis-remembering that? Seems like weeks where we have Wednesday games the players would miss a ton of class as well? I'm not really complaining, just looking for some thoughtful responses.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I honestly couldn't say without being there, but I have been to USD games within the last couple years that had no more than 500 people in the building and they reported over 1,000. I think it is safe to say that USD reports their season ticket holders regardless of them actually attending, so if the season ticket base was at least excited for the NDSU game the actual numbers could be closer to what was reported.

I know SDSU is one of the few schools that reports actual people rather than paid attendance. I think this is the most honest way to do it, but it can make us look bad or others look better compared to us when it simply isn't true.

I don't want to go into it too much, but one school's paid attendance isn't equal to another school's paid attendance, either. Some just count the actual season ticket holders regardless; Some count students regardless; Some dole out lots of corporate tickets and count them. The fact is, there really isn't a uniform way of doing it and some fudge the books more than others.
      I may be way off base on this, but I believe this policy has been relaxed a bit especially for football attendance. I think our numbers are close to reality, but it seems like we have slightly inflated attendance figures the last few seasons. That could just be my perception.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        Does anyone have insight into why the odd schedules this year with Wednesday, Sunday, and Friday games? Is it due to trying to get more games on TV/ESPN3? Personally, in the past it has been very convenient to get into the rythm of Thursday/Saturday during conference play, or am I mis-remembering that? Seems like weeks where we have Wednesday games the players would miss a ton of class as well? I'm not really complaining, just looking for some thoughtful responses.
        I like this new setup better. More opportunity to watch more games because not everyone is playing at once.

Comment

"First place" coyotes coming to town. Shaking in my boots. Not sure why it annoys me but I dislike using that headline to describe your program 3 weeks into the conference season. USD did the same thing with FB program in 2012. I think it's stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            "First place" coyotes coming to town. Shaking in my boots. Not sure why it annoys me but I dislike using that headline to describe your program 3 weeks into the conference season. USD did the same thing with FB program in 2012. I think it's stupid.
            But gee Doc, they get such few opportunities (oops, I may get wrist-rapped.)

Comment

I may be way off base on this, but I believe this policy has been relaxed a bit especially for football attendance. I think our numbers are close to reality, but it seems like we have slightly inflated attendance figures the last few seasons. That could just be my perception.
              Yeah, I thought there was an article in the last year which mentioned changes to the policy for some reason, maybe to align with what everyone else does? the big thing to determine is look at the BOR report and look at ticket revenue or how ever they break it down. USD was a fraction of what SDSU had reported so regardless of how schools count attendance more people are going and getting season tickets etc at SDSU. Dont recall what the different was last year or maybe that report isnt out yet but one of the years i think it wasnt even close.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                I like this new setup better. More opportunity to watch more games because not everyone is playing at once.
                The one tough thing is getting use to the change. Its hard to remember which game is what night and such. I was getting use to the rotation the last couple years. Just glad they dont do the mirror for mens and womens game except for sdsu and usd on the same day in different towns. thats dumb. I really miss the friday saturday games in the NCC days. double header every night and it was fun back to back and seemed like there was more hype around those confrence games. Probably because I was a student who cared and the student section was good before the ruined the bleachers and moved it all around. Back when it was the old wood bleachers that took us right behind the scorers table were fun student sections. Made it way to easy to heckle the other team and coaches.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Didn't they do that in basketball last year? I believe they started hot and saw a few tweets from USD fans about it. Not much at the end of the season for some reason.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Didn't they do that in basketball last year? I believe they started hot and saw a few tweets from USD fans about it. Not much at the end of the season for some reason.
                    Yep. They won their first 3 SL games,then proceeded to drop the next 4 or 5 and 6 of 7....something like that.

Comment

I can't say for sure if the policy has changed or not, I just know the figures were based strictly on actual attendance when I was working with the athletic department 5 years ago. It wouldn't shock me that they would move towards paid attendance though, because it sounds better when selling advertising and sponsorships. Learfield wasn't in the picture yet when I was there, so maybe they insisted on going that route (complete speculation on my part).

Even if SDSU has gone to paid attendance, I doubt they do more than count season ticket holders who aren't in their seats. Just eye balling it, people in the stands compared to reported attendance hasn't fluctuated enough over the years to rouse my suspicion.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I don't mind it from fans as much as it annoys me when the SID and athletic dept promote it as relevant. USD did the same thing in 2012 when the started 3-1 in the MVFC after they upset UNI in 2 OT's. All you saw was how the new DI team was already in first place and relevant early in the transition. Everyone knows how that season ended.

No doubt I am overly sensitive about it. In my opinion journalists should do a better job of being objective, again, my opinion. Its timely that TV announced his decision today. He's the best of the best at being objective, it's not even close. Some the coyote writers need to take notice (my opinion).

Anyways.....The FIRST PLACE coyotes will be in Frost tomorrow. Let's hope the Jackrabbits kick their ass.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Mavs lead ORU 27-23 at halftime in Tulsa!

Comment

Final - ORU 62 - IPFW 58.

Comment

ORU over IPFW 62-58.

IPFW is 8-10 and 1-4 in the league. They travel to SDSU and NDSU this week.

ORU is 10-8 and 4-1 in the league.

Comment

Home teams win both games today. The only home team to lose this week in the Summit League was the Denver women.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X