X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU Announces Return to Summit League

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
    oh okay. that makes sense
    And they thought it was a better geographical fit and probably easier competion.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I understand the geographical fit.
      Great moments are born from great opportunities.
      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Why did ORU even leave the SL in the first place?
        I believe they were also concerned that the Summit might not keep enough baseball teams to maintain NCAA automatic qualifier status.

Comment

I don't hear a lot about SUmmit League Baseball..
          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Why did ORU even leave the SL in the first place?
            I believe the Southland was hit by realignment, and lost a couple good schools after ORU moved. Then they signed up some DII transitions, who were just as far away as the xDSU's without anywhere near the fan support. So in other words, it made a lot of sense at the time, but things changed. Things could change again in the future, but the Summit is looking pretty darned good right now.

Also, this could/should serve as a caution for Douple if he is considering pushing for DII schools to fill out the league.

Edit: in other words, the circumstances that made the Southland more attractive to ORU are no longer there.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I found this map showing the different conferences for basketball. Its fun turning on the different ones to see what regions they take up.

http://www.hoopsmap.com/map/conferences.html

Also shows just how ridiculous it is for Northern Colorado and UND to remain in the Big Sky.

Would be great to add them along with UMKC and the previously announced ORU.

New Summit League
              UND/NDSU
              USD/SDSU
              UNC/DU
              UNO/WIU
              UMKC/ORU
              IPFW/IUPUI

Comment

Great find J02...it is fun to check out the grids...particularly the WAC (should be the WAM...What A Monstrosity). The Big Sky is almost as bad, and you are right...whether it happens or not...UND and UNC should be in the Summit for their own interests.

Comment

If UMKC comes back and we are at 10, do we really gain anything by adding more schools? I don't want the Summit to turn into a bloated conference like the Big Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                    If UMKC comes back and we are at 10, do we really gain anything by adding more schools? I don't want the Summit to turn into a bloated conference like the Big Sky.
                    I would agree, I think the Big Sky was looking to future departures by the Montana Schools which has not happened and not likely too. In the mean time they turned their backs on NDSU and SDSU, something that maybe they regret.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-09-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I think 12 would be fine, as long as 11 and 12 are solid schools and fit geographically. A UND and UNC would fit that criteria or even a UALR, but if its Grand Canyon St. or something like that then its not worth it.

Comment

12 schools instead of 10 is 4 more conference games and makes it that much easier to fill a schedule. Hopefully resulting in fewer DII games for conference members. Also adding those two would be great travel partners for existing schools. Generally speaking, more schools doesn't mean a better conference, but in the case of UNC and UND, I think it would be good for rivalries and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          12 schools instead of 10 is 4 more conference games and makes it that much easier to fill a schedule. Hopefully resulting in fewer DII games for conference members. Also adding those two would be great travel partners for existing schools. Generally speaking, more schools doesn't mean a better conference, but in the case of UNC and UND, I think it would be good for rivalries and travel.
                          12 team conferences don't normally play a full double round robin schedule. Normally they are divided into divisions and play a double round robin against the teams in there division and one game against 4 teams and 2 games against the other 2teams for 18 games. But that is still much better than our current 14 game conference schedule.

Comment

How many teams did we have ar the height of the ncc and if not mistaken I think that was always round robin.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              How many teams did we have ar the height of the ncc and if not mistaken I think that was always round robin.

SDSU, NDSU, St. Cloud, Mankato St., UND, Augie, UNO, UNC, USD, Morningside

Played everybody twice for an 18 game conference schedule.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think an 18 game conference schedule is ideal, you want enough non-conference games to help build up your RPI.

Comment

Working...
                                X