Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 College Insider Women's Mid-Major Poll

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    SDSU has developed a reputation as a consistently great mid-major. USD didn't develop their D-I teams with the same "we'll play anybody, anywhere" mentality during their transitional years. Because of the continued success by SDSU, the Jacks WBB has been able to translate the willingness to play anyone, anywhere into we're a great road win, if you can get it, that has led to top programs being willing to make home/home arrangements.

USD started this season down that road to getting top 75 RPI teams onto their schedule. Hopefully, some of those are home/home, especially the midwestern powers like Creighton, Drake, UNI, Minnesota, and other top conference or top mid-majors. Having another 2-3 teams in the Summit who can go .500 in OOC vs teams who were post-season the year before would help launch Summit into becoming a WCC or A-10 WBB power league.

SDSU is there. USD, IUPUI, and at least one other team needs to be consistently in double digit RPI before we'll see two or more teams in the NCAA tourney.

Last year's WNIT run by the Jacks and going 6-1 vs B10, B-East should open doors. Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Kentucky are all testaments to what tough scheduling, and then some wins, will do for a program.
    This is what's really irritating, most Summit teams do nothing OOC. Hate to pick on Denver, but they are the worst at this. Then they get into conference play, and they step it up a notch. We need more Summit teams who play just as hard OOC as they do in the conference season.
    To lose to an IPFW who has no significant wins is a lot worse than losing to an IPFW who has quality wins. Case in point, USD, we win in conference against them, it helps a lot more than RPI nothing team we win against. The losses are much more damaging too.
    Look at the top teams in the WCC, their losses to each other aren't all that bad, or any such conference for example. It's almost as if the losses are forgiven in stronger conferences. Every loss we had in conference this year was a bad loss, except USD maybe. The blame falls squarely on our shoulders, we should not have lost to some of these teams, but that's all hindsight now. We are playing great now.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

So I have an informal poll for you to participate in. What's more important to your fan base....

1.) Winning the conference title outright but not winning the tournament
      OR
      2.) Finishing 2-4th but winning the tournament and moving on to the dance, likely for one game

YFE
      I have said this all along, going to the big dance is the ultimate goal, but a regular conference championship holds a lot more meaning proves how successful that season has been.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
        I have said this all along, going to the big dance is the ultimate goal, but a regular conference championship holds a lot more meaning proves how successful that season has been.
        very true---you want to have something to tell potential recruits. whether it be you made it to the 'big dance' or at least you can tell them your winning Summit season championships.

Comment

SDSU moves up to #20. USD is receiving the 2nd most votes.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            You follow other women's programs closer than I do, I'll give you that. When you say you wished we play a strength of schedule like SDSU, I'm not sure if it's done on purpose, or at the time of making the schedule you can't tell the difference. I looked at your schedule, then looked at ours, and quite frankly both teams are playing about the same amount of games against teams in top tier leagues, and mid major tiers, or at least close.
            Just to add a little to the perspective, for voters looking at teams they do not know very well: RealTimeRPI has SOS (Strength of Schedule) at 117 for SDSU and 251 for USD; and Sagarin rates SDSU at 144, and USD at 234. When USD gets its schedule up to a higher level, they will stand a lot better chance in the ratings.

Comment

Working...
            X