Oakland 2013-2014 Schedule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland 2013-2014 Schedule...

The Golden Grizzlies are putting together quite a schedule for next season.....

Nov. 9 @North Carolina
    Nov. 12 @ UCLA
    Nov. 15 @ Cal
    Nov. 17 @ Gonzaga
    Plus a deal to bring Michigan State to the palace is close to complete

The Griz will also play Ohio, Eastern Michigan and Illinois State at home and they will go to Coastal Carolina for a tournament in Myrtle Beach on Thanksgiving weekend.

http://opgrizzden.blogspot.com/2013/...ases-2013.html

Re: Oakland 2013-2014 Schedule...

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    The Golden Grizzlies are putting together quite a schedule for next season.....

Nov. 9 @North Carolina
    Nov. 12 @ UCLA
    Nov. 15 @ Cal
    Nov. 17 @ Gonzaga
    Plus a deal to bring Michigan State to the palace is close to complete

The Griz will also play Ohio, Eastern Michigan and Illinois State at home and they will go to Coastal Carolina for a tournament in Myrtle Beach on Thanksgiving weekend.

http://opgrizzden.blogspot.com/2013/...ases-2013.html
    Coach Kampe is eager to get some money games for the budget and the exposure playing the Bix 6. Even though there were some fans grinding their teeth with some OOC losses, Coach Kampe wants these big games. He wants a program that is competitive in D1 basketball and he not timid about the schedule. His team will be ready for the challenge. Some of the opponents this year were Pitt, West Va, Mich St, Alabama, Tennessee, Valpo, and Boise St. It looks like business as usual for the Grizzlies.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Coach Kampe is eager to get some money games for the budget and the exposure playing the Bix 6. Even though there were some fans grinding their teeth with some OOC losses, Coach Kampe wants these big games. He wants a program that is competitive in D1 basketball and he not timid about the schedule. His team will be ready for the challenge. Some of the opponents this year were Pitt, West Va, Mich St, Alabama, Tennessee, Valpo, and Boise St. It looks like business as usual for the Grizzlies.
      Plus with all these guarantee games Oakland can afford to charter a flight to every Summit League road game.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        Plus with all these guarantee games Oakland can afford to charter a flight to every Summit League road game.
        Honest question. Are NDSU and SDSU not looking for these type of games or not able to get them? Is it financially more beneficial to try and get some mid-major teams into Fargo or Brookings for home games or is that so difficult that it isn't worth pursuing? I assume these are exactly the question are AD staff are trying to get figured out.

I know, as a fan, I want to see some home games against solid mid-majors. I also know that is hard to convince a team to come play in Brookings where the Jackrabbits rarely lose a game.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Honest question. Are NDSU and SDSU not looking for these type of games or not able to get them? Is it financially more beneficial to try and get some mid-major teams into Fargo or Brookings for home games or is that so difficult that it isn't worth pursuing? I assume these are exactly the question are AD staff are trying to get figured out.

I know, as a fan, I want to see some home games against solid mid-majors. I also know that is hard to convince a team to come play in Brookings where the Jackrabbits rarely lose a game.
          Well I think it is pretty telling that Kampe is ecstatic that bracketbuster is dead and Saul is upset about it. I think Saul wants solid home games vs mid-major teams as well. Sadly for NDSU the only series we can get worked out that comes close to that is with Green Bay, which has been great but I just wish we could get an MVC team to agree to a similar arrangement. It still amazes me that NDSU has only played two MVC teams since moving up to DI and not a single one was vs a football playing member.

Comment

The event that could replace the Bracketbuster for the Summit should be on top of the pile for Commissioner Douple and athletic directors to sell the conference whether it would be the Horizon or OVC or MVC. These leagues had a day open for the game on the 23rd this year; why could they not create an event on their own? If the MVC does not want to "risk" a game, move on and make something take shape.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I've had the thought that you could do an extra guarantee game (or two) on the road every year, and then turn around and offer a guarantee to another mid-major or low-major to come in for a single game in Frost. Definite downsides to doing that, but then you also get your name out there as a school that offers guarantees, rather than one who just takes them.

And especially with Butler's departure, I would think the Horizon especially would be in a position where they might be much more inclined to make some kind of scheduling agreement with the SL than they would have before.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I've had the thought that you could do an extra guarantee game (or two) on the road every year, and then turn around and offer a guarantee to another mid-major or low-major to come in for a single game in Frost. Definite downsides to doing that, but then you also get your name out there as a school that offers guarantees, rather than one who just takes them.

