• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nidaros
    replied
    Re: UMKC to the WAC?

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    would there be any chance the Big Sky would keep UNC and UND's football programs but let the other sports leave?
    No. I doubt it. Thats why the Big Sky did not look like a good choice for SDSU, no wrestling nor baseball. At least the SL has baseball.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

would there be any chance the Big Sky would keep UNC and UND's football programs but let the other sports leave?

Leave a comment:

• joeybrownerHOF
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    NMSU is a possibility, but I'd like them to get football figured out.

I don't think Air Force is going anywhere though. At the time they were looking at new options the MWC was having some issues, now the MWC is on very solid ground.
    I agree they are more likely not going anywhere and they would need to get the MWC or other FBS conference a waiver for football only. They were looking at moving olympic sports not because the MWC was having issues but their own internal issues on budget and lack of success in the MWC. Such a move is presently known as a KCswitchaRoo.

Leave a comment:

• jacksfan29
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post

I don't think Air Force is going anywhere though. At the time they were looking at new options the MWC was having some issues, now the MWC is on very solid ground.
    I'm not sure what they do with Football. If the Sun Belt doesn't invite them where do they go? The only option other then Independent hell is dropping to FCS. They could invite Idaho to join them though they have already said they will go independent instead of dropping to FCS. If both drop they could then join the Big Sky for all sports. Of course that would mean the Big Sky would have 15 football playing schools which would leave our friends to the north of Fargo in the lurch. They would be the 15th school, way outside of the conference footprint.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
    Then add on Air Force for a topper. They have expressed interest in moving olympic sports out of the MWC. I think they flew a test balloon towards the MVC last year.
    they did consider moving the sports to the MVC if they could move football to the big east, but I don't see any of that happening any more. Though again would be a target to consider.

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

Leave a comment:

• joeybrownerHOF
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    The idea to invite NMSU into the Summit is pretty delicious, I admit.
    Then add on Air Force for a topper. They have expressed interest in moving olympic sports out of the MWC. I think they flew a test balloon towards the MVC last year.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

The idea to invite NMSU into the Summit is pretty delicious, I admit.

Leave a comment:

• jacksfan29
    replied

The Sun Belt would have to be willing to take them back. All indications are that App State and Georgia Southern are at the top of the conference's expansion list right now. Karl Benson has a relationship with NMSU from his WAC days but the schools in the conference have shown no indication that they would go further west then Texas. With the departure of Utah State, NMSU and Idaho year's ago the Sun Belt has become a regional conference based in the South. If App State and Georgia Southern want to move up to FBS with a conference, they will get first dibs on a Sun Belt membership.

NMSU is out on a limb. They could drop to FCS which would open the door for the Big Sky but as Idaho showed when they decided to go independent, dropping from FBS to FCS is a bitter pill to swallow.

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    NMSU's best fit is the Sun Belt, provided the Sun Belt will have them. I would guess that NMSU's administration is focused on getting them into the Sun Belt by hook or by crook.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

I think its like centenary leaving. The writing was on the wall they struggle in th summit which is a good but not great league. Centenary had a lot of issues seperate from umkc but for their own preserverance they need to go to a lower confrence to improve their chances of improving. Not by improving themselves but their putting themselves around worse team by which makes them look better. Its like an average looking girl hanging out with fat friends which inturn makes her more attractive. Its all perception.

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

Rumor is their coach is gone, maybe a prospective coach has said he doesn't want to be in the Summit.

I thought about NMSU, I don't know enough about the school, but they have to at least be on the list of teams to look at.
    NMSU's best fit is the Sun Belt, provided the Sun Belt will have them. I would guess that NMSU's administration is focused on getting them into the Sun Belt by hook or by crook.

Leave a comment:

• jacksfan29
    replied

Kolpack may have nailed it. Think about it, UMKC goes from being a bottom feeder in the Summit to a contender (once NMSU leaves) in the new and "improved" WAC. You have to think that the UMKC AD may not have been overly thrilled with Denver joining. The Pioneer's have money and have greatly improved their BB program. For a school like UMKC that is just one more school in a much improved Summit that you can't compete with. Eventually everyone gets tired of losing. Your choice is to drop to D2 or NAIA, or take the WAC invite and give yourself a chance to compete.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

As for rumors that there is more to come. Could it be that NMSU has been talking with DU about joining them. As I said before, there is no way NMSU stays in the WAC. With DU already scheduled to move and a new opening in the Summit could we really be trading UMKC for NMSU? I for one would be thrilled with that move. More traveling, but a very good upgrade in RPI giving the conference a chance to finally compete for an auto bid. Keep Oakland around and suddenly you could annually see 3 to 5 schools in the top 100 RPI. Douple has proven to be a smart guy. I wouldn't put it past him to pull off another move that none of us expect. How many thought DU would be joining us next year?

Traveling
    NDSU/SDSU
    Omaha/USD
    NMSU/DU
    IPFW/Oakland
    WIU/IUPUI

Oakland is a wild card. If they do leave we will need to find a replacement. I'm not sure where that replacement comes from, but Douple did once again mention UND.

Rumor is their coach is gone, maybe a prospective coach has said he doesn't want to be in the Summit.

I thought about NMSU, I don't know enough about the school, but they have to at least be on the list of teams to look at.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Coach Brown is at the end of a 6 year contract. He had talent there in the past that did not always stick. Reggie Hamilton was one of those transfers. He replaced a popular coach that was let go and the main name floating for his replacement was an assistant under the previous head coach.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jacksfan29
    replied

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    If Summit wants to really thumb their nose to the Roos, should offer NMSU an invite. I'd take a team usually under 150 RPI for one consistently over 250. Make the Cowboys the Denver travel partner. Likewise, like should be offering UNC, UND, if NMSU drops to FCS football, add those 3 schools, and Summit could sponsor an FCS league with 7 members.
    That would be an interesting move. I don't see NMSU staying in the WAC long. The second they find an opportunity they are gone. They have to be pretty embarassed right now. Grand Canyon? Chicago State? How long before NJIT is invited? How long before the Big Sky comes calling with an all but FB membership?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X