And especially with Butler's departure, I would think the Horizon especially would be in a position where they might be much more inclined to make some kind of scheduling agreement with the SL than they would have before.
                Over half of the teams in the SL have horrid RPIs, i don't think you can get an agreement with another league, at least as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  Over half of the teams in the SL have horrid RPIs, i don't think you can get an agreement with another league, at least as a whole.
                  This is true, but you wouldn't be playing those late-season games for the bottom teams in your conference. You're playing them to, in theory, give your top teams a late-season RPI boost.

Sagarin, today, Horizon then Summit
                  71 - 75
                  82 - 94
                  120 - 153
                  150 - 174
                  161 - 252
                  170 - 299
                  186 - 307
                  201 - 321
                  280 - 323
                  Plus next year's SL member Denver is #83, making things a lot more than equitable (at the top end, anyway) between the two conferences.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There is such a thing that we may not look to have games late like a bracketbuster; it could be structured similar to the ACC-Big10 early in the season. The Summit could use more mid major credibility. It is just taking longer to get the whole membership on the move(even though IUPUI's season is injury related) to attain the higher RPI or Sagarin or other statistical measurements. As noted, Denver will add to the bottom line. Whatever shape things might take, I would be looking to the conference leadership and the atheletic directors to figure this out.

Comment

But it is a valid point that the bottom of the Summit League really needs to get their poop in a group, basketball-wise. The fact that three league men's basketball programs rank below #300 (and one is right on the edge) is simply unacceptable--and hopefully the league office is repeatedly making that point to the member schools. If that means the league mandates additional "power-conference" RPI-builder games like they only allow one lower-division game every year, then so be it. Or maybe there are other ways to boost the bottom end of the conference. But it's a huge problem for the Summit League, and it's dragging down the schools at the top (no matter who those schools are in any particular year).
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If they want to create a bracketbuster I'm sure they can, I'm sure NBC Sports, or the Fox Sports Networks or CBS sports would be more then willing to put something together. The problem I had with it and I think many was the amount of games that made little RPI sense or travel sense. (SDSU-St. Mary's, Creighton Belmont)- both make more RPI sense and travel sense.

As far as XDSU scheduling these type of matchups. IDK, for sure. I think its a little of both can't and won't. I remember Nagy saying he was having problems getting good guarantee games because they were performing well against big house teams. (ISU, Iowa, Wyoming, Washington, New Mexico), have played Minnesota close in the past. At the same time I think Nagy would rather play the Montana's, Belmonts, Central Michigan's, CSU-Bakersfields of the world because he would rather have them return to Frost then get a game check.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          If they want to create a bracketbuster I'm sure they can, I'm sure NBC Sports, or the Fox Sports Networks or CBS sports would be more then willing to put something together. The problem I had with it and I think many was the amount of games that made little RPI sense or travel sense. (SDSU-St. Mary's, Creighton Belmont)- both make more RPI sense and travel sense.

As far as XDSU scheduling these type of matchups. IDK, for sure. I think its a little of both can't and won't. I remember Nagy saying he was having problems getting good guarantee games because they were performing well against big house teams. (ISU, Iowa, Wyoming, Washington, New Mexico), have played Minnesota close in the past. At the same time I think Nagy would rather play the Montana's, Belmonts, Central Michigan's, CSU-Bakersfields of the world because he would rather have them return to Frost then get a game check.
                          We could get lucky like the Grizzlies where they have played Tennessee for a few years and they even win and Tennessee would still play. That is the notion that Kampe brings to the table that he wants to be a major basketball program. However, if we could get some good home and home at the mid major through our own effort or a conference sponsored effort, that might make the scheduling thing a bit easier and still get good games.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            But it is a valid point that the bottom of the Summit League really needs to get their poop in a group, basketball-wise. The fact that three league men's basketball programs rank below #300 (and one is right on the edge) is simply unacceptable--and hopefully the league office is repeatedly making that point to the member schools. If that means the league mandates additional "power-conference" RPI-builder games like they only allow one lower-division game every year, then so be it. Or maybe there are other ways to boost the bottom end of the conference. But it's a huge problem for the Summit League, and it's dragging down the schools at the top (no matter who those schools are in any particular year).
                            Agreed. Another problem is teams having a decent RPI on a consistent basis. Just 2 years ago NDSU was 240 and Western Illinois was about 335. I know,easier said then done.

Comment

I think whoever does a similar event in the future should pick a formula (like RPI vs like RPI, home pool and away pool) and let the games happen, without fixing it to get one or two matchups that they think people want to see. The interest for the event came from having the good teams in a given year up against similar good teams, regardless of how they impacted conferences' perception of themselves or teams' perception of what they have to gain/lose relative to their opponent. The Creighton/St. Mary's game seems like it was forced at the expense of almost every other matchup in Bracketbusters this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X